Light Monkey 200' Primary reel VS Hollis Pathseeker Mini 200' reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshvet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am about to buy a reel for wreck diving. I have narrowed it down to these 2. Any thoughts (Pro or con) would be appreciated. One question I have is space for gloved hand in handle.
Thanks.

Marshall

The Hollis reel's handle space is 3/8th wider than the Lightmonkey...I have both [larger models] and the Hollis also has a smoother 'drag'....The wheel on the Lightmonkey is slightly 'out-of-round' so the drag is not smooth/consistent.......Pro's-vs-Con's, I prefer the Hollis.....Also think about getting Hi-Viz line....The yellow stands out well in dark places w/a light, the orange stands out better in ow w/sunlight......You'll also get more line on your reel w/Hi-Viz .....See Divegearexpress.com.....

Sorry if this doesn't directly answer your question but - why does a recreational diver need a 200' wreck reel?!?!

Save yourself a fortune, keep-it-simple, and get a ~150' finger spool. Much, much cheaper, easier to use... and you won't make financially driven decisions when environmental factors might otherwise necessitate leaving the reel in place and exiting the wreck quickly.

Thanks Devon and j2s. The reason I am looking for the reel is because I am signed up for a Wreck Specialty and am required to have one. Also, although a few people said that a 100' would suffice, more have suggested that if you are going to get a reel, make it at least 200 or it is a waste of $. j2s, one of the "selling points" of the L.M. is that it is all Delrin and there are, "...Exact tolerances between handle and spool" , whereas the Hollis is glass filled nylon and also boasts exacting tolerances. Any thoughts with regards to durability of each and the comparison of likelihood to birdnest?
Thanks again.

Marshall

Thanks Devon and j2s. The reason I am looking for the reel is because I am signed up for a Wreck Specialty and am required to have one.

Personally, I'd ask if a finger spool was sufficient. There's no 'course standards' reason why it wouldn't be.

The difference is $15 versus $150+... and, IMHO, a spool is better suited to the task of recreational wreck penetration than a sidewinder type cave/technical reel (if only for the cost/value issues reasoned above).

Thanks Devon and j2s. The reason I am looking for the reel is because I am signed up for a Wreck Specialty and am required to have one. Also, although a few people said that a 100' would suffice, more have suggested that if you are going to get a reel, make it at least 200 or it is a waste of $. j2s, one of the "selling points" of the L.M. is that it is all Delrin and there are, "...Exact tolerances between handle and spool" , whereas the Hollis is glass filled nylon and also boasts exacting tolerances. Any thoughts with regards to durability of each and the comparison of likelihood to birdnest?
Thanks again.

Marshall
I've found no problem w/durability w/either reel and have had both for several years, but it depends on how a diver takes care/treats gear...The Hollis handle is a little more brittle [but I've never had one break ] than the LM Delron....So if a user were hard/abusive on gear the LM would be tougher...As for 'birdnests', that's why I prefer Hollis, the drag is smoother, more consistent, making it easier to wind.....But reel usage [avoiding 'birdnests'] is something that takes practice and is more a function of the diver's ability than the reel....Even Spectrum reels w/their line leveler, when not used correctly [or properly maintained] will birdnest, jam etc......Reel use while maintaining buoyancy,trim,watching a 'buddy' and where you are going/coming from, gives new meaning to 'multi-tasking'.....Whether you choose LM, Hollis, Spectrum, finger spools or combinations as many dedicated wreck/cave divers do, it's a matter of personal preference....And PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE....When you can reel-up w/o looking at your reel and not load-lope-sided or birdnest, you've ARRIVED :) !!!!!.....Good luck in your Wreck course and when you move onto Cavern/Caves [it's an inevitable progression ;O !!] give me a holler, we'll 'buddy' up.....

Back
Top Bottom