Liquid Blue Divers Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTodd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Avoid this dive operation like the plague. I have a more detailed review of recent diving with Living Underwater in Cozumel here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/225395-living-underwater-review.html

On one day I was scheduled with Liquid Blue Divers because there were not enough divers with Living Underwater. While I really enjoy diving and can think of very few occasions where I would say this, I wish I had not even gotten on this boat.

I had been diving 32% nitrox all week and requested it for these dives. The boat showed up with an air tank and 36%. When I said the mix-up was no big deal I just won’t dive today I was told I could use 36% on both dives. Not what I really wanted to do, but I agreed. When we actually got to the dive site I was again given grief about diving 36% on a wall and we had to wait around before we could dive. There were only two paying customers on the boat and an inexperienced local that appeared to be trying to become a DM.

Liquid Blue uses high pressure steel tanks, meaning that a standard K valve which is only rated to 3,000 psi should not be used. They have DIN valves on these tanks but use inserts allowing the use of K valves. Now I am not that much of a stickler but since I had a DIN reg it was annoying to have to argue with the DM to allow me to take out the insert when they tried to force me to use a converter to convert my DIN reg to Yoke.

Liquid Blue Divers bills itself as a premium dive operation. The boat we were on was falling apart and had hull issues. So, while the seas were slightly choppy by Cozumel’s standards, the primary impediment to a fast trip to the southern reefs was the boat itself. As a result, the first dive was on Santa Rosa Wall. This is basically the nearest deep wall to town and it is lame by the standard’s of Cozumel’s reefs. While I can cut some slack for the weather, it would not have been very difficult to go slightly further for a much better site.

When we dropped on the wall the other customer and I ran a 80-90 foot profile. The DM dropped to 140’ for five minutes or so. I don’t have a problem with people that want to dive those depths on air but personally consider it stupid. Because the DM ran a deep profile he came up early from the wall and force the other customer and myself to leave the wall and dive the sand/ small reef after about 15 minutes.

The second dive was in the sand in front of El Presidente. You can do it from shore but it isn’t worth it because there isn’t much there.

My apologies for the long rant, but there is some great diving in Cozumel and plenty of good operators. I didn’t want Liquid Blue Divers to ruin the diving for anyone doing some research before heading down there.

I appreciate your post and thnx for the info but no way do I believe that Santa Rosa is a lame dive no matter the distance to it

I appreciate your post and thnx for the info but no way do I believe that Santa Rosa is a lame dive no matter the distance to it

I agree, and as for the "sand in front of El Presidente", Paradise Reef is just north of the Presidente and it's definitely worth diving.

A little more information would be appreciated. What was the name of the boat (I think the Bonita Luna is a fine boat that has recently had an minor overhaul)?

Who was the DM (Julio, perhaps?)?

Since you don't like LB or LU, who do you intend to use?

Thanks.

David

You're experience was totally contrary to my week of diving with them. Too bad. I'd certainly dive with them again.

My apologies for the long rant, but there is some great diving in Cozumel and plenty of good operators. I didn’t want Liquid Blue Divers to ruin the diving for anyone doing some research before heading down there.

I can only say that your experience with LB (and LU) is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Based on your claims of being a seasoned Cozumel diver, I have to ask since you weren't happy with LB or LU, who do you normally dive with in Coz or rather, who have you dove with in the past? Just curious because if someone is not happy with either of these ops, they're typically not going to be happy with any operator on the island. And furthermore, if you were happy with a previous operator(s), why did you decide to go elsewhere? Or was it that you weren't happy with any of your previous operators either? Just curious.

I can only say that your experience with LB (and LU) is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Based on your claims of being a seasoned Cozumel diver, I have to ask since you weren't happy with LB or LU, who do you normally dive with in Coz or rather, who have you dove with in the past? Just curious because if someone is not happy with either of these ops, they're typically not going to be happy with any operator on the island.

No one can please 100% of the people all the time..........

It seems to me that divers with a high skill level and the abiltiy to really make their air last should think about chartering their own boat. The only way new divers are going to get better at these skills is to work on them and they should not have to apologize for not having mastered the extended bottom times of more advanced divers. We all pay our way and if were low on air we can not choose to stay just because another diver still has air now can we.

Gaffer

I have only been to Cozumel 4 times, pre and post Wilma, and hope to be back many more times. On each of my trips, Santa Rosa Wall has been an enjoyable dive offering up turtles, spotted and green eels, crab, lobster splendid toad and drum fish groupes, angels, and I can't begin to name all of the other critters.

It seems to me that divers with a high skill level and the abiltiy to really make their air last should think about chartering their own boat. The only way new divers are going to get better at these skills is to work on them and they should not have to apologize for not having mastered the extended bottom times of more advanced divers. We all pay our way and if were low on air we can not choose to stay just because another diver still has air now can we.

Gaffer

This is not a problem for most of us. The dive op I use is very good about extending the dive for us who have good air control while looking out for newer divers and sending them up as the run low. The ops that send everyone up as soon as the first diver hits 1000psi rapidly lose the business of the more experienced divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom