Legionnaires disease

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just another reason never to rinse your mask/snorkel/regulator in the community rinse tank. Choose somewhere else for these items.

Hmm, just wondering. I have always rinsed my 2nd stage and AIR2 mouthpieces with tap water from the hose at the house we stay in on Cozumel. I never gave it a 2nd thought but I wonder how safe that is? I have a pretty strong stomach and have never gotten sick after many trips to Cozumel.

Now that I am thinking of it, I don't really want to dwell on the times years ago when I used to rinse them in those big sink-like tanks at Hotel Cozumel by the pier. Yech! :shocked2:

:rofl3: At the very least he'll be Googling up a storm and posting 101 links. :cool2:

...I was kinda hoping he'd be chiming in with a scary (but educational) tale of a prior close encounter with the dreaded disease, but given his expertise with hunting down bargain airfares, he got a really good price on a flight to the nearest DAN-certified hospital where the experts were able to save him! :)

Yeah, I try to avoid communal rinse tanks with pissy wetsuits, snotty masks, and slobered regs but you take what you can at times. I never ever use a mask bucket! I do have an antiseptic spray for mouth pieces and soak my masks in tap water in the room. I think the cold water is safe enough and really suspect it's those black roof tanks for prewarming hot water that are the biggest risk - especially when you have to shower with only the hot side on but barely warm.
...I was kinda hoping he'd be chiming in with a scary (but educational) tale of a prior close encounter with the dreaded disease, but given his expertise with hunting down bargain airfares, he got a really good price on a flight to the nearest DAN-certified hospital where the experts were able to save him! :)
I try... :idk:

Yeah, I try to avoid communal rinse tanks with pissy wetsuits, snotty masks, and slobered regs but you take what you can at times. I never ever use a mask bucket! I do have an antiseptic spray for mouth pieces and soak my masks in tap water in the room. I think the cold water is safe enough and really suspect it's those black roof tanks for prewarming hot water that are the biggest risk - especially when you have to shower with only the hot side on but barely warm.

I try... :idk:

...no worries Don, I'm sure you know we're just kidding with ya...and appreciate your input here on SB! :)

Actually, I know someone who's husband got this disease last year in March when staying there. He came home and was very sick for awhile, hospitalized as I remember, for over a week. I didn't really know much detail about it until this study came out and she posted it on Facebook.

robin

We've been at Wyndham every April for several years and not had any issues.

Each year, between 8,000 and 18,000 people are hospitalized with Legionnaires disease in the U.S. However, many infections are not diagnosed or reported.

Legionnaires Disease can have symptoms like many other forms of pneumonia, so it can be hard to diagnose at first. Signs of the disease can include: a high fever, chills, and a cough. Some people may also suffer from muscle aches and headaches. Chest X-rays are needed to find the pneumonia caused by the bacteria, and other tests can be done on sputum (phlegm), as well as blood or urine to find evidence of the bacteria in the body.

The likelihood of Legionella infection can be best reduced by good engineering practices in the operation and maintenance of air and water handling systems. Cooling towers and evaporative condensers should be inspected and thoroughly cleaned at least once a year. Corroded parts, such as drift eliminators, should be replaced. Algae and accumulated scale should be removed. These measures will not only control the growth of germs, but will also maintain operating efficiency. During cleaning operations in confined spaces, safety procedures for entry into confined spaces should be applied.

Cooling water should be treated constantly. Ideally, an automatic water treatment system should be used that continuously controls the quality of the circulating water.

The disinfectants commonly used in cooling towers are chlorine, dibromonitrilopropionamide, and ammonia derivatives called quaternary ammonium compounds. They appear to be effective in laboratory tests, but their value in practice has not been completely proven. It is important that any disinfectant used in a cooling tower water system be compatible with the tower's construction materials.

Fresh air intakes should not be built close to cooling towers since contaminated aerosols may enter the ventilation system. Air filters should be examined, cleaned and/or replaced periodically and tested for leaks. Cooling towers should be positioned so the drift or evaporate does not enter the fresh air intake. Hot water tanks, which might provide ideal conditions for the growth of Legionella, should be cleaned regularly. The water system should be flushed out on a regular basis to prevent the water from stagnating.

245669d1335851188-hayabusa-back-being-fastest-stock-motor-bike-holy-thread-resurrection.jpg

Maybe so, but it raises an important point: "Fresh air intakes should not be built close to cooling towers since contaminated aerosols may enter the ventilation system. Air filters should be examined, cleaned and/or replaced periodically and tested for leaks. Cooling towers should be positioned so the drift or evaporate does not enter the fresh air intake. Hot water tanks, which might provide ideal conditions for the growth of Legionella, should be cleaned regularly. The water system should be flushed out on a regular basis to prevent the water from stagnating."

Certainly it's possible that some air compressors have their fresh air intakes located somewhere near cooling towers? That means that it's possible Legionella could get into a scuba tank. In fact, I'd be surprised if it hadn't happened already, that it wasn't a major problem like the rampant CO poisoning on the island. Therefore, I demand that they start integrating in-line Legionella detectors at all fill stations in Cozumel, and I'll never dive there again without bringing my personal Legionella detector on the boat to analyze my own tanks. Only a completely rogue diver would skip that necessary safety step!

Legionella detectors available for $495 plus shipping and handling and are very hard to find. Fortunately I have a "friend" who sells them, please contact me for details.

Remember, only rogue divers fail to analyze their tanks for Legionella before every dive. Don't be a fool!

Hi Windy and welcome to SB. You were certified thru SOLAS?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom