Lightweight BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Dive Rite Trans Pack and Travel wings is as light as it can get, easily adjustable and if you need pockets, they can be added very easily.

The TransPack or similar soft packs, has the benefeit of being a modular design and can be upgraded later to bigger wings if needed, just check them and you'll be closer to the dark side:D

As mentioned before, a Kydex (www.deepseasupply.com) or ABS Dive Rite BP and wings from any top manufacturer is upgradable later if needed, very light and very compact to pack in the gear bag, just check them to see if they fit the bill of what you need/look for.

pj5:
The ripcord system was explained to me like this (as I was getting ready to try it out at the LDS): "Don't pull that! it's a PITA to put back together." I'll be going to another LDS that sells Zeagles in the next day or two...I'll see if I can get more info and a demo out of them. It's an automatic reject until I can find someone willing to let me try it and to show me how to put it back together.

Find yourself a decent shop. I don't own one but my best friend does and it is very simple to reload. No issues at all. Its also much easier and faster than my Knighthawk in an emergency situation overall I have to admit. Most decent LDS's will also let you try out the equipment in the pool before you buy it so if you are unsure, go try it out and get them to work with you. If they are not willing...go somewhere else. If you consideration is based upon the Zeagles being a PITA to put back together....don't let it stop you. But most importantly, make sure it fits you and you are comfortable with it first.

nunomix:
If I were you, I would go for a wing system. Is so much easier to carry around. And if you get an aluminum plate is quite light. It is streamlined and very simple to use.

I have a Seaquest Pro Unlimited which I think is very good but in the end of the day I regret having bought it. Did 2 dives with it and now I want to sell it.

Why, exactly, did you end up regretting that you got it?

Funny. I just got a ZEAGLE from scubatoys and when I got it, I wasnt too clear about the reip-cord. If I thought about it for a second, I would have realized what it was. But I didnt, I just pulled the cord within 2 mins of having it out of the box.

Then i thought Hmmm.... But I looked at it and threaded it back in about 5 mins without knowing anything about the rip-cord system or reading the manual.

So dont let the rip-cord system be the deciding factor.

pj5:
Been doing a lot of internet research since yesterday. Women's designs seem to be an excuse to use cheaper and less durable materials and to provide less attachment points/pockets.

I dive a Sherwood Avid as does a female buddy. We're both happy with them. Sturdy, plenty of attachment points, 2 good pockets etc, here's an old post where I mentioned why I bought...
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1142032&postcount=2

You soundlike you know what you are looking for so just keep digging in. With the weights out it is very light. I notice it most when I'm sloshing it around during clean-up.

Pete

pj5:
Why, exactly, did you end up regretting that you got it?

The BCD is for sure very good and very well made.

The problem is that it is very heavy and bulky to transport for example. I knew it before buying it but in the end I regret it anyway. Also for diving with a drysuit it does not give me too much range of movement to reach the valves.

As I've posted a bunch of times in other places, I'm definitely a big fan of my Zeagle Zena. I find it to be the most comfortable BC I've ever tried in or out of the water. With the wing design, you have zero bulk around your body to interfere or obstruct you in any way, and considering it weighs around 4 pounds it's great for travel.

I have to agree 100% about the ripcord system, it's no big deal and doesn't bother me at all. On the other hand, if it were a PITA to rethread, that wouldn't bother me either because I hope to never have to deploy it, and if I do, rethreading will be the least of my concerns.

Larry is right on about the safety and convenience of the zippered weight pockets. On our liveaboard recently, I simply loaded my weights, zipped the pocket, and called it good. Unfortunately, my husband has a SeaQuest Pro QD+ and on our 3rd dive day the minute he went horizontal to descend, one of his pockets popped out. With the bottom being around 300 feet, it was bye bye! We're now waiting for our LDS to get us a new pocket ($25 a pop).

But the bottom line is this....find a BC you love and one that fits well...then GO DIVE!

Anyone know anything about the ARIS REEF RIDER??

After all said and done searching everywhere I just bought an Zeagle Escape for 319.00
After all Zeagle says "they are on the way out the door" In with a new model this year. Get them while they last....

Back
Top Bottom