Lemon Shark Migrations: When and how long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen lots of them off Juno between Jupiter and West Palm Beach. For you coming down from up there, Jupiter is your best bet - save you an 30 miles of driving.
There is no set season or guarantee you'll see them - January seems to be the best time.
It would be fine by me if they got tired hanging out up there and came down to the county line, but then, I was kinda hoping the Vandenberg would wind up a little north of the Hydro Atlantic.
So if you're going to try to see them, don't wait too long like I always seem to.

Jupiter

A lot depends on the h20 temp; they seem to prefer cooler temps (less then 72 - in Jupiter last Sunday it was 74 at the bottom, so we are going in the right direction)

The last two years the biggest congregations were actually seen in December. On a trip I did on a private boat the second week in December we saw a group of 15 to 20 on the Wrecks off of Jupiter. As far as I know that was the biggest sighting this year.

Last year the big group was also seen in late December, but I don't think we have a great handle on this animal behavior.

In the last few days there have been a couple here and there from local reports, but no bit groups.

Another challange is a big group - like 20 folks on a dive charter jumping into the water - tends to spook them

While I'm going on the Jan 3rd dive out of JDC, and hoping for the best, agreement is you tend to have a better shot with fewer divers in the water. Angie, one of the DM's from JDC saw a bunch last year diving from her boat at the MG111 site.

I'm due for some good luck this year; went almost every weekend from late December to March and saw an aggregation of 3, twice! But the conditions were not ideal - hope this year is better.

And yes, this is such a unique opportunity so close to home that I do admit I'm a little obsessed, especially since 2 years ago I saw like 40 - unforgetable!

I took this photo early December of this year.
mid_43-8745E173837C46B5A3067D3335BC9C1C.jpg

I only saw two on the Zion yesterday. There were no sharks on the MGIII. They prefer to gather when there is a decent current (they told me so.) Yesterday, there was very little current so I think they are scattering around the reefs. You could try Capt. Mikes Reef. Look on top of the reef in the sandy areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom