Light - murky and dark lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irycio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, thanks for stopping by :)

In search of a light. Diving mostly in lakes. At first visibility sucks because of sediment/blooming/whatever, so need something tight to not loose a buddy and not get terrible backscatter. Underneath, visibility sucks because, well, all the light got absorbed above, so it's a night dive regardless of what time of the day you enter the water. But then it gets clean, so flood is a good option, can be with a spot in the middle for signaling.

No overhead, preferred burn time of c.a. 2 hours in case I want to dive twice in a given day. Clearly nice if it's reliable but hey, if it dies on me I can always get up, so I do not mind cheapos

I like hard goodmans for easy removal, so that I do not flash all over the place while playing with my wing.

I do not mind canisters and cords, but my diving does not seem to warrant them. Still, I've been also looking at the Chinese cans and people here do not seem too displeased with them either.

Solas are also under some consideration, though I find them quite overpriced here in Switzerland and they do not feel sturdy enough to justify the price.

Budget up to $400, preferably below.

Thanks in advance!

Murky lakes demand a narrow beam. The Heser Backup has a 4 degree beam but not much light. You might find a light with more lumens but backscatter will be your enemy.
You will want a narrow beam if you want to see far away.
I cannot give you a definitive answer.

Some people I know have been happy with the Orcatorch D630. I cannot say anything about it. Haven't used. "Hand held" options exist, too.

I agree the tighter the beam, the better.

I have been using an Archon DH 26 for a couple of years. I have no major complaints with the light. Has a good burn time, specs state 3 hours on high.

I will replace the light in the next 12 months, as my diving progresses. Not due to any malfunctions, simply due to needing features that this light does not have.

For your stated uses, it might be worth taking a look at.

DW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom