Lesson learned the hard way, and my first dive experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whenever friends ask me about equalizing, I tell them they have 2 choices, either learn to equalize as fast as they descend, or learn to descend as slow as they equalize.

Congratulations on making it through a tough baptism, and best wishes for a great time on your upcoming trip.

Excellent advice!

I too like when new divers take the time to share thier first dive stories here. It serves to remind us to be more patient with new divers.

I am also new to diving and have never actually dived outside of the certification process. You have touched on many of my greatest fears: Buoyancy, 15' safety stop, ear equalization, strong currents. About the only thing you missed was navigation and making people angry at me while I get my equipment on during a boat dive.

Thanks for your story it was humorous but made some very good points which will likely help me in the future.

I am also new to diving and have never actually dived outside of the certification process. You have touched on many of my greatest fears: Buoyancy, 15' safety stop, ear equalization, strong currents. About the only thing you missed was navigation and making people angry at me while I get my equipment on during a boat dive.

Thanks for your story it was humorous but made some very good points which will likely help me in the future.

Hopefully people are more often helping you than getting angry with you. We WERE ALL new at one time. We have been there and some people sometimes forget where it was that they came from. Just take your time, tune them out and focus on the task AND ask a question if you have to. It gets much easier and more enjoyable with every single dive.

Switzke, if someone is getting angry with you just getting your equipment on, you probably don't want to be in the water with them anyway. ScubaSteve001 is right on the money...tune them out. Go dive, do your best, be safe, and enjoy! Take a navigation class. They're usually lots of fun, and if you take them in the area where you'll be diving, you'll pick up all sorts of great "local" tips!

To the OP, that's a great wreck. I hope you'll go back, and definitely keep diving. Anytime we're going down a line to a wreck, I recommend gloves. Those lines get hooks stuck in them and some types develop "splinters" that are no fun.

i dont know if someone mentioned this earlier but a great trick is to start equalizing 5 mins BEFORE you hit the water.

I had problems equalizing at first too. Another thing that you can try is to slowly move your jaw from side to side while plugging the nose and gently blowing. As far as the current goes, it was a real -itch out there this weekend. Keep practicing your skills and all will be well. I'm wondering if you were on Scubatyme. It seems they go to the Sea Emperor a lot. I've been on it with them 4-5 times.

I have to wonder where your instructor was during your check out dives.... :shocked2:

I just want to emphasize something, which is that you shouldn't be experiencing any pain while diving. If you are then something isn't right. :no:

Ordinarily your instructor(s) would have controlled your OW dives enough that the kinds of things you mentioned wouldn't normally happen. Would you mind going in to that a bit? I'm curious.

R..

I had problems equalizing at first too. Another thing that you can try is to slowly move your jaw from side to side while plugging the nose and gently blowing. As far as the current goes, it was a real -itch out there this weekend. Keep practicing your skills and all will be well. I'm wondering if you were on Scubatyme. It seems they go to the Sea Emperor a lot. I've been on it with them 4-5 times.

Nope, but I saw them. I would say who I was going with, but I would prefer to prevent any negative assocations that might come along with it (Any feelings about the instructors, for instance). They are great people and have been nothing but extremely helpful and kind. :coffee:

Hi, Mullen1200! Thank you for sharing your experience!!! I've already met some really scary people out there with egos the size of Texas. I try to avoid them since in their righteousness, they are likely not safe. I like to dive with other people that are human, not superhuman (only in their own minds, of course). You sound smart and human. I'll bet you'll really start having fun diving now and be a really great dive buddy. Have fun!

Just figured i'd give an update. I've been int he water lately, and its been hurting me. so I finally went to see an ENT(Ear nose and throat) doctor. Turns out I have a ruptured eardrum..and to think I went diving TWICE with a ruptured ear drum. I knew there was a reason it was still hurting like heck >.<
I think I should have listened to my body and not my ego when I went on those dives. I just didnt want to delay my cert.

Doctor says wait two weeks, come back, and if it still hasnt healed, then he'll have to do minor ear surgery.

Back
Top Bottom