Lembeh in August. Where? Anything better than Divers Lodge Lembeh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FloridaSun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 9 nights (8 diving days) towards the end of August for some diving in Lembeh. I have my flight to Manado but now I need to figure out where to go. I was recently at LDR in Tulamben and am now completely spoiled by having a private guide for my dives. Where should I go?

I don’t require luxury accommodations…just somewhere clean, comfortable, and safe (I’ll have $10k of UW photo equipment that I’d like to bring home with me). I’ll be traveling by myself so I do have to pay attention to single supplements since it can be significant at some places. I’m most concerned with:
(a) small diver-guide ratio
(b) getting in 4-5 dives a day
(c) minimizing time spent going to/from dive sites
(d) in the USD $200-$300 per day range, inclusive of everything but Bintang

I don’t really care about number of steps or ac/fan.

Divers Lodge Lembeh has an unlimited dive package with private guide/boat for about $300 per day, including room/food. However, I’ve read that the boat rides can be long. Does anyone have any experience with the long rides? I see some recent TripAdvisor reviews where people discussed getting in 5 dives/day so it can’t be too bad (although I’d rather not eat cold/boring lunches on the boat for 8 days).

Is there anything out that that would be a better fit for me?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Can highly recommend twofish divers. Have been there twice. Falls well below your daily budget and can easily do 4-5dives a day. Basic to cottage superior rooms, clean, fan only but food is good and plenty of it (basic Indonesian and international).have spent 2 weeks there before. Guides good and although management has changed I think it is a great option. They are in central lembeh straight so most sites are within 20mins or less. They have wifi also. Small black sand beach. Tarsiers in the trees. Check it out. They also run ops in bunaken Sanur lembongan and lombok.

The boat rides from DLL are longer than many other options. To get the same number of dives you stay out on the boat between dives and only return to the lodge at noon. That would be the only down side of DLL. Otherwise a good choice. I have been to DLL, Black Sands and NAD. All excellent and nothing really to choose between them. Purely subjective but I would rate NAD guides as the best, Black Sands food and accommodation as the best and Black Sands as having the shortest boat rides (they return to the lodge after every dive).

The boat rides from DLL are longer than many other options. To get the same number of dives you stay out on the boat between dives and only return to the lodge at noon. That would be the only down side of DLL. Otherwise a good choice. I have been to DLL, Black Sands and NAD. All excellent and nothing really to choose between them. Purely subjective but I would rate NAD guides as the best, Black Sands food and accommodation as the best and Black Sands as having the shortest boat rides (they return to the lodge after every dive).

How many dives are typical at DLL before returning around noon? Any thoughts on the house reef at NAD?

---------- Post added May 29th, 2015 at 01:25 PM ----------

Can highly recommend twofish divers. Have been there twice. Falls well below your daily budget and can easily do 4-5dives a day. Basic to cottage superior rooms, clean, fan only but food is good and plenty of it (basic Indonesian and international).have spent 2 weeks there before. Guides good and although management has changed I think it is a great option. They are in central lembeh straight so most sites are within 20mins or less. They have wifi also. Small black sand beach. Tarsiers in the trees. Check it out. They also run ops in bunaken Sanur lembongan and lombok.

Yeah, Two Fish was my initial thought but they only guarantee 4:1 diver-guide ratio. They do offer a private guide for 50 Euro/day. But once that's factored in, it's only about $15 extra per day to go to DLL with a private guide/boat and up to 5 dives a day.

Last edited:
How many dives are typical at DLL before returning around noon? Any thoughts on the house reef at NAD?

Two dives, return for lunch. Then two dives in the afternoon is my recollection. Did not dive the house reef at NAD - there had been a lot of rain and it was silted out. House reef at DLL had Mandarin fish and house reef at Black Sands is one of the dive sites in the Straight.

Greetings from Lembeh FloridaSun,

As a 4 star resort in Lembeh Strait, we are often overlooked by travelers on a budget. In 2012, we built garden view rooms that are perfect for the single traveler or smaller budget; with all the amenities of a 4 star resort available. As a photographer you may be interested to know Lembeh Resort currently has the only full time photo center with dedicated photo pro on site and all of our senior guides have been trained in photography to be better able to assist avid underwater photographers (private guides available). Our camera room has plenty of work space, lighting, storage and security. Our in-house marine biologist has trained and continually tests our guides in marine life knowledge and behavior to give you the best experience possible. Our central location (5-15 min to sites) allows our guests to return after each dive to relax, charge batteries or change lenses, have a snack, hot cocoa, coffee or tea.

Wherever you choose to stay in Lembeh Strait we hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy the "weird and unusual".

P.S. Make sure you do nights dives, they are AMAZING in Lembeh and the Mandarin dives are a do NOT miss!

Hope to sea you soon,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom