Lighting options with the DC1000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyingfrawg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Since the 1000 does both vid and still pretty well, does it make any sense to use a dive light like the Ikelite Pro V-8 LED as a field illumination light (for vid and still) and the SeaLife flash to fill? Has/Does anyone do this currently? What success?

TIA -

another diver with :dork2: tendencies...

I see we are thinking the same way. I was hoping to get some kind of input. I was looking on BHphoto and seen a battery operated light. I was thinking of rigging it someway on my camera. Have you came up with an answer???

You should look into a focus light like the Big Blue

FF1x5kit.jpg

The light goes out automatically for 3 seconds when the strobe discharges

I got mine from

Big Blue FF1x5 AFO Focus Light Kit - Focus Lights - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

This image was taken on a night dive, no strobe, standard "program" setting on the camera (This is the above water land setting on my DC600) using the Big Blue with a piece of white plastic bag over the beam as a defuser (flash turned off)

sailfinblenny0912122.jpg

Treywilly, I'll let you know as soon as I can dive again (post-surgical plus rotten winter white out on the east coast US). I have a mounting adapter that allows two lights and plan to try it as soon as I dive again. It seems to work on the surface, but "ya never know until you try it"...

I see we are thinking the same way. I was hoping to get some kind of input. I was looking on BHphoto and seen a battery operated light. I was thinking of rigging it someway on my camera. Have you came up with an answer???

Hey CoolTech,

Many thanks for the pointer, but right now I want to avoid adding more specialized stuff to my kit. When I start getting results that even begin to look like yours with the rig as-is, then I will reconsider that. The photo is great. Was that shot near "the Bridge"?

Hey CoolTech,

Many thanks for the pointer, but right now I want to avoid adding more specialized stuff to my kit. When I start getting results that even begin to look like yours with the rig as-is, then I will reconsider that. The photo is great. Was that shot near "the Bridge"?
Understandable...

That photo was taken with my DC600 on a night dive at Blue Heron Bridge (north side of the east span). In addition to the settings and focus light explained above, I have a +5 and +10 diopter lens (a wet lens that can be switched underwater). I've been using this camera for almost 4 years. SeaLife has seen pictures I have taken with the camera and told me "That camera shouldn't be able to take those pictures".

So, if my camera is a standard car... I added huge engine and headers to make it go as fast as possible :D

I just got the hot shoe for my camera, next is the focus light. This addition is the most important piece it will allow me to add a video light as well ( battery operated ).

Send a picture or a short video of what and how you hooked it up!!!
My email is. Treywilly@yahoo.com
I drilled a hole in the mounting plate and screw it on with a 1/4"x3/4" flat head SS screw

I just got the hot shoe for my camera, next is the focus light. This addition is the most important piece it will allow me to add a video light as well ( battery operated ).
If you are going to use the hot shoe, I recommend a 3/8" SS washer to go between the shoe and the top of your camera. The DC camera housings have rubber covering the hot shoe connector. If you don't put a washer on top, it will likely "smash down on the rubber" and fall off the camera when you try to move the focus light

Hi Treywilly -

I have been out on the road for the last couple of weeks. Sorry, just been unable to answer. I hope to have some time to assemble everything and get a picture posted this week.

Cooltech -

I am in awe of your ability to get good results with the 600. I am looking forward to some more dive time later this spring and hope to get back in with the camera. I have a few trips to your area, so I just might see you at the bridge.

CoolTech seems to be some kind of underwater McGyver. How do you come up with stuff like that?
Let's see, I think I'll tell the camera it's on land and, oh there's a white garbage bag floating by. I better grab it and take it ashore... here, I'll just hook it on my camera and oh crap! I just pushed the shutter button, I wonder what kinda picture that'll be...

All kidding aside I too am in awe of your ability to figure stuff like that out and get results. I just got a DC1000 Maxx and I'm thinking about a focus light. I emailed Jack at Optical Ocean Sales and he basically said he can offer nothing that'll work with Sealife products.

When you say you attached it to the mounting plate, did it fit in that inch between the camera and the flash arm?

Cheers,
Steve

p.s. That was my first post - very interesting thread guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom