Little Cayman in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone done Cayman in January? We did the Cayman Aggressor a few years ago in March and thought the diving was great, so are thinking of the Little Cayman Beach Resort for next January, but are wondering what the conditions are like this time of year. Thoughts or experiences?

We went several years ago and stayed at Southern Cross. The diving and resort were very good.

January is a time when there could be very rough conditions on the north side of Little Cayman. The big draw on LC is the Bloody Bay Marine Park and Jackson's Bight on the north side of the island. When those are too rough to dive safely or comfortably, the sites on the south side are fine, but are not much different than what you would see on Grand Cayman or a half dozen other places in the Caribbean. The next question is "how often are conditions like that". A good source is to go read the Cayman Aggressor's logs for weeks in past Januaries and see which weeks they skipped the crossing to LC and CB. That is a good gauge on how often the conditions were not suitable for them to dive the north side of LC, since that is where they typically moor if they come across.

With that said, somebody will come along now and tell you that they had a fabulous trip to LC X years ago in January and that the conditions were marvelous. That may be entirely correct as well. There will be days and weeks at a time when conditions are in fact perfect in January, but from mid-October through February, there will also be days and weeks at a time when they can't dive the north side of the island at all. If you are just looking for a great vacation, by all means go. But if you are going specifically to dive the Bloody Bay Wall, winter is not the time I year I would choose to maximize my chances of diving it all week long.

Generally the east or windward side of Caribbean Islands can be greatly affected by winter winds. Will Mother Nature play nice when you are there? Only someone with an incredible crystal ball can tell you honestly

Thanks, all. The Caribbean in January is a roll of the weather dice, for sure. But we've decided to go (had just a few more days to lock in 2019 rates) and will hope we get out to Bloody Bay Wall at least some some days. Maybe being just 30 minutes away will mean we will need a much smaller window (like a morning or afternoon) of good conditions compared to what I imagine the Aggressor needs to make the crossing. When we were on the Cayman Aggressor we had a week of flat calm weather. I won't expect to get that lucky again. In any case, coming from Buffalo, NY we will be content as long as there is some diving, sun, warmth, and a good book in a hammock in January.

Turns out we'll be there the week just before the ScubaBoard Surge--in part because you people have the next week fully booked!

I am sure you will have a great time! You are correct that the Aggressor has to look at the whole week and plan to not go if conditions will likely be too rough for more than a day or two. While you have a pretty good chance of having a day or two of rough weather in any given week during the winter, actually having a solid week of bad conditions is typically fairly rare, but it does happen from time to time.

ScubaBoard's Surge will be in Cayman Brac in January 2020: ScubaBoard Surge 2020 Little Cayman Package Deal

We were in Little Cayman in January a few years ago. It was too rough for a partially torn Achilles tendon I had, but most everyone else dove. I'm hoping to get in the water this year, when we're in Caman Brac.

@cardzard @ROXANNE

ScubaBoard's Surge will be in Cayman Brac in January 2020: ScubaBoard Surge 2020 Little Cayman Package Deal

We were in Little Cayman in January a few years ago. It was too rough for a partially torn Achilles tendon I had, but most everyone else dove. I'm hoping to get in the water this year, when we're in Caman Brac.

@cardzard @ROXANNE

That link is for LC in January 2020 not CB; I think that you've got your Sisters mixed up (Sister Islands, I mean!)

Perhaps a bit off topic but I just got the dive waivers for a group trip with a few of my regular buddies and @BDSC 's large group in August with Little Cayman Reef Resort and their house Dive Op. @BDSC runs some great dive trips at significant savings just about everywhere. Last May my girlfriend and I joined him and his regular group on the Belize Aggressor 4 and we're looking forward to seeing many of them in 2 short months, but I digress.

Reef Divers of Little Cayman Reef Resort:

1- Require that you check a box that says you agree only to dive with a buddy.. so much for solo certification?
2- You must check a box that says you will not dive below 110'.
3- No gloves. I get it, we don't anyone touching coral but there's a couple of wrecks and sometimes those downlines have crap on them including firecorals and even fish hooks.
4- They ask for dive insurance on the waiver- not clear if it's required, I have an email out to them.

Back
Top Bottom