Light Cannon/Duracell battery love affair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HaoleDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
So I have had several people tell me - and recently confirmed it with my own torch - that apparently UK Light Cannon's only like Duracell batteries? My light was dead, I checked the connections, tightened the switch, checked the bulb, and put 8 fresh Energizer in, still didnt work (a few days earlier I had ordered a battery pack, but it isnt in yet). So I took it to the LDS, and they were like "Oh yeah, it doesnt like anything but Duracells." I said they were full of it, but we put 8 old duracells in, and sure enough, it worked. I bought 8 fresh ones, put them in, and it worked fine. Interestingly enough though, the display model at the shop ran on both, maybe as the torches get old (mine is just over a year old, with steady use) they get temperemental?

My backup lights are tempermental like that.

Sometimes they only like el-cheapo off brand junk, sometimes they only like duracell and sometimes they only like energizer.

They seem to change preferance when the batteries are changed and they seem to hold that preferance untill you dare to open the light up again. Then they completely switch!

My solution was to include a few sets of replacement batteries of various makes in the portable dive shop.

I had that same "freak out" with my Light Cannon when I first had it. My first set of batteries were Duracells and it worked great. The next set were some regulatr Engergizers - I spent about an hour disassembling and reassembling the light until I took it to my shop for help.

If I remember right, I think it's the bottom "negative" contact tabs that don't quite touch on the energizers....

On the other hand, I picked up some basic NiMH rechargeable C-Cells from Batteries Plus, and I've used them a ton of times now with no problems.

HaoleDiver:
So I have had several people tell me - and recently confirmed it with my own torch - that apparently UK Light Cannon's only like Duracell batteries? My light was dead, I checked the connections, tightened the switch, checked the bulb, and put 8 fresh Energizer in, still didnt work (a few days earlier I had ordered a battery pack, but it isnt in yet). So I took it to the LDS, and they were like "Oh yeah, it doesnt like anything but Duracells." I said they were full of it, but we put 8 old duracells in, and sure enough, it worked. I bought 8 fresh ones, put them in, and it worked fine. Interestingly enough though, the display model at the shop ran on both, maybe as the torches get old (mine is just over a year old, with steady use) they get temperemental?
When I got mine it was finikey as heck. To get it to turn on I would spend about 5 minutes jigglying, tightning, loostening, etc. I never realized at the time it was the battery choice.

The good news is that I have the battery pack now and I have had absolutly 0 problems since then. So when you get your's hopefully you won't either.

James

You can also try bending the tabs on the bottom plate a little, if you are feeling up for it. Just bend them a little to get contact.

I had an email discussion with UK about batteries. They only recommend duracell or rayovac. (They show duracells in the instruction booklet.) They have issues with the negative end of the energizers because it only makes contact in the center. For the D4/D8, they sell an adapter that enables energizers to make proper contact. The adapter is in the parts list on the UK website. Maybe there is one for the Light Cannon as well.

Yea. Old problem. I've had problems with Energizers in other things too. I think they just have odd shaped contacts. People have used bits of foil, wire, etc. to "fix" the problem. I just don't bother with Energizers in the LC any more.

Actually, I don't use Duracells either. I was thinking about getting some C size NiMh cells, but I already have a ton of AA cells. So I took some 1/2" PVC and Duct tape and made some battery adapters. Now I run my LC off of AA size NiMh rechargeables. With 2300mA cells I get well over 2 hours of light. With my 2000mA Rayovac 15 minute charge cells I get almost 2 hours. So far that has been enough for my needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom