Votes: 4 10.8%
  • sometimes

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • when I know I will be using it

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only because I do not have one. Just found my first anchor and had to leave it on the bottom. Now a lift bag is on the list of things to get and I will start carrying it.

WVMike once bubbled...
Only because I do not have one. Just found my first anchor and had to leave it on the bottom. Now a lift bag is on the list of things to get and I will start carrying it.

Don't forget a Jon line for something to attach to the item to be lifted. :wink:

-SS

scubasean once bubbled...

My B/C works kinda like a lift bag...heh

I found a HEAVY weightbelt a few weeks ago, and was able to use the excess lifting capacity of my BC to get neutral with the extra weight....My arms were tired at the shore from having carried it, but I was neutral the entire time I was swimming to shore....

(Yes, I'm aware that I should probably have a smaller wing on my transpac...)

I assume you know this but in case you don't...

Using your BC as a lift bag isn't always the safest thing to do, especially with heavy objects. If you were to drop a heavy weight belt at shallow depth, are you sure you could dump the excess air out of your BC fast enough to keep from shooting to the surface and blowing your safety stop and ascent rate? The nice thing about a lift bag is if you drop the ballast, you can release the bag and not get pulled up with it.

.... after reading that book "Deep Descent", I will now always dive with a lift bag, a spool/reel, a jon line, and alternate air source.

I have a largeish dsmb attached to a reel with 80m of line on it, a small one with a drop weight and 18m of string in it for when the big one goes tits up for whatever reason, and a big yellow lifting bag, for treasure lol

not a huge amount, some brass shell cases, lots of anchors and shot weights tho. Save the club a fortune in boat bits

I carry an SMB and rell all of the time - you can never have enough practise deyploying these things.

The other thing I have done to to put markers on my reel line at 9m, 6m and 3m - a quick reference for stops, also another backup if computer and watch fail, OK should still have my buddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom