Lens Vs. Port Vs. Body

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagatyh

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Olympus E-PM1 with the 14-42 ii-r kit lens and the Olympus PT-EP06 housing (flat port) that I use for underwater photography, and an Olympus E-M10 for topside photography.

I want to upgrade, but I am limited in budget, so which of the following would be a better upgrade:

1) Get an Olympus 9-18 lens and use it with the E-PM1 behind the flat port.
(will be a bonus for me as it could be used for topside photography too)

2) Get an AOI dome port for the E-PM1 and 14-42 lens.
AOI DLP-04 Underwater 4 inch Acrylic Semi-Dome Port for Olympus PEN Housings
AOI DLP-03P Underwater 4 inch Glass Semi-Dome Port for Olympus PEN Housings

3) Get a cheap Chinese housing for the E-M10 and 14-42 lens.
(The E-M10 camera body is much better than the E-PM1 in terms of speed and image quality, but I'm afraid of the no-name housing, and the port is not changeable, so I will be stuck with the 14-42 behind a flat port with no room for future upgrades)
https://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Wat...&qid=1495787321&sr=8-1&keywords=e-m10+housing

Ideas please.

I don't have any of the gear that your have or that you are looking at, so I will not speak to it specifically, but in general terms, I have found that I would rather spend money on a good lens than cut corners on one.

I would look into getting a used EM10 Nauticam housing. The investments you make in lenses and the ports needed can then be used with future upgrades. I started with the Oly housing, the 9-18 behind a flat port isn't going to give you much wider view than the 14-42. Later I bought the Zen dome for the 9-18, It worked well but changing ports was a real pain. Finally I just went and got a Nauticam housing and gradually added fisheye and macro. Had I known all this before, I could have saved myself money. I really like the Nauticam 4.33 acrylic dome. Its not obscenely expensive and you can use the Oly 12mm and Pana fisheye with it.

This is very late, I suppose, but I just saw it.

I'm shooting an E-M10 with the kit (14-42) lens in a Meikon (i.e. cheap) housing with the Meikon wet wide angle lens (also relatively cheap). These are some shots I got a couple of weeks ago down in NC.

I've had the housing down to about 120', so far, with no issues.

SandTiger-6031283.jpg

Toilet-6021246.jpg
SandTigerCrop-6021203.jpg

Wreck-6021172.jpg

ps. That Polaroid housing looks the same as the Meikon one I have.

If you keep your eyes open, you can get ports and lenses for the E-PM1/EP-PT06 on here or other sites. I got a Zen WA-100, M.Zuiko 60mm and 9-18mm all on here at great prices. The WA-100 works with all 3 lenses (a must for the 9-18). I think all in all I spent less than $600 for the 3.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom