• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Life expectancy of dive computers?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Kimela, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Doctor Rig

Doctor Rig Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    @kelemvor ....... I assumed he meant fatal to the computer, not fatal to the diver.

reply.... that was exactly what I intended to communicate.

2. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    There's loads of posts about that sort of thing happening with Suunto, scubapro, and other brands of dive computers.

I believe the intent is to punish you by not letting you make any more dives for a day or two. The reality is that most people would just dive without a computer or dive with a different computer for the remainder of their dive trip.

There are only a handful of dive computer brands that will continue to help you dive safely by providing data even after making a mistake. Ratio and Shearwater are the only two brands that come to mind right now. I'm not sure about Ratio, but shearwater will even let you correct that mistake (change dive settings) while you're still underwater.

3. Jiminy

Jiminy Barracuda

# of Dives: 25 - 49

4. Alekseolsen

Alekseolsen Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Heinrich Weikamp / OSTC can be added

kelemvor likes this.
  5. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    There is also a setting in Ratio iX3M to enable/disable lockouts. I can't imagine why anyone would want to enable them. My guess is that it didn't take any extra programming, so they included the feature just to have another feature.

6. Jiminy

Jiminy Barracuda

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I would prefer to have the option and even if I never use it. I like having options. With that being said lockouts are not such a big deal on Ratios since they are only 12 hrs not a ridiculous time like 48 hours

7. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

Wienke wrote somewhere that "repetitive dives" window should be 36 hours. If that's how it's implemented in RGBM computers, the lockout should be that or longer.

Other models don't really care. DSAT has 6 hours (with the "take every 6th day off" caveat), and the basic formula is symmetrical. You sleep for 8 hours at night, you off-gassed enough. Except in the slowest tisue compartments that never on-gassed in the first pace, unless you're doing commercial saturation diving.

8. Subcooled

Subcooled Assistant Instructor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I had a Suunto Vyper that lasted for 8 years or 350+ dives. It did not break, I just lost it in a cave ( please don't ask :D ). Then I got another one, and it failed after 20 dives. Bad pressure sensor. I got that repaired (for free as it was under warranty) and now I am assuming the device will work for a decade at least.

You could always get an Apeks Dive Watch and an Oceanic analog depth gauge (with nonlinear scale to make the low depths count) and dive with tables. If you are not doing multilevel-deco-dives then this is a viable old school option. (note though: analog gauges must be calibrated too.)

9. Kimela

Kimela Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I read - maybe here or somewhere on Scubaboard - that Suunto settled a lawsuit and were found to be replacing faulty Cobras with brand new (but also faulty) Cobras. I've been thinking about sending in my paperweight Cobra to see what I might get out of the lawsuit.

10. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Best of luck, and what will you get in return, a Suunto?