Life expectancy of dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How would not updating the software limit the life of a dive computer? Considering the number of responders here with 10+ yo non-upgradeable computers.

(This questions comes from someone that does not yet own a computer.... but in the near future is looking to make an informed purchase of a computer..... that does have a long life expectancy.)

In response to your question..... If a computer does not have the capability to update its’ firmware, then updates & improvements are not possible. Then those computers could be perceived to have or have fatal operational flaws, making them effectively obsolete, ending it’s value, or it’s useful life.

After posting my question I looked at a few low to mid-level computers and found a number of computers that had upgradable firmware and some that were no longer supported (with firmware updates). I expect some computer manufacturers might be better with computer support including firmware updates than others, effectively increasing their computers effective useful life. I was hoping to hear from readers, who are those manufacturers and their models that have or one would expect they would have long life expectancy.

P.S. Due to the many reader comments, Oceanic computers appear to typically have long(er) useful lives, maybe more so than others brands. Have Oceanic computers just been around longer or is this a logical conclusion?

Oceanic atom 2.0 here that has lasted about eight years. The backlight stopped working after about 2 years but everything else has kept on ticking - which is a bit annoying because I’d love a perdix but can’t justify it while this one still works :wink: I haven’t upgraded the firmware from the original.

In response to your question..... If a computer does not have the capability to update its’ firmware, then updates & improvements are not possible. Then those computers could be perceived to have or have fatal operational flaws, making them effectively obsolete, ending it’s value, or it’s useful life.

If they have fatal flaws their owners are dead and the owners' nexts of kin have class-actioned the vendors into oblivion. If you have a reference to that actually happening, ever, please post the reference.

For the amount and type of diving I do modern computers are all flawed. I think my newest is from the early 90s.The only time I would even consider a new computer would be for multiple multi level tri mix dives. I have at least a dozen EDGEs and other early Orcas. I dove Oceanics for days with 3 or less dives a day but even they are far too conservative once you get deeper than 100' and every dive after 3 compounds the problem significantly.

I have to older Oceanics Veo 250 and 3.0...each got about 100 doves on them then both had issues. Replaced the batteries and seem work for now but I dunno once I have a problem with them I kinda lose faith in them at depth so Ive since converted to a Shearwater. Realyl liked both computers though. I found them easy to navigate around on.

I have to older Oceanics Veo 250 and 3.0...each got about 100 doves on them then both had issues. Replaced the batteries and seem work for now but I dunno once I have a problem with them I kinda lose faith in them at depth so Ive since converted to a Shearwater. Realyl liked both computers though. I found them easy to navigate around on.
Use the Veo 3 as a backup for your Shearwater

A dive computer shouldn't fail ever. You should get decades out of it if you want. Unless it's a model with a battery that isn't replaceable. If it is, you'll be limited by the life of the battery.

If i had two computers from the same company fail that quick, I'd be switching companies in a hurry.

If they have fatal flaws their owners are dead and the owners' nexts of kin have class-actioned the vendors into oblivion. If you have a reference to that actually happening, ever, please post the reference.
I assumed he meant fatal to the computer, not fatal to the diver.

Extremes of temperature are generally bad for any electronic or even electrical device. I always carry my computer and regs as hand baggage. Some parts of aircraft holds can get very cold even though in theory they are heated using residual air from the cabin. On some short haul flights on propellor aircraft the cabin / hold is unpressurised and the hold unheated. Under such circumstances it could be possible for the baggage to be subjected to very low temperatures whilst at the same time having substantial pressure variation.

I've had my trusty Suunto Stinger since 2006 and the only trouble I have ever had was last week when it decided to lock out on me after I mistakenly set it to Freedive mode after a Nitrox dive instead of setting it back to Air mode!

What it meant was that I dived on air to 30m for 43 minutes in Freedive mode and the Stinger must have thought I was dead so locked me out. (I wondered why it didn't offer me a safety stop on teh way up!)

Now the manual doesn't mention the computer going into lockdown mode at all, so after a couple of days of ‘No Fly’ and being unable to set the EAN / AIR profile I was just about to go to the dive shop - and no doubt be charged an arm and a leg.

Lo and behold! As the 48 hr period after my dive, the Stinger finally forgave me and reset itself.

So back to normal, but teh real point of this post is that why has no-one else had this issue before and posted about it? And why doesn't Suunto tell you about lockdown in its manual?

Back
Top Bottom