Let's get the lingo right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
:bonk: Y'know, there's a lot of lingo us beginners need to learn during our novice diver period. I was reminded of this when
I went to my LDS yesterday to buy some weights and those little mesh pouches to hold them in my BC. The clerk and DM asked me some basic questions, which I answered (quite competently, I felt :D )). Then I got distracted by some shiny knives in the case, and when he asked me "what size is your wetsuit?" I absently answered "Oh, size 8."
When there was total silence for a second, I looked up and saw the clerk's and DM's eyes goggling at me. "You wear a 8 mil wetsuit?!!" he asked me incredulously. Remember, this is Hawaii.
Then I realized he wanted to know what the thickness of my wetsuit was. Whoops. :embarrass Well, just recalling their expressions made me laugh all the way home.

I think I definitely will be having problems with the lingo once I do a boat dive - I'll be the one asking "Did you mean left or right? Front or back?" :rolleyes:

Any other commonly used phrases/terms that a diver who at least wants to appear like they know what they're talking about should know?

Hi Chepar,

You can try the Terminology and Acronyms at Learnscuba.com.

I am sure the others will be along shortly to add to the list.

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving.

Just remember that left is left and right is right, but right is port only when facing aft.
Rick

:hmmm:

It seems that the only two terms you need to know as a diver are :
Visa or MasterCard

I got in trouble when I got asked "How big is your tank?" by an instructor while I was having a chat with the DM about army days.....He was quite surprised when I informed him that it was about 24 tonnes :D and yes - it was HP steel!

How big is your tank?? Isn't that a rather personal question?:tease:

Chepar, if it makes you feel any better I would have answered the same way! Size and thickness aren't the same in my book. And the boat has a "pointy" end a "back" end!

I had a navy guy explaining knots, fathoms and nautical miles to me a few weeks ago. Just confused me even more! And all these years I thought there were only imperial or metric measurements..now I have another one to worry about!

sheesh...think I'll just go diving..my brain hurts now!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom