Lending Gear yay or nay

Are you ok to lend your gears to others?

• Yes

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving a few years back, finished my dive and a Japanese guy from out of my prefecture had come down to dive, he forgot his fins, I lent him mine and waited until he'd finished.

I don't "like" lending regs but will if it means someone gets to dive.

No problem lending other items on the proviso that it's understood if they loose it they pay for it, price is advised in advance.

I will usually keep extra weights, masks, lights, etc in my car. If I have extra, I will loan it out. If needed, I could kit out another diver. I had a friend who was a new diver and I knew she wasn’t earning a lot, so I would bring tanks for her whenever needed Rather than have her rent.

I borrowed a compass once on a charter in NJ and two days later I realized it still attached to my hose. Felt really bad about that. I figure, within reason, you pay it forward when you help someone else out.

Depends on the person and on the gear.

I’ve lent a regulator to a close friend when his was jacked up. We were on the same boat and I had a spare regulator with me. There are only a couple people that I’d loan a reg or computer (probably one of the Oceanics, not my Perdix) to.

There’s a larger group that I’d loan tanks or masks, fins, etc. It really depends.

The lawsuit mentioned earlier is somewhat surprising as conveyed. I guess it’s possible, but I’d really like to know the details. I would expect that properly functioning gear loaned to a certified diver would offer some level of immunity to the lender, but I guess that is a risk.

I lend out whatever I can, help wherever I can. I have needed stuff (especially in the beginning when I didn't have all my ducks in a row) and I was blessed with people around me that would let me try new things. I feel obligated to pass it forward and tbh I've met some great people along the way doing so.

As stated above, depends.

I've loaned a full set of gear to my boss once, but it was more of a bribe to go play before work.

Normally it comes down to how well I know the person, how well they normally are and what is to be borrowed. Not much of an issue with "try these fins and see if you like them better" after a discussion about different fin designs. A spare xxx because they left the normal one at home and it is not a normal thing. My tank is in hydro and I can't dive this weekend, take one of mine.

I've even loaned a fairly decent starter kit to a friend who was looking to get into diving and wanted to try it out. Got him setup decent so I could send him off to a "try dive" and actually try diving and not fighting random rental gear. Didn't work, he went off and got all crazy in mountain bikes instead.

Just reminded me, Saturday I was fully kitted up with doubles on my back (but still on the bench). A newer diver said he couldn't do the next dive because his octo had a freeflow. I took my kit off, pulled the wrenches out and swapped my deco hose with 2nd stage over to his 1st (plain jane open water dive). Back up and running in under 5 min.

I know what it's like to get to that point of "oh sh!t" at a dive site and because of one little thing you can't get under. If I can help someone get out of that by an o ring or a set of tools or whatever why wouldn't I? I won't go without, but if I have a spare why not.

I have had people lend me DPV, heated vest, compressor, etc. The stuff I lend out (to pay it forward) is bread crumbs compared to what's been lent to me.

And hey... the next time I have a flat or need an o ring I hope it pays off!!

Just reminded me, Saturday I was fully kitted up with doubles on my back (but still on the bench). A newer diver said he couldn't do the next dive because his octo had a freeflow. I took my kit off, pulled the wrenches out and swapped my deco hose with 2nd stage over to his 1st (plain jane open water dive). Back up and running in under 5 min.

I know what it's like to get to that point of "oh sh!t" at a dive site and because of one little thing you can't get under. If I can help someone get out of that by an o ring or a set of tools or whatever why wouldn't I? I won't go without, but if I have a spare why not.

I have had people lend me DPV, heated vest, compressor, etc. The stuff I lend out (to pay it forward) is bread crumbs compared to what's been lent to me.

And hey... the next time I have a flat or need an o ring I hope it pays off!!
That is kind of my outlook. I know of a charter operator in Ontario that lent an entire charter boat to a different operator a few years ago. They blew an engine in the middle of a trip. Helping out when you can makes the world an easier place to exist. I have lent compressors and boosters to shops when stuff goes down. It all comes back around eventually.

That is kind of my outlook. I know of a charter operator in Ontario that lent an entire charter boat to a different operator a few years ago. They blew an engine in the middle of a trip. Helping out when you can makes the world an easier place to exist. I have lent compressors and boosters to shops when stuff goes down. It all comes back around eventually.

That's awesome, what a great feel good story.

I will forever stop on the road to help change a tire or see if someone needs a hand. My wife thinks I'm nuts, I tell her what if it was her or the kids... I sure would hope someone like me would stop.

I wouldn't want to experience life any other way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom