Life expectancy of dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I acquired another VT Pro about a few months ago, the seller stated it had just been serviced and rebuilt, and included an invoice- by Huish. Prior to the change in ownership, VT Pro's were no longer serviced. The cost was about $175 which is more than used VT Pros go for on Ebay when you can find them, but there were some advantages including reliability and I noticed the buttons were a bit more responsive. Also the backlight worked! Lots of times it's the first thing to go on these older dive computers.
VT Pro and VT 3 are "obsolete" and are no longer in the service plan. On the other hand, several computers that are no longer sold remain part of the policy for the time being (VT 4/4.1, Pro Plus 2/2.1...)

VT Pro and VT 3 are "obsolete" and are no longer in the service plan. On the other hand, several computers that are no longer sold remain part of the policy for the time being (VT 4/4.1, Pro Plus 2/2.1...)

Not clear what you mean by "service plan" but as I said, just recently I purchased a used VT Pro on Ebay and the seller stated in the listing, and provided a receipt for the service that was just done on it- a total rebuild- by the new owners of Oceanic. Prior to the ownership change the VT Pro was no longer supported or serviced and hadn't been for several years.

We have Suunto D4i computers. Suunto has it in the manual that the battery needs to be changed every 2 years or 100 dives. Getting 2 years out of a battery has been iffy (unfortunately I can't speak to the 100 dives, don't get to put that many on between batteries). On our 3rd set of batteries now with over a 100 dives on one and just under 100 on the other.
Can any of you tell me about the Cressi Archimedes? I found one on the reef in Bonaire last year in severe deco. After about 2 or 3 days it finally let me look at it. It showed the last dive at 999 minutes (obviously it is possible to go into deco at 50', just takes awhile). I think that's as much time as it could show.
Found the manual online and have used it on a couple pool dives and it seems to work fine. Just wondering when Cressi quit making it. It had 68 other dives on it.

My Datamask is one of those that is no longer serviced/supported and I wonder why. Is it that they no longer stock components used within the mask - are the internal parts really that different? I wish - and I know this isn't possible - that when we initially purchase our computers we could know if they will continue to be serviced/supported in perpetuity. I might even be willing to pay an 'upcharge' to know that THIS computer will always be supported.

Not clear what you mean by "service plan" but as I said, just recently I purchased a used VT Pro on Ebay and the seller stated in the listing, and provided a receipt for the service that was just done on it- a total rebuild- by the new owners of Oceanic. Prior to the ownership change the VT Pro was no longer supported or serviced and hadn't been for several years.
Support » Service
If I had a question, I would contact them directly, they have been very responsive to me by email and phone

Thanks I've seen that. I'm thinking their website needs to be updated to reflect that they service the Vt Pro.

Or the Ebay seller totally fabricated the invoice showing the servicing but I doubt it. That computer was clean as a whistle and performed flawlessly and like I said the buttons were noticeably more responsive.

My Datamask is one of those that is no longer serviced/supported and I wonder why. Is it that they no longer stock components used within the mask - are the internal parts really that different? I wish - and I know this isn't possible - that when we initially purchase our computers we could know if they will continue to be serviced/supported in perpetuity. I might even be willing to pay an 'upcharge' to know that THIS computer will always be supported.
But you got your transmitter :)

For all we gripe about how expensive dive computers are, they really are not expensive as such electronic devices go; they are priced like other "consumer electronics" and probably built to roughly similar reliability standards. We're not talking mil-spec or even serious commercial-grade electronics here.
Agreed
As extremely low volume "consumer electronics" most dive computers have a very short sales life (less than 5 years?) before they become obsoleted by a newer model. Repair support will end shortly after sales are stopped (another year or 2?). On the positive side they generally have a longer life cycle than a modern cell phone.

The reason? Lack of spare replacement "modules". Repair techs do not troubleshoot and swap individual electronic components. It takes too long, requires a stock of spare (obsolete) electronic components and the equipment to remove and replace a single component.

They may swap out a complete display or a pressure sensor, but if something goes wrong with the computer module it is cheaper to bin it and use a fresh one. Once the supply of spare pre-assembled modules is gone, no more computers can be fixed.

The pic below shows the guts of an old uwatec Aladin. Modern computers use smaller components packed in even tighter.

ala6.jpg

I had a Dive Rite Nitek compter that died after about 20 dives, and Dive Rite refused to repair or replace it. Now I use Suunto computers exclusively.

Currently my dive computer life seems to depend entirely on whether I change the battery myself, or have a professional do it for me. (If I change the battery, the computer floods.)

My Suuntos have been going for years.

I spent about $1000 once on a Dive Rite trimix analyzer. Little did I know that Dive Rite used an Analox knockoff with a proprietary oxygen sensor. And once the sensor died I discovered that DR no longer supported this product. I ended up giving it away to someone looking for spare parts. That pretty much convinced me that DR products are not a good use of my money ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom