Let's do an easy dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need an eye popping emoji. That's a lot of wrecks. So I guess shipping lanes can be fun. So educational this scubaboard thing. Thanks @NetDoc for this great site

My point of view is that if there isn't a safe surface and the dive must be concluded at a particular exit point (or one of several), then it's really not an open water dive. It doesn't matter much whether the surface is nonexistent (cave, ice), inaccessible (deco), or unsafe (as in the present discussion). While it is true that each of these environments poses its own specific hazards requiring environment-specific training, equipment, and techniques, they share the fact that the dive cannot be concluded safely by an immediate return to the surface.

Open water diving implies a safe surface. Under adverse conditions, the surface must be made safe. In your example of being in 15' of water in the Caribbean with no exposure protection, the question would be whether the surface is safe for a sufficient time to allow rescuers to arrive. Perhaps a few hours, on the outside, and I think most divers choose their exposure protection accordingly. In the conditions that are the subject of this thread, a diver contemplating a dive must plan the dive so the surface is either safe or (for the sake of discussion, anyway) unnecessary.

The point here really is about thinking through how safe the surface is before every dive. Current, boats, distance to shore, time to rescue, cold, wind, weather, swell, flotation, problems with exhaustion or loss of a fin. I always have a plan.

As I posted upthread, I am best understood as a fool, an inexperienced one at that. Who chiefly dives in freshwater lakes and streams, from shore. Cold, low viz, long surface swims, and unreliable dive boats like canoes.

Well, I can't agree with your definition of what constitutes an open water dive, but I'm glad that you lean more to the conservative side of it than the alternative. I don't think you'll find many people who agree with you viewpoint either, but if it keeps you safe don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

I think you'll find that as you get more experience, you'll find more dives will fit into your definition of "open water" as your level of comfort in austere situations increases.

Snip...

Don’t let others influence your safety.
Stick to the rules that are there for good reason. We do the thirds rule because I want a safety net.
Dive against the current and ride it back in
Know which way the current is going, and keep an eye on it for changes.
There is no such thing as a safe place to dive. You have to treat each dive with respect as things can go
bad quickly.
There is no such thing as an easy dive until you are back on dry land.
I need to be more aware of how the current, tide surge and swell affect diving.
I should have turned back when I noticed the current and just sightsee the other direction.
Don’t be cheap
I need to work on stamina for situations like these.
I should have put my weights on the steps to get out easier.

It was a humbling experience as I knew all the mistakes I was making, but did not listen to that wee little voice in my head.

Ok...GO

The last bit is ultra important in my mind - if something (no matter how small or seemingly insignificant) is saying no or be careful, then you should listen to it and either don't dive or plan for that eventuality.

I think one of the main things I would take from this is knowing the currents and tides - they can make a huge difference. Always plan to go against the current on the way out ( you are fitter to kick against it) and use the current to help on the way back (when you are getting more tired/lower on gas).

LOL that and the shipping lane dive sites need to be added to the strange dive sites thread. Wrecks sure intrigue me, hubby and me enjoy exploring old home sites, rusty junk piles in the mountains/deserts and I wish that all the cool wrecks were not so deep.

:hijack:

LOL that and the shipping lane dive sites need to be added to the strange dive sites thread.
:shocked: What!?!? We're all rather normal over here...
Wrecks sure intrigue me, hubby and me enjoy exploring old home sites, rusty junk piles in the mountains/deserts and I wish that all the cool wrecks were not so deep.
Lots and lots of cool stuff here at any depth. Subway cars or M60 tanks? Your choice: 'Redbird' R26 - R28 - R29 - R33 - R36 Subway Cars - New Jersey Scuba Diving
New Jersey Artificial Reef Materials - New Jersey Scuba Diving

Almost all the non-reefed wrecks were dynamited and wire-dragged to keep them from being navigation hazards. Take an artifact, nobody (HERE) cares one whit.
It's OK to hijack your own thread... :wink:

Last edited:
:shocked: What!?!? We're all rather normal over here...
Lots and lots of cool stuff here at any depth. Subway cars or M60 tanks? Your choice: 'Redbird' R26 - R28 - R29 - R33 - R36 Subway Cars - New Jersey Scuba Diving
New Jersey Artificial Reef Materials - New Jersey Scuba Diving

Almost all the non-reefed wrecks were dynamited and wire-dragged to keep them from being navigation hazards. Take an artifact, nobody (HERE) cares one whit.
It's OK to hijack your own thread... :wink:

That is super cool! I would love to dive some of these wrecks.

Floats with surface lines can be a problem on Catalina. West side not much kelp, east side the kelp is returning. Used to be all over and hopefully it will come back. That said, I know of no way to navigate kelp field dragging a float line. If the surface conditions were as you described, a float would have dragged you half way to Mexico.

As an instructor, I teach the rule of thirds for safety and stick to it. You never know when that will be a matter of life and death.

As for the diver complaining to giving the air back to the fill station. Avoid him like the plague. He is preparing to become a statistic on DAN's annual injury/death reports. Don't become a dual incident statistic.

I dive Catalina often and it is a great place. But safe diving practices will permit you the privilege of returning for another fun filled dive. Follow the rules and you'll have many years of adventures. Don't follow the rules and we'll read the write-ups and wonder why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom