Lightweight BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pj5:
(I'm lazy, so I'm trying to avoid assembling something myself).

I appreciate ya'll's suggestions though, they've been a big help.

. I'm guessing there are lots of divers close to you that would put your BP/W together. it;s very very simple, and a few dives in one and you'll never go back to the goofy jacket stuff.

I don't have any problems with the HUB except for the fact that it is so freakin' heavy and the ditchable weight is a pain to install. My original query for a lightweight BC is probably misleading because it is less about flying with my gear and more about what I can stand to wear. The HUB is just more than I can stand to wear (I can bear it, but I don't like to). Unfortunately, I don't have a hard number on what I can stand to wear. The one time I wore a Ladyhawk with a single tank, it was good (kind of a relief after the HUB).

Any comments on Poseidan Techlift Gravity Zero? Haven't done my homework yet, but as the dive shop I visited today closed, the woman who helped me try on a half dozen BCD models and saw how I was grading them suggested that I look into it (unfortunately, they have sold out so I'll have to go back later to get my hands on one).

Amphibious:
. I'm guessing there are lots of divers close to you that would put your BP/W together. it;s very very simple, and a few dives in one and you'll never go back to the goofy jacket stuff.

I do work with a lot of divers and there is a lot of diving going on at my workplace, so you are correct. Just hate to impose with my ignorance too often when they can't really escape.

pj5:
Been doing a lot of internet research since yesterday. Women's designs seem to be an excuse to use cheaper and less durable materials and to provide less attachment points/pockets. Next round of visiting LDS, I will be comparing fit of women's to men's/unisex models: for the most part, don't see any difference in the photos. Also, the shops I visited don't rent their women's BCDs. So a pox on them all! My list of candidate BCDs is now almost all men's/unisex BCDs. Only one designed for women made the cut (Scubapro Ladyhawk), and only because I know I can try before I buy.

Zeagle is out because I don't like the ripcord weight release system. Eagle Z-1 is very tempting, but out because there is only one LDS in the whole world selling them (hate to see it shut down and be stuck with no way to get it inspected/serviced). I'm looking at Seaquest, Mares (thanks for the tip on the Journey...I'm leaning to back mounted bladder), and ScubaPro. Still not quite ready to cross over to the dark side of backplate, harness and wings yet, but I'll get there if I don't find what I want (I'm lazy, so I'm trying to avoid assembling something myself).

I appreciate ya'll's suggestions though, they've been a big help.

As the Technician for Divers Direct I can say that I have BC's and regs shipped to me from across the country and average a 4-5 day turn around time from the time it hits my bench. I would be happy to support your gear and anyone elses that falls under Mares/Oceanic/Tusa/Zeagle/Aeris/Aqualung.

Sending your gear through the mail or Fed Ex/UPS etc. can be a little worrisome and certainly not the most convenient thing in the world but with insurance, the right address, and a little patience it is really not a huge problem.

The following links may help in your search for the right BC and service provider.

http://www.diversdirect.com/group/BC's_ID17

http://www.diversdirect.com/group/Repair/Annual Service_ID163

pj5:
Zeagle is out because I don't like the ripcord weight release system.

Have you had anyone actually explain the ripcord system?? It's one of the most mis-understood things in scuba. It is without a doubt the best weight system out there. People say the threading is a big deal... and it's not. It takes about 2 minutes - and the only time you will ever have to do it is if you emergency ditch your weights. I have over 5,000 dives and have never ditched once.

And everytime you go diving you have to put weights in and out of a BC. With most, you have to take out pockets (which can get lost), put in the weights, then put the weight pockets back into the BC. And if you hit the water and discover you need another few pounds, this can be a major pain. With the Zeagle - you just unzip the top of the pocket and add or subtract lead. There is not another weight system I've ever seen that is easier to ditch in an emergency, and easier to load and unload - and is dependable - never ever had a report of an accidental dump - while we sell pockets to folks every day that have a pocket fall out during a dive.

Just may want to look at it a bit closer before you automatically reject it.

The ripcord system was explained to me like this (as I was getting ready to try it out at the LDS): "Don't pull that! it's a PITA to put back together." I'll be going to another LDS that sells Zeagles in the next day or two...I'll see if I can get more info and a demo out of them. It's an automatic reject until I can find someone willing to let me try it and to show me how to put it back together.

The "rip cord" system on older seaquest bc's looks great when you are standing up on the surface. Underwater, the weight pockets hand down/out like speed brakes if you decend head- first (even slightly down-angle as in bottom-following dives).. The newer ones might be better; worth checking out..
I much prefer integrated pockets that stay close to your body.

pj5:
The ripcord system was explained to me like this (as I was getting ready to try it out at the LDS): "Don't pull that! it's a PITA to put back together." I'll be going to another LDS that sells Zeagles in the next day or two...I'll see if I can get more info and a demo out of them. It's an automatic reject until I can find someone willing to let me try it and to show me how to put it back together.

Wow! And people wonder why LDS's are having a hard time...

I agree with Larry on this. I've got a Zeagle Brigade and my wife has a Zena.
Both have the Ripcord system. While we were in the shop Larry loaded up
the system with weights and had us dump them. Nice and easy. Then he
re threaded it and had us do it again and then had us re-thread it ourselves.
I think the 2 minutes he said is conservative and it probably takes about
a minute or so.
It's pretty obvious how it goes back together. Instructions aren't needed.

"PITA to put back together", not hardly. Perhaps if you are a sales guy
and a dozen customers a day pull them and never buy anything it probably
is a pain. But it's not complicated and I'd say its easier and less time consuming
than hooking up the BC, regulators, and gauges to the tank and people do that
multiple times a day when diving.

Comfort wise, the Zena was by far the best fitting and comfortable BC
for my wife. Its very compact and lightweight (wight weights removed).

In picking a BC, whatever the brand, I wouldn't optimize my choice around
a weight ditching system which hopefully is never used. Go for comfort and fit
and features that are used on each dive and on each trip - like the ability
to use standard weights, or overall weight, etc...

As far as shifting goes, I haven't had any issues. I just recently came back
from Bonaire. I took lots of pictures, I was horrizontal, vertical, upsidedown,
sideways and never felt any shifting of BC or the weights. In my case, I did
have the yellow thingies (weight pouches) for convenience of loading
and unloading the weights but they are not necessary.
I really like it because it is weight integrated but uses normal weight belt
weights that I don't have to pack and carry with me and are included
for free with most resorts and dives.

The only negatives that I've noticed, is that when at the surface and you
have your BC really inflated, the weights can make it slightly more difficult
to get bigger items in/out of your BC pocket when using hard weights
at least on the Brigade model. The Brigade is a bit bulky to pack due
to its weight pockets, side pockets and cummerbund. You
can take it apart and it will pack alot smaller though.

The Zena, is very compact (I'm kind of jealous of my wife) it packs very
easily. - But you don't get built in pockets on the Zena.

--- bill

If I were you, I would go for a wing system. Is so much easier to carry around. And if you get an aluminum plate is quite light. It is streamlined and very simple to use.

I have a Seaquest Pro Unlimited which I think is very good but in the end of the day I regret having bought it. Did 2 dives with it and now I want to sell it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom