Lights for long dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
While not strictly a rebreather question, I have a question for those of you who routinely push your canister lights beyond 4 hours.

What are you using? I suppose the 13.5A/10w HID would give enough time, and it might be close with an 18w at the same amperage. I had a conversation over the weekend with a light builder about the possibility of a custom light canister for driving the 21w HID I am looking to buy. It seemed doable, and then it struck me that this might be something RB divers would be interested in.

So how about it? Would you go back to carrying the larger SLA sized canisters to have 8+ hours burntime on your 21w HIDs? I'm not talking a return to the days of the AUL Spectrum lights, but something larger than the common 9A and 13A canisters we see commonly now.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The salvo lion light is the size of a normal 9amp NIMH. It gives 6 hours of burn time. You might be able to talk them into making a LION cannister that would be the size of a normal 13.5 NIMH. That should get you close to your 8 hour burn time requirement.

Actually I did speak to them. The problem with the LiON is that you can't do the nifty remote head thing. But otherwise its a great idea.

Sorry, I should have specified a waist mounted canister. Good catch Floater.

PerroneFord:
While not strictly a rebreather question, I have a question for those of you who routinely push your canister lights beyond 4 hours.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I bought a second battery.

LOL! Kinda hard to change them underwater!

limeyx:
Ummm, how many 4 hour dives are you really gonna do though? That's a crapload of bottom time.

How about 2 shorter dives?

The guys around me are doing 4-5 hour dives almost weekly. Much of it below 200ft. And they are all looking at longer canisters. Not that I'll be doing that in the next few weeks (LOL) but if I want to dive with them at some point, it will have to be addressed.

I imagine those folk would love to have a 8-10hr light that was robust. And without having to have it custom built.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom