Lens compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nubiesan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a 505 body with several auto focus lenses. Are these usable with the digital bodies?

Since you're not getting any help, I'll give it a shot. I don't know anything about the medical lenses, but I do know that all F-type Nikon lenses are compatible. There are some differences in cameras. On the low end, D40/D40X the camera will not autofocus unless the motor is built into the lens, as with the newer SWM lenses. On other digitals, the autofocus might be slower without the lens motor function, but it will work.
If the lens is not a "D" type, with a built in chip (generally, the designation will be something like "60mm f1:2.8D" the auto exposure functions might not work, such as "A" (aperture priority) On some models, such as my D300, you can set the camera to identify a number of non-CPU lenses and recognize focal distance and aperture if you set the maximum aperture for that lens and identify the lens when you use it.
I do know that some of the aftermarket medical lenses for Nikon fit are highly sought after as macro lenses and bring high dollar on E-Bay.
To be compatible, lens mounts should look like this:
3-8-08--3-15-08BirdsandTopside217sm.jpg

Oooooo.....Lint & dust particles!
:p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom