LGBTQ Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for that. I knew what GLBT meant and suspected the Q but have never heard the 5 put together in that way before. Part of me thinks it odd that there would be a group that includes almost every conceivable sexual orientation except hetrosexual but another part of me understands why that is.
I hope the OP finds a group of divers (whether gender directed or not) that they feel comfortable with. Diving should be fun and a big part of that is being able to relax and trust the people you're with.

Dale, for what it's worth I know plenty of hetero folks who consider themselves queer. Queer is the catch all that actually can and does include heterosexuals because they don't fit the stereotypical "norm" that our society demands for some reason.

I still haven't found any national dive clubs though... I guess that really defeats the purpose of a club, doesn't it. Hard to have "local" and "national" tied together.

I'm not bigoted. Hot SCUBA chicks get ogled by me regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation.

But are you comfortable with folks (male or female) who want to ogle the hot SCUBA guys regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation. Or even better, the folks who want to ogle the guys and the girls? Some of us are equal opportunity oglers.

Dale, for what it's worth I know plenty of hetero folks who consider themselves queer. Queer is the catch all that actually can and does include heterosexuals because they don't fit the stereotypical "norm" that our society demands for some reason.

I still haven't found any national dive clubs though... I guess that really defeats the purpose of a club, doesn't it. Hard to have "local" and "national" tied together.

I know it may seem different if one is in the middle of the issue but I think one might find that, on an individual basis, society isn't really that demanding. Might be why there isn't a national association - sexual orientation may not be a large enough unifying factor in regards to scuba (or it may be that communication is more word of mouth/networking driven). One thought that does strike me is that there is the opportunity to form social groups here on SB that have an opt in feature and moderation by a group leader. That way like minded divers could communicate without dealing with the trolls.
I just looked; there is one already. Social groups / rainbow divers.

I know it may seem different if one is in the middle of the issue but I think one might find that, on an individual basis, society isn't really that demanding. Might be why there isn't a national association - sexual orientation may not be a large enough unifying factor in regards to scuba (or it may be that communication is more word of mouth/networking driven). One thought that does strike me is that there is the opportunity to form social groups here on SB that have an opt in feature and moderation by a group leader. That way like minded divers could communicate without dealing with the trolls.
I just looked; there is one already. Social groups / rainbow divers.

I tend to agree, society isn't really all that demanding. That said, my "minority" friends all remind me all the time how much "privilege" I have as a middle class, white, apparently heterosexual (married) male and I "just can't understand" how it feels to not have that privilege. The more tied in I am the more I tend to agree with that assessment. I also don't mind "bucking the system" if I'm comfortable with my own activities (for example holding another guy's hand or hugging/cuddling him on a dive boat) even if it makes other people uncomfortable. I'm not particularly concerned about other people's opinions of me or my activities, which is not the norm, apparently. I've found, though, that while many people may be mildly uncomfortable with such displays, very few people would be rude to someone over it unless it was too overtly sexual and that applies to same sex or hetero situations.

I am a member of the rainbow diver group here on SB and it is woefully silent most of the time. Perhaps this thread will help remedy that???

I still don't understand what LGBTQ means. What are you talking about? Just what-are-you-talking-about-curious in Manhattan.

Are you really incapable of using Google? IJS.

Why should I have to use google to decipher an acronym in a post...........and I really don't understand the acronym.

Lesbian Gay Barb-T-Q?

I rarely have problems with homosexuals, hell, my brother is gay and at my wedding, shocked the hell out of him and his BF when I wrapped my arms about him, hugged him and welcomed him. He had the 'WTF" look on his face and just said 'Just want my brother to be happy, and he's happy with you."

The only time I have had issues with a gay man was when I was getting hit on, told him not interested, not into other men in that way period, and kept it up through the night to the point it was borderline harassment.

Frankly, I could care less what a person does in their own bedroom, NOT my business. All I care about as far as a diver is if they are safe and competent in the water.

Best of luck in your endeavor to start a club, and if your ever in the Jax area and need a dive buddy, don't hesitate to IM

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom