LGBTQ Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I'll bite and raise my had to be counted as an openly gay diver. I have never had any issues with overt discrimination at my local dive-shop run club.

Having said that, I would also like to add that last summer I went on an LGBT dive trip,and thoroughly enjoyed it. It had a different vibe to it than your typical dive trip. For instance, after a dive the (straight) DM who was provided by the dive op remarked that one of the divers truly likes to explore holes - and every man on the boat cracked up laughing. Of course she meant that he stuck his head into every crevice in the reef - it took her a while to catch on to how her remark was understood by a boat full of gay men. Or, on our non-diving day we enjoyed some stereotypical gay activities, like cruising on a fast boat in the company of (mostly) hot, speedo-clad men, blasting Cher from a powerful sound system, and feeling perfectly good about it.

So, while there is no diving that I couldn't enjoy with my regular dive club, I do enjoy the company of other gay divers once in a while.

Same here kafkaland.

So sweet that you all have found a place that you feel you belong.Thats really nice.
Just curious if you will ever go on any advertised Heterosexual dives in the future.:D

ccx2

HA, nahh, I don't discriminate. I've been on dives with straight people and have no problem with them. I don't openly advertise my preference like I assume most straight don't. It's wonderful when my preference is a non-issue. There are loads, upon loads of videos on Youtube stating what not to ask people such as myself when meeting for the first time. It's nice as the years progress for the reasons that people have less of an issue with it now than 10 years ago.

It's nice to be around people like myself at times. That and when I'm not around straight people, you don't have that over protective boyfriend/husband trying to say in an affirmative tone "she's straight, and with me". I laugh and think "was that necessary? No, it wasn't". Or the women whom freaks out because she thinks "I'm hitting on her". wow... just, wow..

Maybe I've been lucky, or maybe it's just that i don't give a rat's a*s what other people around me think, but I don't feel the need to be surrounded by other divers who are also gay. But I'm the same in way in every other aspect of my life. Yes, I am gay, but it is not who I am. It doesn't even make up a big part of who I am, it doesn't factor into my personality at all. If you don't make a big deal about, for the most part, others won't either.

I have to agree that a persons sexual orientation, or race, or gender, really doesn't factor into my decision to dive with them or not. We're not making out down there. That mostly has to do with ability, common sense and goal compatibility.

For hanging out during the SI, I also don't care. In that regard a good sense of humour and not being arrogant or sarcastic in a hurtful way would probably top the list. Next, having something interesting to talk about helps, and then.. cookies. If your sexual orientation can be shared in a friendly way that's fine, it's part of who you are. But if it becomes a political statement not so much. And that goes both ways - gay or straight.

I dive to have fun and I like to hang out with other people who also want/like to have fun, in a nice way. You can't pretend someones orientation or colour doesn't exist and neither should you have to. You should be able to share who you are in a friendly way no matter what side of the fence you're from.

Having said that, I'm not completely oblivious to the fact that people can be jerks and others may have had a different life experience than I. Those people may feel more comfortable diving with others who share a common denominator so they don't have to experience the negatives that the jerks of the world give off. I get that. I would also hope they realize being gay or straight has no bearing on character. That's an individual thing.

Have some of you been on dive boats that someone said something negative/positive or anything at all towards you about being Queer or LGBT ?
All the dive boats/trips I've been on no one really cared about anything but Diving.

It seems to me that maybe us breeders aren't good enough to hang with gays is that right? I'm sure I've dived with gay individuals I just couldn't tell ya who they are, nor do I care. Diving was a fraternity long ago it didn't matter what else one did, for divers being a diver was enough.

Ever since the meaning of tolerance was changed from something one puts up with but doesn't embrace, to total acceptance of same, a lot of "different" people have had their feelings hurt because although they say that want tolerance, they really want acceptance.

Do you know how many people are repulsed by my excessively hairy body? I have an idea because I've been told by some people. Do I care? F no! Why should I? I don't need to be accepted just left alone. Any gays want to dive NE PM me.

Last edited:
It seems to me that maybe us breeders aren't good enough to hang with gays is that right? I'm sure I've dived with gay individuals I just couldn't tell ya who they are, nor do I care. Diving was a fraternity long ago it didn't matter what else one did, for divers being a diver was enough.

Ever since the meaning of tolerance was changed from something one puts up with but doesn't embrace, to total acceptance of same, a lot of "different" people have had their feelings hurt because although they say that want tolerance but they really want acceptance.

Do you know how many people are repulsed by my excessively hairy body? I have an idea because I've been told by some people. Do I care? F no! Why should I? I don't need to be accepted just left alone. Any gays want to dive NE PM me.

Wow, that was pretty dang good AfterDark,pretty much how i see things.
Anyone ever seen a dedicated,advertised, "Heterosexual" Dive dive club ?

Back
Top Bottom