Liquivision Lynx Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds great.

So who has tested the real life transmitter battery life?

What is the real life battery life of the receiver ?

Does the buddy location system drain the battery faster ? 1- to 4 uses surely would require "waking up" extra circuits or does it just run flat knacker?

Next tech question - does ot have easily adjustable screen illumination? I played alot with the 9" sony OLEDs and found much to be desired.

User data. Does anyone know if the user data and dive profile is stored as/in volatile memory or non volatile memory?

A Buddy and I are currently in Bonaire diving with two Lynx DC's. We are both running "Buddy" mode and are having a couple of issues - Numerous times we have run into NoSignal for ourselves, our buddy, or both. At one point, my Lynx wouldn't wake up until I removed/replaced the battery and then it came back to life....A couple things I would like to see and a few observations:
1. When the Lynx calculates ATR, it bases "0" on the reserve amount vs. the actual air left (so when your tank pressure hits the set Reserve amount, your DC shows "0"- Today, my Lynx showed "0" when it reached the set Reserve pressure while my OC1 showed 11 mins left. Yes we always want to ensure we have a reserve amount of air in the tank, but don't base calculations on the Reserve Setpoint - my two cents
2. I'm used to the Atomic Cobalt, so I would actually like to see the screen be even brighter (Now limited to Low and Medium)

I look forward to future iterations of the software :)

So far....still a potential 5 Star DC

Reading through this thread, it seems like the Lynx is an outstanding computer. I'm strongly considering purchasing the Kaon because of its gas switching capabilities (but without being a trimix computer). However, the one thing I'm not seeing is anything about the durability and reliability of the unit. What is the battery life like? Can I drop it or, god forbid, have a tank land on it and have it still function?

AWIZRD:

Have you guys tried finding each other by locator yet? I know with Bonaire's viz. You can usually see each other easily anyway, but I'd like to know just how easy it is to get a heading on your buddy.

It sounds great.
So who has tested the real life transmitter battery life?
What is the real life battery life of the receiver ?
Does the buddy location system drain the battery faster ? 1- to 4 uses surely would require "waking up" extra circuits or does it just run flat knacker?
Next tech question - does ot have easily adjustable screen illumination? I played alot with the 9" sony OLEDs and found much to be desired.
User data. Does anyone know if the user data and dive profile is stored as/in volatile memory or non volatile memory?

Battery life estimates are in the user manual.
Diving the Lynx with air integration off gives the longest battery life. Solo mode on the wrist unit gives next longest battery life; buddy/group-4/group-9 modes give shorter battery life.
There are two brightness levels on the display.
The Lynx, like our other products, has a large non-volatile flash memory which stores all settings, dive logs, etc...

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Hi Eric,

Is it true that the Lynx will not be available in Europe till autumn ?

rgds
Serge

CE certification should be complete in late July, after which we can ship to European dealers and distributors. In the meantime, if you are extremely impatient, it is still possible to order a Lynx from a non-European dealer and have them ship it to you.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

A Buddy and I are currently in Bonaire diving with two Lynx DC's. We are both running "Buddy" mode and are having a couple of issues - Numerous times we have run into NoSignal for ourselves, our buddy, or both. At one point, my Lynx wouldn't wake up until I removed/replaced the battery and then it came back to life....A couple things I would like to see and a few observations:
1. When the Lynx calculates ATR, it bases "0" on the reserve amount vs. the actual air left (so when your tank pressure hits the set Reserve amount, your DC shows "0"- Today, my Lynx showed "0" when it reached the set Reserve pressure while my OC1 showed 11 mins left. Yes we always want to ensure we have a reserve amount of air in the tank, but don't base calculations on the Reserve Setpoint - my two cents
2. I'm used to the Atomic Cobalt, so I would actually like to see the screen be even brighter (Now limited to Low and Medium)

I look forward to future iterations of the software :)

So far....still a potential 5 Star DC

I don't get your point about ATR and reserve volume. By definition when tank pressure equals reserve volume that gives a ATR of zero, otherwise what's the point of setting a reserve volume? To understand why there is a difference on air times between two computers you have to know how the air time is defined.

For example in my Galileo Sol the air time is called remaining bottom time RBT and takes into account gas used in the ascent at the prescribed rate and all the stops including safety stops, which of course will be much less than a computer that only works out requirements at depth.

The air time calculation in the Lynx is how much time you have left until 700 PSI. And, the 700 PSI value cannot be changed. Normally our computers are extremely flexible, but in this case, allowing customers to change the 'end point' of the air time calculation creates huge risks; not only could it be inadvertently changed (someone who changes this value without truly understanding what it is), but it means different Lynx computers will give have different meanings underwater (or you borrow a buddy's computer and have a wrong expectation of what the air time means). Due to the group-air monitoring functions Lynx computers may also be used in group settings (with students, tourists), and in this case it is important that everyone's computer have the same definition of air time. When the Lynx air time reaches 0, you have 700 PSI, which is enough to complete your ascent assuming you did not incur a huge deco obligation. In the manual we make it clear that if you plan on deco, you should use your raw tank pressure to determine when to start your ascent.

We also believe that allowing the computer to try to calculate how much air your actual ascent (& stops) will take is immensely complicated and this could create 'bugs' which may never be detected until it is too late. We believe in simplicity as a type of reliability. This is how we came to the current implementation.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Back
Top Bottom