LGBTQ Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still don't understand what LGBTQ means. What are you talking about? Just what-are-you-talking-about-curious in Manhattan.
Living in Manhattan, raised in Iowa? Mississippi?

Check out Lamda Divers and see if there is a group in your area. I tried contacting our local chapter through this website without much luck...
Lambdadivers.org

Similarly "rainbow divers" is another fairly sized organization, I believe, that you might hook up with and enjoy a bit of LGBTQ community in your diving.

EDIT: Looks like "Rainbow" is a San Francisco based group, not national. Same thing for Lamda, it seems, which is based in DC. I thought they were both national clubs...

Seriously? Lambda Divers?

I thought only geeks like us engineers used Lambda, Omega, etc... for sports or groups. Sweet :D

I can understand the reservation in from of other people, but you shouldn't, I'm from latin origine and a lot of school mates always say that I'm a touchy and expressive person.
Why can't I hug my friend if I'm happy to see him(boy) or kiss my cousin to greet him or grab my other friend's ass to make a joke? North-American society is kinda stuck on everyone has his "bubble", but it's not like that in the rest of the world, if they want to travel, they should adapt. Go on vacation and have fun, who cares about other people.

On the lighter side, I am a bit dyslexic and sometimes when I see a post from GLWC I do a double take and think GLBTQ or whatever the currently politically correct term is.....

Why should I have to use google to decipher an acronym in a post...........and I really don't understand the acronym.
You shouldn't, IMO. I googled the term to save time, faster than asking, but the original poster could have included a Wiki link. I'm sure there are many in the US alone who have no idea what the terms references, but if he wanted to discuss Gays, Lesbians, etc. in a dive trip context - he could have made it more clear. He is new to SB tho...

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously? Lambda Divers?

I thought only geeks like us engineers used Lambda, Omega, etc... for sports or groups. Sweet :D

I can understand the reservation in from of other people, but you shouldn't, I'm from latin origine and a lot of school mates always say that I'm a touchy and expressive person.
Why can't I hug my friend if I'm happy to see him(boy) or kiss my cousin to greet him or grab my other friend's ass to make a joke? North-American society is kinda stuck on everyone has his "bubble", but it's not like that in the rest of the world, if they want to travel, they should adapt. Go on vacation and have fun, who cares about other people.

I believe the Lambda is actually a "reclaimed" symbol from when the Nazis used triangles to identify homosexuals similar to the Stars of David to ID Jews. I'm not 100% that's correct, but that's what I've heard in the past and it makes logical sense to me. A lot of gay groups have "triangle" or "lambda" as part of their logo.

You're definitely correct about the USA and our split personality society. We're driven by sex in marketing, entertainment and just about every other aspect of our society but we're complete prudes about it. It's a great psychological study, if you're into that.

Reactions: Jax
But are you comfortable with folks (male or female) who want to ogle the hot SCUBA guys regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation. Or even better, the folks who want to ogle the guys and the girls? Some of us are equal opportunity oglers.

Hey, if the gay divers think that this fat, old, bald dude is sexy in his bulging wetsuit, then by all means...ogle me. I got it and I ain't afraid to flaunt it.

Straight people have no idea how much of their sexuality they convey in every day living and what they talk about, that LGBT people just do not have the freedom to do. I can see the appeal of having a dive club around shared interests, whether they are diving or other characteristics.

For example there is a gay couple that dives locally, no one really cares at all that they are gay nor is insulting about it but it is something commented on frequently. I know that I have experienced similiar things myself.

Basically most posters here are completely missing the point about why someone would be interested in organising a LGBT club/dive event.

Basically most posters here are completely missing the point about why someone would be interested in organising a LGBT club/dive event.
I don't think anyone objected. Whether we fully appreciate the reasons or not, go ahead. You might want to use full words tho in descriptions as the initials don't cut it in much of the US day to day life.

I remember a news story about a couple who got booked onto a gay cruise, the only straight customers on the boat as I recall. Nothing particularly wrong, but awkward...! Ah, here it is: Heterosexual couple booked on a gay cruise sues cruise line | Gadling.com Excerpting...
"The middle-aged husband and wife, who have not been named, said they were embarrassed after spotting people they knew, but had not realised were gay, on the cruise," reports Nick Pisa.

Awkward!

You might want to use full words tho in descriptions as the initials don't cut it in much of the US day to day life.
The thread was targeted at L's, G's, B's, T's, and Q's. All you had to know was whether or not one of those letters described you. I think even if you weren't sure what the Q or the T was, you probably knew it didn't apply to you. (Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, Texans, and Queers?--probably not.:shakehead:)

The rest of us (including me) should have just ignored the thread. We managed to roll out a bit of an unwelcome mat, I'm afraid, which I regret.

Back
Top Bottom