LION Fish in Jupiter!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDad... yep they got a REAL nice set up. I will not go into it as many do not understand Govn't spending but that is a good deal for them. I am all for it. Anyone who will fly 100's of miles into BG land should get all they can...

I remember the crown-of-thorns' roundups in Hawaii that were pretty much useless, except for people getting stuck by them. They were sometimes to clean out worse than sea urchin spines.
I'm not sure what use it would be to just go shooting any stray lionfish except for sport. Plus, sooner of later, someone is going to find out first-hand just what that venon feels like either by mishandling a speared critter or stepping on a carcass-littered dive boat.
But hey, shoot away if that floats your boat.

To kill or not to kill, that is the issue, well here is my two cents: Kill them when you see them. If you want one for your tank, take it, but whatever dont just leave it there. These things reproduce very quickly and before you know it there will be way more of them than you can imagine! If you've been to West End in the past 18 months, their reefs are loaded with these buggars. They will reap havoc on the ecosystem of our reefs if they are let to do so. As it is, the deeper reefs will be in trouble as we, the divers dont access them, but we have to do what we can while we can to erradicate this non indiginous species. If we dont, in a few years everyone will be saying the woulda shoulda's.

No. In a couple of years they'll end up a protected pest like the damn sea cows and they'll bring down the boating and marine repair economy with all the no wake zones. I'm off my soap box now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom