Let's see what the FTC has to say about vertical price restraints in the biz.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand what you are saying and the services we provide are the reason we sell what we do. It just isn't enough though. If it wasn't for the services we wouldnt sell anything. Read my last post where I explain how the services we can offer are limited.

Genesis, your good at making statements and accusations, not so good at answerings questions are you?

I was honestly asking what business you were in. Had no intent or desire to go after you about anything. I don't have the slightest idea of who you are or what your work status is. I could tell you i'm Bill Gates. Would you believe me? Just because i don't agree with every one of your points does not mean i'm out to get you. Take a pill, it's okay!

And i think it's convenient that you did not directly respond to the Leisure Pro vs small LDS questions. What's the matter? No preprogrammed answer for that one.

For what it's worth we do agree on the "collusion to fix prices" issue. As stated before, if it is happening, it should be investigated. That is one of the questions isn't it, "if it is happening." Another question is if the FTC's definition of "collusion" is the same as yours.

Good luck man! Your passionate if nothing else.

Mike, there's a certain kind of mindset that is required to run a business and make it work. Some will call that "ruthless", others have less-pleasant names for it.

The question is, who do you direct it at?

If you do a bit of research, you can find out my real name. Type that into a Google search and your eyes will bug out with what you get back. I've got three groups of people who know me in my former industry - those who love me, those who hate me, and those who are ambivalent but respect how I got where I am and that I took the time to analyze and learn. There are plenty of folks in all three groups, particularly the second, and an awful lot of those are either former competitors (in one form or another) or vendors.

Funny how that never even slowed me down.

If I were in your position I'd either find a way to exploit the restrictions or find others similarly situated and band together to knock them down. Frankly, I suspect the latter would be the correct decision, but without talking to a LOT of people I couldn't make the call with precision.

I'm going at this from the perspective of a consumer, and will continue to chase the matter. Why? Because its right. I'm not in the business and have no intention of getting into it. Most of what I do these days I do because I think its right. Then again, most of what I did before in my business I did because I thought it was right, even when it REALLY got others in the industry upset :)

Its a mindset thing Mike, not a personal attack....

As for the price and other vertical market restraints, either they are real or lying to customers is endemic in this business. If the latter, then every LDS that I've ever been in has permanently destroyed my trust and my response is to drive as many customers from them and towards the mail order houses as possible in an effort to repay their kindness. If the former, then its against the law, and needs to be stopped.

If someone wants to look up the detailed information I just heard on the news that "Salton' of George Foreman grill fame, aggreed to pay $8million in a price fixing case.

Ryan

If you do a bit of research, you can find out my real name

Hows that?

Genesis once bubbled...

If you do a bit of research, you can find out my real name. Type that into a Google search and your eyes will bug out with what you get back.

Yes, it does look like you have made a few enemies.

your choice of a nice scotch or a beer on my boat (after diving, of course!) - but first you have to survive getting flooded over there by that little spinner and come this way sometime.. :)

(Wasn't that difficult either, was it? :))

Genesis once bubbled...
your choice of a nice scotch or a beer on my boat (after diving, of course!) - but first you have to survive getting flooded over there by that little spinner and come this way sometime.. :)

(Wasn't that difficult either, was it? :))

And my 3 yr old granddaughter swims well but always wears her life vest on the boat. We just won't talk politics too much.

Thanks

She wears her vest on the little boat, but not on the big one.... she also swims like a fish though :)

of one of these "dealership" agreements in my hot little hands.

Its going to the FTC.

It clearly denotes that the goods are sold on what are pretty-standard commercial terms, that goods are transported FOB the source's dock, and that they are invoiced.

It also contains the explicit price restraint.

This looks, to me, to be a per-se violation of the Sherman Act, and I have every intention of chasing it.

The "theories" are no longer theories - they are now documented realities..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom