Lights for long dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
None of my pals have an RB-80. Well at least none I dive with. The guys I am in the water with dive either a KISS, Ourboros, or a Meg. I've seen the KISS in the water for just over 4 hours, the Boros for just about 5, and the Meg with the new 8hr canister for about 6.5. Really impressive how they've stuffed the CIS can in the Meg.

I was all set to look at a KISS (and still might) but that new COPIS Meg has some REAL potential now, especially with the new canister.
I would be very interested to know where you have seen an 8hr meg canister since there is no 8 hr cannister released by InnerSpace Systems. The new radial canister is not rated. Who are you hanging with that owns a meg? I am wondering where you are getting this stuff.

PerroneFord:
Innerspace is not the only group working on an 8hr canister for the meg. Ask around, they are out there.
So who exactly should I ask?

wedivebc:
I would be very interested to know where you have seen an 8hr meg canister since there is no 8 hr cannister released by InnerSpace Systems.

Yep, you're right.

ISC offers 2 sizes of axial canister, one for the standard meg, 5.5 lbs, one for the mini meg about 4 lbs.
also an adaptor to put the extendaire cartridge in the movie meg (middle size)
there is also an adaptor to use the prism radial in the standard meg
The meg was originally designed to accept the Cis-lunar water tolerant scrubber canister designed by Bill Stone. Not levered in as an afterthought. The Cis unit is the only "water tolerant" scrubber that fits in the meg and it holds about 5.5 lbs of material.

The newest unit is built in house at ISC and holds 7.5 lbs of scrubber material in a radial canister, the first of the pre-prototypes is sitting in our LDS as i type and there are only two being dived while testing continues and a manufacturing process is completed. One is owned by Cedric Verdier in France and it was fast tracked out to him to aid in the massive push to over 600fsw on a wreck dive he was planning which would have pushed the standard axial a bit too far. The other unit is in Ron Micjan's personal meg that is currently here in Nanaimo. there has been no test data released on the new radials, either Golem's unit or the ISC unit. the ISC unit has been tested by HSE in the UK, but the data has not been released to date. There is another homebuilt radial that Ken Swain put together at his shop and the plans for it have been posted on RBW, but it has the same dimensional scale as the ISC unit (form follows function eh?), so will have the same breathing and capacity.

I might suggest that you refrain from posting data of which you have no verification of, rather than have to retract said inaccurate posts later. : )

I just came here to ask about a light.

PerroneFord:
I just came here to ask about a light.

A large Meg can with a custom dry lid and li-on batteries should give you a burn time of approximately 48 hours. Batteries can be configured in a block radial pattern to ease loading. :D

Geesh guys...come on. He's just wondering about "if's". The contentious stuff should stay on RB World where world experts can harsh on each other.

Kens scrubber holds between 7.5lbs to 8.1lbs Depending on which one you use. It's been used for 9.5 hours on one fill. But, his recomendation was around 6 hours to leave a couple hours of backup.

It's been being dove in 4 degree water. Ken's around Chicago. He states the 2 prototypes have around 100hrs on them.

I'm wondering about the 2 prototypes. Because I saw 2 for sure and maybe a third. At Ghost Ship Festival. When I saw them I knew it had to be him. But, didn't have a lot of time to look for him.

Only way to get one of Kens is build it yourself. He's not offering kits.

But, the Golemgear is supposed to be the same size. So, i'd expect similar results. Golem will even build it to a custom length. Have a smaller can? Want it to fill the can without a spacer? They'll do it. Or said they would. $1000. It looks like a nice set up too. Little easier to fill since the lid has springs in it.

You can adjust your size on Ken's too... When I saw Kens in person I was chompin at the bit to get one. Cost to build it yourself would be around $300. If you got the Skills.

Reason it is nice to have a 8lb scrubber. So I fill it once for a day of diving on the boat. I ain't looking at doing 6-8hr dives.. LOL... But, get lost in a wreck and it's nice to have backup... When I'm in chicago I usually do full day on Sat and half day on Sunday. One fill could do it all. That would be nice.

Way to go at it Dave, there are those of us who actually own MEGs that can answer Meg scrubber questions, rather than have a fella who might know someone who has a friend who may have seen "the Cave" movie once, try to answer with an obvious lack of real information.
loving my 7.5lb radial scrubber... : )

Hey, but when I need an answer to what flavor kool-aid to drink, I know for a fact that I can log onto www.scubabored.com and ask Perrone Ford and he will know. Way to go PF!

Cheers, be sure to click on the link above, but only if you are really bored. : )

Back
Top Bottom