LeisurePro vs LDS Package quote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delalaym

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently looking for a scuba package. I live in Canada and the quote I got here would be around 1900$. I want the following:

BCD Zeagle Stiletto
MK17/G250V Reg
R290 Octopus
Cressi Mini Gauge
Mares Puck

Leisure Pro makes it for around 1100$ and since the Canadian and US $ are 1 for 1 (almost), it comes to 1100$ Canadian + shipping. I know they don't offer the manufacturer's warranty but for that much of a difference, does it really matter?

Has anyone had any experience buying regulators and such from LeisurePro? Any problems?

Thanks!

you are new here, so hopefully folks will be gentle on you for asking Leisure pro questions. (as this subject as been beat to death.)

But there are several past threads for buying regulator from Leisure Pro. (or any other gear). just use the search engine and put in "Leisure Pro"

See if your LDS can come down and come close to their prices. Otherwise, IF IT WAS MY MONEY. I'd save that $800 and buy from LP. (just my opinion).

FYI.... LP is an authorized dealer for Zeagle and Mares . ('d have to double check Cressi though). So you'd get a factory warranty for the Zeagle and Mares item, just like buying from your LDS.

You will also pay import duties, which can be steep for new equipment, and they will call some of the gauges "electronics" and "sport equipment" also many times will raise the import duties. Ask LP about this - they should be able to tell you what the import fees will be.

Also, weigh what it will cost you in your relationship with your LDS. Ask yourself, what would I do (for example, when you need air) if my LDS was not here.

I would recommend, that after you get the final price from LP, that you would speak openly (about internet price) to your LDS and see if they can come down a bit. You may (or not) be surprise that they will be willing to give you a better package deal than what they originally told you. One thing that I should warn you. It's not right to "waste" someone's time while using them to find out all the fancy equipment and then buy elsewhere. Also, if you have any problems your LDS would likely just loan you some of their rental equipment while yours is being serviced - if you purchased from them. The convenience of a LDS vs the hassles of sending back to the manufacture or to LP for service is sometimes priceless.

I bought my original equipment from my LDS, I now shop Craigslist, internet, and my LDS. I bought my Oceanic Veo from my LDS (after the boss came down considerably from retail) when I took the Nitrox class. They gladly help me with any questions concerning my computer. However, when I bought my backup Suunto Vyper from Craigslist they also gladly helped me with it as well. Again, relationships are priceless.

drdaddy has made some great points above and ONLY YOU will have to decide how important his points are to YOU. I am also lucky that I live in NYC and have about a dozen LDS's to choose from in addition to LP should I need them. However, I rarely do and find that the internet meets most of my needs. For example, I have also shopped at other LDS/internet shops with pleasure like Scuba Toys and others. I also go to a few LDS's that don't play the "ask me for a lower price and I will guilt you to death because I chose to open a business" game. For that alone, I give them my business.

The used option is also a GREAT option. Between the avid diver who buys new gear every month and the one time vacation diver, you should be able to find a nice deal somewhere.

For me personally, I chose LP initially and still do for some things. LP also matches the "MAN" warranty for items they aren't authorized dealers for.

IMHO, I don't care what a LDS does for you personally if they charge you 40% more than someone else just because they are in your hood. We now live in a global economy and that's just the way it is. I don't like being forced to "pay more for friends or for air." The LDS I go to marks gear at competitive prices to "the internet" and they don't force people to have to ask for a MUCH better price or get burned because they didn't ask. VERY few businesses get away with this silliness so why should the scuba business? It's an insult to me personally. If I wanted to haggle, I would go buy silver in Cozumel. :wink:

I find that I would rather buy two reg sets at LP's price rather than buy one set at many LDS's prices. But again, that's ME and you may find your not ready or willing to be self sufficient yet. And remember, LP isn't your only affordable internet option.

THAT SAID, it's your decision and you may find that your LDS doesn't give you a guilt trip.

I would do a search on LP as said above...you will find thousands of posts on this very topic.

Last edited:
After you figure out the taxes, give your LDS to chance to come close to the LP price. Even if they cannot match price, if they come close and/or toss in some air-cards or something I would stay local. It is worth a small premium. If they won't budge, then at least you gave them a chance.

FWIW: My LDS would not budge. I buy most of my gear from LP and ScubaToys. No regrets.

While I really don't think it will ever become a problem, I have asked myself where will I get air if the local shop closes because some of us saved a fair amount of money by shopping for good deals. I finally decided that I would go to the same shop(s) that the LDS faithful turn to when our local shop closes.

I live in Canada and have purchased much from LP over the years (big and small, inexpensive and expensive). I have never had a problem buying anything from LP and will do it again. Make sure you know what Duties customs will ding you with and what the clearance fee will be for it. I have had good luck shipping USPS to Canada because you do not get stuck with any duties BUT you get charged taxes on every shipment of goods.

Just one more thing for you to look into. I say do your homework and save the money if you can.

Hi,

I am currently looking for a scuba package. I live in Canada and the quote I got here would be around 1900$. I want the following:

BCD Zeagle Stiletto
MK17/G250V Reg
R290 Octopus
Cressi Mini Gauge
Mares Puck

Leisure Pro makes it for around 1100$ and since the Canadian and US $ are 1 for 1 (almost), it comes to 1100$ Canadian + shipping. I know they don't offer the manufacturer's warranty but for that much of a difference, does it really matter?

Has anyone had any experience buying regulators and such from LeisurePro? Any problems?

Thanks!

I always buy from my LDS, I try to get them to lower any marked price and then I pay them, however from your post, saving $800 dollars(or CDN), heck If my LDS went out of business I would buy a compressor for about $800 off ebay. :D and learn to dive from SB. :rofl3:

At some point the dive shops really need to be able to compete with LP, not real sure why they cant. volume I guess.

go make the LDS day, hand them a chunk of money and be their friend for life. or send off to LP and if it is not right well you saved a bunch of money so you can afford shipping it back.

very good answers here

being the son of a shop owner, i am kind of bias to the buying of and supporting your LDS. but that is not to say i dont buy gear from other shops and northeast dive supply.

you should be able to go into your LDS and talk to them about making you an offer. in this time of economic trouble the shop should want to make some money instead of not making any money. also you have the ability to talk to them about why you want to but the gear you are choosing and know that they will be able to help you with any future problems you may have in the future.

as far as LP and scuba toys and the such, the person who said volume is correct. the BIG difference is that if they are an authorized dealer they can not sell the gear below what is called MAP ( manufactors adverised price ). this price is the same for all authorized dealers, the only difference is the profit the shop will make. they have a different price for dealers depending on how much of a manufactors gear they but a year.

that is the reason some shops dont want to make a deal. they will lose out on the profit margin. but that is just bad on them. they are in a customer based service, and if they want to keep the doors open, should be willing to make deals and new customers, but at the same time keep old customers coming back. but this is just my opinion. you can agree with it or not.

for the $800 dollar difference, find out what you will lose in not having the warenty. do they give you parts for life? how much will the LDS charge you for the service, over sending it back to LP every year. i konw we have a $5 price difference for people that buy a reg from us on the servicing. this is a idea we have as to have someone decide to buy from us instead of someone else.

this is about all i can think of right now without having 15 paragraphs more to this response. good luck shopping

Back
Top Bottom