LED 500 v's LED 700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"All these lights are so bright they max the center of each beam in the photo to pure white... thus it's not possible to get a feel for relative intensity."

:shakehead: Any chance you can get someone to school those DRE guys a bit on the basics of photographic exposure? The pictures and description suggest that they have no working knowledge of cameras. The results posted are at best confusing and at worst downright deceiving.

"These actual photographs below helps to illustrate the difference between beam widths" - DRE guys coped properly with the challenge

Hi CaliJoe,

The upgrade price to retro fit the MR11 head (HID only) to an LED700 is $150. The upgrade is only possible for lights that have the black metal hard coat.
You can send the light in directly to us. Dive Rite will only accept returned equipment that has been issued a “Return Authorization Number” from the Dive Rite Service Department. To request a Return Authorization Number, call Dive Rite Service at 1-386-752-1087 and provide the following information:

• Detailed description of the problem
  • Product name, model number and serial number (if applicable)
  • Date of Purchase
Ship well-packed and protected to:

• Dive Rite
    RA # XXXXXX
    175 NW Washington Street
    Lake City, Florida 32055
Dive Rite will only receive product that has a valid “Return Authorization Number” plainly visible on the outside of the box. Dive Rite is not responsible for damage due to shipping so be sure to pack carefully.

Best,
Ag

Dive Rite has just gone to the top of my list in tech diving equipment! That is really a generous policy! I think that most manufacturers would happily let their customers buy a whole new light. My only hope is that Dive Rite not let this offer expire (so I can wait until my Sunspot bulb dies a natural death).

Very cool! Kudos to Dive Rite!

Bob

I had the chance to try the DR 700 today. Compared it to my 21w Salvo. I won't be getting rid of the Salvo anytime soon. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to try the new H1000. Someone else needed to test it at the only time I had available.

"These actual photographs below helps to illustrate the difference between beam widths" - DRE guys coped properly with the challenge

You can't confidently draw that conclusion from these videos - the overexposure is such that the relative falloffs of the beam widths are masked. One beam could have a hotspot and narrow spill, another could have a uniform throw with no hotspot, and you could never be able to tell from these pictures.

I had the chance to try the DR 700 today. Compared it to my 21w Salvo. I won't be getting rid of the Salvo anytime soon. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to try the new H1000. Someone else needed to test it at the only time I had available.

To be fair, the Salvo 700, presumably 700 lumens, is better compared to a 500 lumen 10w HID than a 1500 lumen 21w :)

To be fair, the Salvo 700, presumably 700 lumens, is better compared to a 500 lumen 10w HID than a 1500 lumen 21w :)

True, true... The DR did seem nice, but it was a bit more "red" than I thought it would be.

Have you dove it? I'm wondering if the color/penetration of the LED is comparable to the HID? I know the ads and blog are saying so, but I'd like an opinion outside of the manufacturer (no offense intended to Dive Rite on this comment). If the characteristics are similar to the HID I'll seriously consider the LED refit. The conversion isn't much more than the HID bulb....

Not yet just got back from the Keys. Next Wed or Thurs I plan on trying it out.

Ag,
I have a question about what can be upgraded. I am not sure about the 'hard black' metal. I suppose this refers to Hard Black Anodize ??

My light head is black and metal. The configuration is it has a gray cord and the older MR16 body style bulb (having a 'built in' reflector). Obviously it is fixed focus and has a Slim Line (which I don't think matters.)

I'd upgrade mine if it is possible. Do you need to return the whole unit or just the light head/lid? Or is this covered when you get an RMA?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your question. Any black metal MR11 can get converted to LED700, but not grey metal. The grey metal is an older style light.

Just send in the light head/lid, no need to send in the whole light.

Get in touch with us re an RMA. I hope you'll love the diving the upgraded light!

Best,
Ag

We're a Dive Rite dealer and we just received our first LED700 last week. One of our most experienced instructors dove with it and he can't stop raving about it's incredible performance. Used it on four night dives on the same charge. Everyone here is impressed with the compact size vs light output. We just added it to our on-line store. I'm sure it's going to be a very popular seller.
Larry

We're a Dive Rite dealer and we just received our first LED700 last week. One of our most experienced instructors dove with it and he can't stop raving about it's incredible performance. Used it on four night dives on the same charge. Everyone here is impressed with the compact size vs light output. We just added it to our on-line store. I'm sure it's going to be a very popular seller.
Larry
That is a great price that you have on the light too. I just bought a used MR11 for a good price and planned on upgrading it when the bulb is gone, but at almost $100 under MSRP, by the time I pay for the upgrade and shipping, I could have had a new light from you. Oh well, next time I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom