light arms for Gates housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a Gates housing for an HC-7 on the way and a set of Salvo 24 watt HID video lights and now I need to get the arms to hold the lights. Can anyone suggest something for me here? This is my first UW video setup and like a moron I didn't realize the arms would be something seperate. The Ultra Light arms look pretty good but I don't know what arms and what adapters I will need for the Gates housing and the Salvo lights. No one around here is a dealer for Ultra Light so I have no where to turn to locally. Any help would be appreciated. This forum on SB has been a huge source of information for me so far so thanks in advance.

Gates and Salvo will be able to tell you the thread size you'll need.

The arms is your decision. I have 8" arms. It's a nice in between size. I just ordered the new 2" buoyancy arms to offset the negative weight of my lamps and housing.

ronrosa:
I just ordered the new 2" buoyancy arms to offset the negative weight of my lamps and housing.

ronrosa,

Do you have a link for the 2" buoyance arms?

Mini Dive:
ronrosa,

Do you have a link for the 2" buoyance arms?

Last I looked, ULCS did not update their website yet.

Here is a link to a post on another board, that has some pics, details and price. I ordered mine direct from Terry at ULCS.

Link

I know a lot of people like the expensive ultra light arms but I found them to be a pain to adjust under water, especially when I needed to adjust quickly. I was using the Gates housing and the heavy UK Cannons at the time. Now I just use those flexible loc line arms because they are quick and easy to adjust, and hold even the heavy lights up when in the water. Now I am using the L & M housing with the loc line arms and the L & M HID lights.
Steve:14:

Bismark:
I have a Gates housing for an HC-7 on the way and a set of Salvo 24 watt HID video lights and now I need to get the arms to hold the lights. Can anyone suggest something for me here? This is my first UW video setup and like a moron I didn't realize the arms would be something seperate. The Ultra Light arms look pretty good but I don't know what arms and what adapters I will need for the Gates housing and the Salvo lights. No one around here is a dealer for Ultra Light so I have no where to turn to locally. Any help would be appreciated. This forum on SB has been a huge source of information for me so far so thanks in advance.

Sweet Bismark... I've also just ordered the Gates HC7 housing. I'm also planning on using a Salvo light, but just a single 21W which uses the older enclosed head initially. I emailed Barry and he had mentioned that the Salvo video heads take the ULCS adapters. Joe @ marinevisions.com has been helping me out setting up a flex arm and a diverite light adapter to fit my light head. Anyways, look fwd to hearing your feedback on the twin 24W salvo's. Do you plan on mounting the battery on your waist?

Check with your Gates dealer and they should be able to setup you up with which adapters to use to mount either ULCS arms or flex arms to the Gates handles.

I have the new 8" buoyancy arms. They feel pretty light. Although the arm itself is buoyant, when you add the 2 adapters and 2 connectors, it's about neutral.

I just got loc-line arms for the rig I'm putting together. I think they cost me about $15.

Go to http://www.modularhose.com/ll34.htm and buy the $10 sample kit (comes with two 5 3/4" loc-line lengths) and the $5 fixed mount 2-pack (to attach the arms to your camera tray) in the 3/4" size. All you need to do from there is make a simple connector to attach your light... I made one with "friendly plastic", and it looks like it's going to work like a champ.

sharksdelight:
I know a lot of people like the expensive ultra light arms but I found them to be a pain to adjust under water, especially when I needed to adjust quickly. I was using the Gates housing and the heavy UK Cannons at the time. Now I just use those flexible loc line arms because they are quick and easy to adjust, and hold even the heavy lights up when in the water. Now I am using the L & M housing with the loc line arms and the L & M HID lights.
Steve:14:

When I 1st got into uw video I decided to go w/ ULCS arms instead of LocLine. I think it was the issue of LocLine arms not being able to hold the weight of heavier lights out of the water and also possible in the water. The newer LocLine arms are probably stronger than what was available at that time.

ULCS arms took a few dives to get the feel for how tight to set the clamps to make them hold steady and be adjustable at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom