Like a kid with candy, internet prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
Two questions: Is there such a beast as a scuba equipment distributor? Secondly, how does Aqualung get away with not providing warranty on regulators purchased from gray market dealers?

RedHead: They simply choose not too. Some local dealers like to hear the "Authorized Dealer" line. Those same dealers, sometimes, tell their customers, "OH, it's grey market, it is probably used, we can not offer any support". In the meantime, the world marches on and more and more divers/soon to be divers/etc. avail themselves of the world wide web and research on their own-sometimes, on boards like this. Those dealers who believe the company line "They are not an authorized dealer" and get defensive when customers question pricing simply turn off the potential customers.

Actually, I can see "grey Market sales" as a good thing for Aqualungs bottom line. They choose to let it happen.

Think about it, Aqualung (the corporation) gets to move thousands of extra regulators and never have to worry about them again. They don't have to warranty them, they don't have to give "free parts for life" at annual services, and they choose selectively on what they will warranty under "recalls".

To Aqualung, the "grey market" is the perfect customer. One that pays it's money and then they never have to deal with again.

Grey market is used frequently in the camera market. Items built for other markets (as in: other countries) are purchased at the lower market prices out of the country... then shipped to America and sold below market price. In the camera world, the problems exist in differing power adapters and the like... Also, some companies operate their market/countries independently... warranty work is available, you just must send it to corporate headquarters in whatever country it's in. AFAIK, prices are related to the costs incurred in creating and maintaining the local market.

I've bought grey market camera components and won't do it again. I had multiple issues (including mismatched adapters). I know that SCUBA gear is pretty standardized, but I want my regional support if I have a problem. If you're going to put out the money for something that's going to support your life, why save $30 and give up your warranty?

I'm a single parent, so I understand the Concept of Tight Dollars better than most, but I think I put a price on my support. I do buy used on some items, but from the LDS where I do my business frequently. They give me plenty of support.

Just my 2psi...

Internet and dive show prices are always better. However when things go wrong we know the aftersales service is often non existant. Customer complaining by phone long distance can be left on hold or fobbed off with promises and their email ignored. If you want local service, ask your LDS to price match, I doubt they can give goods at the same discounted price, but you usually get more favourable terms.
When I was a child most things would be made and repaired by local labour. Today nearly all manufactured goods are imported at prices where replacement is often more economic than local repairs. In the UK we are reaching a stage were replacing a cylinder is becoming almost as cost effective as inspecting and refurbishing is out of the question. I recently paid my LDS £40 to fit a replacment neoprene dry suit neck seal. It's not good value when I can buy a new imported semi-dry wet suit for £100. Local regulator servicing is also becoming uneconomic. I was looking at some Coltri Sub regs for sale recently, I couldn't help thinking, it seems possible I could buy a new one nearly as cheap through the internet, than it would cost to get one serviced.

Central Fla:
I have read posts for a long time and don't remember writing much, I haven't had a tremendous number of dives but I am getting my gear together piece by piece and I am down to the regulator. I have studied, read, watched, listened and everything else trying to learn which regulator is right for me.

I continously hear shops and manufactureres exclaim, don't buy over the internet!!! The price quoted on this one reg on ebay right now (GT3 & CDx5 with enviro kit) for $189 new. I can't stop looking at it. How do I not look at something like this? My question is, if they are not suppose to sell it, how do they get it, do the manufacturers still sell to them?

This is not meant to anger anyone, I am just saying that if I can purchase this minus the warranty because I bought it at the wrong place, I feel it to be a possible candidate. The feedback on this particular entity is perfect, I am inclined to think that it is not going to come apart and fall into my lungs on the first dive, but then again, if it isn't a real, new, Oceanic GT3 it just might do that. They do state that they "open the box to inspect before shipping".

So there is my problem, I just can't help but to consider that reg at that price. Looks like a GT3, what else could it be, a fake copy, broken, maybe a returned item ?

Thank you for your help.
Central Fla

There was a Recent Article in Rodale's about a (new) diver who bought a (presumably)Grey-market reg over the internet, put it together himself (octo and spg) and immediately took it to 120ft, where the 1st stage had multiple failures, and the diver did an UCESA. It turned out alright, but what he didn't know almost killed him.

Whenever I get a reg back from service, or a new reg, I take it on an easy first dive. My Zeagle (and my Sea Elite) were assembled by the Internet retailer and tested before they were sent out. I still didn't trust them until I dove them. Things happen when a reg sits around. Be especially vigilant on the first dive, have your buddy look for air leaks while shallow, stress it out in all positions before you go past 2ATA. Get familiar and comfortable with it. Have an experienced buddy with you in case something happens.

If you bought your regulator from an online dealer then send it back to them for your warranty service. Most of them claim to "match" the manufacturers warranty. If you bought your reg from leisurepro, don't bring it into your LDS and expect to get your free parts warranty. That's ridiculous! We will service it, but not under warranty.

Question for OCEANIC here.

So we've found out that www.scubadiscounters.com is really Dolphin Scuba Center in Sacramento operating under a different name.

Scubadiscounters.com has the Oceanic GT3 CDX5 as a "Great Price" on their Ebay site for $189
http://cgi.ebay.com/Oceanic-GT3-CDX...ryZ16056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They also have it on their Scubadiscounters.com website for $239. Again a very good price http://www.scubadiscounters.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1156

That's even cheaper than Leisure Pro who has it for $239
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...DescSort_0/Filter_1=438/OCNGT3CDX5.html?Hit=1

So Oceanic knows they are operating under a differnet name. No big deal...

But how does this dealer advertising below "Minimum Advertised Pricing" as a "unkown dealer" (operaing under a different name) affect things? (the sale, warranty, etc.)

just curious...

mike_s:
Question for OCEANIC here.

So we've found out that www.scubadiscounters.com is really Dolphin Scuba Center in Sacramento operating under a different name.

Scubadiscounters.com has the Oceanic GT3 CDX5 as a "Great Price" on their Ebay site for $189
http://cgi.ebay.com/Oceanic-GT3-CDX...ryZ16056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They also have it on their Scubadiscounters.com website for $239. Again a very good price http://www.scubadiscounters.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1156

That's even cheaper than Leisure Pro who has it for $239
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...DescSort_0/Filter_1=438/OCNGT3CDX5.html?Hit=1

So Oceanic knows they are operating under a differnet name. No big deal...

But how does this dealer advertising below "Minimum Advertised Pricing" as a "unkown dealer" (operaing under a different name) affect things? (the sale, warranty, etc.)

just curious...

That product isn't below MAP because it is discontinued. That being said there is an issue here that we are working out.

Honestly it is between the dealer and us. I understand your concerns regarding warranty and consumer protection. That is our concern here as well, which is why dealers are not permitted to sell our products under a different name than the one they use as a dealer.

LeisurePro is a different kettle of fish....

Thanks Chris.

I was just curious because the scuba industry (manufacturers and dealers) operate in such "unique ways".

cerich:
That product isn't below MAP because it is discontinued. That being said there is an issue here that we are working out.

Honestly it is between the dealer and us. I understand your concerns regarding warranty and consumer protection. That is our concern here as well, which is why dealers are not permitted to sell our products under a different name than the one they use as a dealer.

LeisurePro is a different kettle of fish....

Yeah. But just think how PO'd their $239 customers will be when they realize they were selling to others for $189. These guy have good reason to try to hide who they are.:light:

The real shame is all they really had to do was offer it on ebay with BIN of $239 and a starting bid of $189. Do you think they just didn't think this one thru or is it just more fun F$%&^ the customers?

Back
Top Bottom