Lionfish Eradication: Recipes, Killing Techniques, and Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I just killed my first lionfish yesterday off a reef at about 60ft in Ft. Lauderdale. Many more to be killed! I had to put bout 5 holes thru him to kill em and he was still twitching around. I used a lionfish killer my brother made me for christmas :banana:
Just wanted to share :D

Edit: Just got pic to work had to upload it to the board

Well done! :thumb:

What are some other uses for dead or alive lion fish other than cooking, studying/education, and spear hunting?

For Debby..
personalized-license-plate-4.jpg

LOVE IT!!!

Jenny, I think you know that I grew up in CA, too. :)

Didn't know that.. or maybe didn't remember?? LOL.

Any information on their healing ability...could they recover from a single spear shot or must you impale it until it is visibly dead? Would some type of scissor be effective at removing the spines, perhaps a small garden pruner? Are there licensing requirements for spear fishing in Florida? I'd love to head down for a "learn and hunt" session this spring.

I have heard that live lionfish have been found with holes through them. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. We used surgical shears to remove the spines.

Impale and then shear spines with scissors has been demonstrated in some videos.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom