LeisurePro vs LDS Package quote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think one of the more important considerations is, where will you have you equipment serviced when it needs it? Some LDS will not service equipment that was not purchased from them. What is the local cost vs shipping back and forth? Also some manufactures offer lifetime parts, but only from authorized dealers and authorized repair centers. Otherwise the repair cost is insane! IE, Scubapro offers lifetime batteries on dive computers, bought from authorized dealer and original registered owner. If not cost is over $200.00!!!! for a battery! Things to consider, especially when buying from Ebay or Craigslist, not that it`s a bad thing, I have many times, but do you homework first. Also what if you have a question about your equipment? Email back and forth, somtimes waiting several days, for an answer that may not be clear to you. Or talk to somone face to face who knows the equipment well and get an answer that your happy with! And by supporting your LDS you help keep them afloat! In my area that is very important! nearest is 15 miles next is 50, and I won`t go there! Next over 100 miles! So if my LDS closes it would end my diving! Just my 2 cents.

Yes, a very important consideration. LDSs that refuse service because they don't approve of where you did business should be put out of business for the good of the rest of the shops. Cull the weak so the strong have a better chance. Cost should be a consideration in both acquisition and service. Free parts that are conditional on annual service usually require you to service more often than needed and result in high costs, no lower. Scubapro computers that require manufacture service at ridiculous costs should be avoided. Paying hundreds more at acquisition expecting a payoff some years down the road is a scam that few divers benefit from.

I agree with awap and scuba toys 100%.

A 200 dollar battery is SP being silly and trying to continue to strong arm the average diver. Folks, just buy two reg sets from LP or another internet/LDS provider like ST or NE Scuba. It costs about the same as one from a LDS who refuses to at least meet the going price for gear.

I have never ever met a LDS that refused to service gear from a paying customer. I think this must mostly happen in very small towns where only one dive shop exists within 100's of miles and the LDS owner is just dying to go out of business.

I recently bought a Dahon folding bike and later found out that the very popular and reputable bike shop I bought it from wasn't an authorized dealer and in fact purchased the bike they sold me through the grey market even though they told me they were authorized dealers. Go figure but not too surprising as these bikes can be hard to find and very few shops sell them in large numbers. I contacted Dahon and guess what? They honored their warranty on the bike I purchased without question. Scuba Pro should take note.

Last edited:
Wow. Thansk guys for a the replies! I finally went with LP. I could not pass it up.
The brokerage fees with UPS were included in the shipping (because it was Express. Never, NEVER choose Standard when shipping to Canada otherwise, you're getting slammed with a weird fees.)

The difference was too great. I got everything for 1400$ (Canadian). Here, with taxes and everything, it would have been about 2300$ (Canadian).

The shipping was extremely fast. I ordered around lunch. It was shipped that same night, everything assembled. I got the package two days later and everything was in there. Perfect!

Now I just have to go try it all (this week) :)

Thanks!

The brokerage fees with UPS were included in the shipping (because it was Express. Never, NEVER choose Standard when shipping to Canada otherwise, you're getting slammed with a weird fees.)

This has not been my experience with any shipment coming from the states so I hope it is different for you. Any time I have shipped cross border via Puro, Fed Ex, or UPS I have always seen the customs charges (typically well after the fact too). The only way I have found to get around them is to ship USPS where you only pay the taxes when you pick it up at the post office. No matter what, you have a shiny new toy coming to play with. Enjoy it.

you guys took what i said out of context, and i am sorry, maybe i should of been more specific. they can not advertise the price in a paper, flyer, or web site and the such below the MAP without prior approval from the manufactor. they can sell it for what ever price they want in the store.

something might have a MAP of $200, but you walk in the store, and they might give it to you for $150 if they choose too. they did not advertise below the price so they did not do anything wrong.

i was just trying to point out why LP and the such always have a lower price then the shops do. again sorry for any confusion, and thank you to the people who did point this out to make you aware of it. like i said in the end of the first post, that was all i wanted to say with out having more paragraphs in the post.

and after going back and looking at my first post, i did write sell instead of advertise. again my fault and sorry for this. thank you to the two that caught my error and corrected it. sometimes my finger and brain are not working at the same speed and i put down the wrong word. but as for where i was going with the origanal post, i think i was getting at selling online at a lower then MAP price for authorized dealers.

Good day, delalaym,

I am a Canuck who bought most of his dive gear through LP - NEVER a problem. I'd do it again. The duty rates were negligible, zero in most cases.

CALL LP - they can often give you better rates over the phone than they can on the website.

Here in southern Alberta, I can get the goods shipped to the Sweetgrass Montana border crossing - see attheborderstorage.com . If you are heading across to the US anyways, you can (in most cases) get your shipping for free if shipped from LP within the continental US.

Finally, consider making an offer to your LDS - I do this all the time. I email them, telling them what the LP price is (after exchange and shipping to the border) and ask them how close they can come to the LP price - they often get VERY close.

Quick question: now that I have my gear should I bring it to a dive shop so they can perform a bench test on it? Or is it usually good to go right out of the box? I am going to a deep pool on Friday and I figured this was enough to test...
Any comments?

Thanks!

Quick question: now that I have my gear should I bring it to a dive shop so they can perform a bench test on it? Or is it usually good to go right out of the box? I am going to a deep pool on Friday and I figured this was enough to test...
Any comments?

Thanks!

It is usually good to go. You should be able to inspect your own gear. Check the sticky in the reg forum for their inspection. BCD - inflate & check for leaks and check each valve functions.

Any comments?

Thanks!

IF you bought all your gear brand new then: Assemble your gear carefully, do a thorough check on land to make sure everything breathes that should and everything holds air that should and that the valves perform properly. If everything checks out, jump in the pool and simply pay attention to everything. If you bought the gear used then it might be a good idea to have it serviced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom