Lion Hunting in Africa vs Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enthusiastically second that. The coconut lionfish at La Perlita is some of the best seafood I have ever eaten anywhere, any time.

Just on principle, I have to tell you for once I totally agree with you! :)

+3 for the coconut lionfish at La Perlita. And the owner and his family could not be nicer people. I will go back there for lunch or dinner every time I am in Cozumel.

I've held off on eating lionfish because of the ciguatera risks, and some of the hits have sounded dreadful, but I've never heard of any in Coz. I guess the water is too clean there. Too bad home test kits don't work. Conferences, Proceedings, Journals, Open Access Journals, SCIRP
You can eat lions in Africa too....evidently just not the ones that bring in tourist dollars. #zebralivesmatter
Or are protected in parks.

I am hoping to get a taste of lion fish while in Roatan.

Wasn't in the park.
He was when he was lured out for ambush.

just heard that they are finding small lionfish in the stomachs of bigger lionfish in the carrib. So, maybe the lionfish pop has stabilized cuz they ran out of the little reef fish they have been dining on for the last 15 yrs....

just heard that they are finding small lionfish in the stomachs of bigger lionfish in the carrib. So, maybe the lionfish pop has stabilized cuz they ran out of the little reef fish they have been dining on for the last 15 yrs....
They have always eaten their own, even in their native waters.

Wasn't in the park.
He was when he was lured out for ambush.

Is that any different than putting a food plot on private land that borders a sanctuary? Or sitting outside a marine protected area and using menhaden chum to bring in the yellowtail snapper and grouper?

It may not be fair chase, but then again neither is any hunting or fishing. Luring animals out of the parks has been going on for years...haven't you watched Madagascar? Its not news. The fact remains that the lion was not killed in the park. Were laws broken? Possibly, but that is on the guide not the client....the client is generally pretty clueless to every law in a foreign country.

You mean dog tastes like grouper?

No, dog tastes like dog.
Most people don’t know it, but dog meat was once a typical dish on Cozumel.

Dog meat.jpg

The Maya raised a breed of small, fat dog called the techichi.

techichi.jpg

They would use these dogs both as sacrificial offerings to the gods as well as simply making a meal of them while the dogs were still less than a year old. Apparently, “young dog is tasty dog.” In 1567 it was reported by the English priest Thomas Gage that “the Indians of Cozumel ate these dogs as the Spanish do rabbits. Those intended for this purpose were castrated in order to fatten them.”

Bishop Diego de Landa tells that dogs were fattened on corn tortillas and often sacrificed to the gods on Cozumel. He describes one such sacrifice: The dog was shot repeatedly with arrows while it was tied to a stake in front of the temple, then the heart of the animal was removed and burned and the blood used to anoint the idol in the temple. The animal was then cooked and shared with the people attending the event. The usual recipe for sacrificial-dog-stew was to slow cook the meat in an olla of water, chili peppers, and corn. The long-bones were removed from the stew and cracked open to remove the marrow as dessert. The archaeological excavations at San Gervasio on Cozumel turned up many fire-baked dog bones, indicating that this was, indeed, the end result of many of these young, domesticated canids.

Although the techichi is now extinct, the larger Xoloitzcuintli hairless breed is still around on the island. I saw a pair running loose near Rancho Buena Vista last year. Here is a shot I took of one of them:

xolo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom