Let's talk cheap (or cheap-ish) in-town hotels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the replies. Who knows--if I'm feeling ambitious and venturesome, I'll ask to see some of the places we don't stay and make a little survey of it. Might check the vrbo, too.

LoL - I read that as "Los Alcatraz" lol!!!!!!!!

Probably because it's simply the plural of alcatraz, a synonym of pelicano.

Los Alcatraces Cozumel started a $29 special today!

I got a tour when my friend stayed there in early March....the location was great, everything was modern and clean, the rooms were really nice, and the common areas really comfortable. Think I'll be staying there myself next trip :)

I like hotel plaza cozumel just up calle 2 off Melgar. It is close to the pier,clean,ac,wifi,pool,water jug and microwave in common area and a great American breakfast included. You can get a room or $50 . I forget the name of the bakery next door but it is inexpensive and very good.
THIS. Hotel Plaza Cozumel, Calle 2 between Melgar and Avenida 5.

Disclaimer: I've stayed there the last 2 years, and is the only place I've stayed on the island. As such, I am very partial, but I'm more cheap than sentimental and wouldn't return if I wasn't happy there.

The H.P.C. sounds perfect for what you're wanting. I stayed there on a guys trip, and on my next trip with my girlfriend. It was cheap enough, and nice enough for both trips, respectively. The rooms are clean, plenty of hot water, water bottle in your room every day, super cold A/C that will chill your water bottles, water in the common area, free Wi-Fi, small pool on the roof (but the hotel is never very busy in the late summer), the complimentary breakfast is AMAZING, it's literally around the corner from Melgar and around the other corner from Wet Wendy's (so you're good on catching a cab or a buzz :) ), there are a ton of good restaurants in the vicinity, you're right by "the square" and within walking distance of just about anything you want. It's an $8-$10 USD cab to Caleta if you decide to stay there on your diving days as well. Money well spent since you will save cab fares being downtown. The hotel WILL have tons of vacancies, it's huge. My first trip was booked through an online service that wanted to tell us they were full unless we paid more money for a better room. When we got there the woman at the desk was as friendly as could be and said we could have any room we wanted.

I really and truly can't think of any negatives for the place. The beds are mattresses on a concrete slab, but you won't have any problem sleeping for one of two reasons (or both, if you're like us):
1.) Since you're so close to everything you will find yourself walking all over and discovering the downtown area and beyond. Make the very short walk to Kinta, and to Al Pie del Carbon for a ribeye. You probably know this, but it's worth repeating.
2.) If relaxing is your goal, you have to unwind at Wet Wendy's with a cold beverage (or two) since you can probably see your room from their bar.

Either way, you'll sleep well.

Good luck!
-B

www.hotelplazacozumel.com

My first trip was booked through an online service that wanted to tell us they were full unless we paid more money for a better room. When we got there the woman at the desk was as friendly as could be and said we could have any room we wanted.

www.hotelplazacozumel.com
I think several of the booking sites abuse customers and their hotels both. If the hotel advertises better deals than the booking sites offer, they get dropped and few hear about them. Still, it's be nice if the hotel site at least worked.

Back
Top Bottom