Line skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Spools and reels can be used however you want. There's no law against using a spool for laying down primary line. Generally, though, large reels have a lot of line and are used for primary navigation lines. Small reels or spools can be used for backup (emergency). But as I said, if I'm in an emergency I don't want to have to worry about a jammed reel or a reel that falls apart (had it happen once).

2. You don't need tie off with a spool just because you're practicing.

3. I have thigh pockets sewn to my drysuit and glued to my wetsuit.

4. Each cavern/cave is different. Many of the more popular caverns have a permanent cavern lines established that circle the cavern. You'll need to run a guideline from open water to the cavern guideline. (A permanent line from open water to the caven line would encourage open-water divers to enter the cavern.)

5. The velcro idea is interesting but is not part of the current dogma of cavern/cave diving. Considered a gear solution to a skills problem.

The red reel shown above jams too easily for my taste. mine is relegated to dive flag float duty.

5. The velcro idea is interesting but is not part of the current dogma of cavern/cave diving. Considered a gear solution to a skills problem.

Could you explain this further? Do you mean in general people should have their lights in their hands, not affixed to things like a goodman handle?

The red reel shown above jams too easily for my taste. mine is relegated to dive flag float duty.

I haven't found it much of problem (only jammed it once when blacked out, buddy has a few times as well) but I agree that there are other reels that are less likely to jam.

reels are easier to reel up. spooling up 150' of line is a lot more work than reeling in 150' of line. if you've got more than around 50' of line or so to put down on a primary, jump or gap then a reel will make things easier.

ITD, I second the recommendation for a side handle reel, like the Salvo or Halcyon ones. I have the latter (simply because I bought it used, and got a good price on it) and my husband has the former.

I commend your desire to do some land drills or even play with line in the water some before your class. I did the same thing -- but I did find somebody who was trained to show me how to put ties in correctly, so I didn't build a bunch of bad habits.

There are two good articles on guideline procedures in the Quest Magazine, if you are a GUE member. They were written by the guys in Mexico.

Be prepared -- line is EVIL stuff, and you almost certainly will bird's nest a reel when you start. I recommend spending some time playing with the thing on land (we turned our front yard into a big spiderweb) before you take it in the water.

Cave divers generally use some kind of Goodman handle for this reason -- sometimes you just need to be able to use both hands.

People who don't use pockets clip their spools to their left hip D-ring or to their butt d-ring, and their markers sometimes to their chest d-rings. I use pockets, because you reduce the risk of losing something that way.

Most "tourist" caves have permanently installed guidelines, but they are not brought out to open water, in order not to make the cave too attractive to the untrained. So a cave diver ties a line off in open water, and then runs his own line to the permanent guideline and ties it in there. That can be a very short distance, or it can run out the contents of a 400 foot reel, as Carwash used to. Spools are used for jumps, which are shorter distances. You will find that winding a bunch of line back on a spool is a pain.

Could you explain this further? Do you mean in general people should have their lights in their hands, not affixed to things like a goodman handle?

I haven't found it much of problem (only jammed it once when blacked out, buddy has a few times as well) but I agree that there are other reels that are less likely to jam.

I mean that lights are not attached to the forearm by velcro, most people carry thier lights in their hand via Goodman handle.

You reel doesn't jam because I'm not the one operating it! :D

I mean that lights are not attached to the forearm by velcro, most people carry thier lights in their hand via Goodman handle.

Oh I see :) Sorry, I got confused.

You reel doesn't jam because I'm not the one operating it! :D

I think my reel doesn't jam that often as I run line and reel back in at the pace of a snail... :wink:

IMO, once you have identified an instructor, you should contact your instructor and ask for advice.

I did that, and found that my instructor was generally wiling to work with whatever I wanted, but he had specific requirements for lengths for each purpose. Laying a primary line with a spool would have been a problem because of the required length, so I got a primary reel and practiced using it before class. I was thus familiar with its operation ahead of time. I chose a Ralph Hood/Larry Green reel, which, like the Halcyon and Salvos, is a sidewinder style.

Although I was familiar with how the reel worked and the basic idea of laying line from other tech classes, in reality my instructor gave me all the instruction I needed on the spot. What was more important was my ability to maintain my buoyancy during the operation. Going into the training, I would practice that more than anything.

I think I'd just add what may be obvious: When reeling out, the line guide (that little slot it's running through) should be facing back (the way you are coming from). When reeling in, it should be facing forwards (the way you are going). Otherwise the line has to wrap around the reel and will no-doubt cause a jam.

Also, when reeling in, you don't want the line to build up in one area; you want it to evenly fill the spool. When it builds up, it will eventually spill over the side, instantly birds nesting. It's easy enough to accomplish. Pivot the reel ever so slightly back and forth as you reel in, so that the line continuously "barber shop poles" around the spool.

I really like the smooth Salvo reels, they must have ball-bearings

Not sure if you're joking, but I'm pretty sure it's just a smooth delrin cylinder rotating on a stainless steel shoulder bolt.

Thanks everyone for chipping in - that's a lot of condensed knowledge and I appreciate it. I hope I'll oneday be able to impart a little to learners too.

My plan then is to get a reel (side handled) and get used to it around the house. Blackwood kindly provided me some short videos discussing tying which I think will also prove useful.

I've no doubt that initially I'll be a natural disaster with it as I'm naturally somewhat clumsy (which is probably why aesthetics attracts me so much) but at least I'll be able to get a little familiar with a line.

It's election night here tonight so I've had to switch some mental power from SB to our future democracy (bummer) and the vain hope the tories won't get in but I will endeavour to absorb the contents of the posts over the next few days and return with any questions. Thanks again for your time in sharing your knowledge.

J

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom