lionfish rodeo on utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laurenceh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
yesterdays lionfish rodeo was a big success. 450 kills, all filleted last night into 150lbs of meat. tomorrow is the cook off at tranquilla bar, utila best chefs will be cooking up some great dishes.

YUM!!! I hope you will share a few of the details about how Utila did this safely and without harm to the reef. I've been hoping for more events like this one in our fight for some sort of control over these unwelcome newcomers. I know they can be harvested without any harm and they are quite tasty. Win-Win!!

only divemasters and instructors are allowed to use the slings and hunt the lionfish on utila, the rational being that they will be careful and not harm the reef and they won't use the slings to poach other fish off the reef. bica (bay islands conservation association) sells the slings and many people working in the dive business carry them now. for the rodeo all dive companies and their employees spent the day hunting, taking the day off from teaching.

they really taste good, reminds me a lot of the flavor of himmachi and is even great raw, sashimi style.

You also need a license on Roatan, but I think that also needs to go along with a safety course, aka "Gun's 101 and how to properly spear a Lion Fish"

Back
Top Bottom