Lessons to live by for charter boat diving - from a newbie...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geogator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This past weekend I had the opportunity to finally experience for the first time, with a great group of close dive friends from my area, some of the outstanding offshore diving available in both Pompano Beach & West Palm Beach. Prior to this weekend, my only salt water experience was a single charter trip to a couple of interesting barge wrecks offshore of Jacksonville back in September. This time around, we had a fun time on Saturday afternoon in Pompano visiting the Ancient Mariner wreck & Abby Too reef with South Florida Diving HQ. Although the visibility was only so-so, the wreck had some fun swim-through areas & there were lion fish to be hunted & lobsters to be chased over at Abby Too. As for our Sunday morning drift dives in West Palm, they were quite an adventure due to some pretty rough seas, but Sandy & her crew from Ocean Quest Charters were absolutely awesome & went above/beyond to take such great care of us & even brought the boat back inside the inlet for the surface interval between dives to give us all a much needed breather & let the greenish face tint fade a bit. :wink: Down below however, while the current was fairly strong, the visibility on both 80' Rock Pile reef & Larsen's Ledge was fabulous, the nurse sharks were big & plentiful at Larsen's & the colors of the fish & coral were incredibly brilliant everywhere.

As I reflected on all three of these offshore experiences on the drive back home last night, I've discovered that many of the things we are taught in kindergarten can directly apply to diving from a charter boat too. For instance:

1) Share everything (de-fog, sunscreen);
2) Put things back where you found them;
3) Clean up your own mess;
4) Don't mess with things that aren't yours;
5) Say your sorry when you accidentally hurt (ie: step/fall) on somebody;
6) Live a well-balanced (ie: buoyant) life;
7) Learn some (new skills) & think some (problems through);
8) Always look around you and be aware of wonder;
9) Take a nap in the afternoon (something about that breezy salt air);
10) When you go out into the (underwater) world, watch out for (boat) traffic, hold hands (when needed) and always stick together.

Just my 2 psi from a newbie's perspective.:)

A good list.

2 more:
1) Try to always remember where the anchor line is.
2) What's "boat traffic"?

I really enjoyed your post. There are a lot of things about diving that we learn through experience, and that aren't taught in a certification class. You just picked up on a bunch of them. You might enjoy our book, The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, which talks about just those things, including a chapter on the rule of etiquette for day boats, another on liveaboards, and a bunch of other stuff. It's on Amazon or bn.com, as paperback or ebook. Since we keep learning more, Book 2 is coming out this summer. As I think back on things I learned other that in a class, including classes to get a professional rating, the list is long. Good for you for being perceptive and for sharing you insights so clearly! I love the kindergarten analogy.
DivemasterDennis

xx) After some time spent working (diving), it's time for cookies/crackers!

2) What's "boat traffic"?

In the case of drift dives in the ocean, your own boat that's maneuvering around above/nearby you picking up other divers. When you're floating down Rainbow River, it's the careless kayakers who ignore your dive flag & then silently skim right over your head from behind you when you're about to surface!

No matter how new my sneakers (dive gear) are, someone always has a pair I want more.:hehheh:

Nice post Geogator.
:D

I really enjoyed your post. There are a lot of things about diving that we learn through experience, and that aren't taught in a certification class. You just picked up on a bunch of them. You might enjoy our book, The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, which talks about just those things, including a chapter on the rule of etiquette for day boats, another on liveaboards, and a bunch of other stuff. It's on Amazon or bn.com, as paperback or ebook. Since we keep learning more, Book 2 is coming out this summer. As I think back on things I learned other that in a class, including classes to get a professional rating, the list is long. Good for you for being perceptive and for sharing you insights so clearly! I love the kindergarten analogy.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks for the nice words Dennis & I'll definitely have to check out your book. In retrospect, I should have added:

#11: Pay close attention to the teacher/leader/instructor & follow they're directions.

Working in the K-12 education field & being a leader in my son's cub scout pack for a few years helps to keep things in perspective occasionally & remind you that the simplest rules in life are usually the easiest to remember & follow.

Furthermore, some people think doing stuff like learning to scuba dive when you're into your 40s equates to going through some type of a mid-life "second childhood", and if that's the case, then why not view it through the eyes of a child sometimes as well? Hey, it's more fun that way and isn't diving supposed to be fun after all? :wink: You know, come to think of it, maybe watching "Finding Nemo" should be a requirement for getting a C-card too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom