LGBTQ Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It stands for that Q word that means homosexual

google LGBT and there will be mention of the Q

It stands for that Q word that means homosexual

This is totally tangential to the OP but that's not quite right. Q is for queer, which is a "reclaimed" word that was formerly used as a pejorative for gays. Per Wikipedia, "In addition to referring to LGBT-identifying people, it can also encompass: pansexual, pomosexual, intersexual, genderqueer, asexual and autosexual people, and even gender normative heterosexuals whose sexual orientations or activities place them outside the heterosexual-defined mainstream, e.g., BDSM practitioners, or polyamorous persons." So someone who thinks that heterosexuals and LGBTs are making a mistake in assuming that sexuality is binary (i.e. you're one or the other, both, or move from one to the other) then they might call themselves queer. (See the pronoun game?) In any case, some gays still find "queer" offensive because of its old use as a slur, so it's probably not a good idea to start calling gay friends "queers" until you know it's OK.

what does sexual orientation has to do with diving?

Check out Lamda Divers and see if there is a group in your area. I tried contacting our local chapter through this website without much luck...
Lambdadivers.org

Similarly "rainbow divers" is another fairly sized organization, I believe, that you might hook up with and enjoy a bit of LGBTQ community in your diving.

EDIT: Looks like "Rainbow" is a San Francisco based group, not national. Same thing for Lamda, it seems, which is based in DC. I thought they were both national clubs...

I thought that only applied to nudist divers. Wouldn't people with different identities in the LGBTIQAN group not see eye to eye on others' identities?

Not even close, unfortunately. There's as much in-fighting in the queer community as there is between the straight and gay communities. It's sad, really.

I've spoken with my boyfriend a few times about starting a club in the Chicago area. I'd do more to get it started, but I'm just a guy who likes to dive. I've only been doing it since last fall. He's an instructor who I think would know more about what a dive club should be. Does anybody know of one in the Chicago area?

I don't think when it comes to diving sexual orientation matters. However, we still spend more time on the surface :depressed: and if our partner or other LGBTQ friends are divers too we want everyone to feel comfortable.

A couple of years ago I was on an Olivia cruise and at a couple of the ports went diving. There were about 2 dozen gay women going diving together. What did we talk about on the way to/from sites? What else: diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom