Little Cayman trip report-Southern Cross

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This was our second visit and Southern Cross just keeps getting better. Everything was perfect the entire trip.

Check in was a breeze, they had sent the diving forms which we had already completed so entire process took maybe 2 minutes. We arrived at 7 am so we could have breakfast before our first dive. After eating we went up front to get our dive gear out of our luggage but it wasn't there-our room was already ready so they had taken it to the room for us. Little things like this is what sets Southern Cross so much better than anyone else.

The Staff: Exceptional is the best way to describe each and every one. I am terrible with names so I won't try to list everyone in fear that I will forget someone! Everyone was focused on making our stay perfect. We never heard the word 'no'. Anything we wanted or requested was immediately taken care of. Real smiles from everyone and can do attitudes; there was no turnover from our previous trip and that alone speaks volumes about the vetting process and quality of management.

Food: Most all inclusive resorts have at best mediocre food but not here. Breakfast-fresh fruits, juices, eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles/pancakes if you didn't see what you wanted just ask and they would make it. Lunch-some of the most delicious soups I have ever had, it varied every day but always included a fresh made to order salad. Dinner-several choices were offered at lunch for you to choose from and everything we chose was just plain fabulous. One night I made the comment when ordering that both options sounded so great I didn't know what to chose. So they suggested I just get them both :). Desert-yummy yummy yummy. With the difficulty getting food on the island I was blown away by the quality and variety of their offerings. I gained weight on this trip

Diving- this is the reason most people go to Little Cayman and every dive was amazing. Dive staff was hands down the most professional and knowledgeable we have ever encountered. Great dive briefing with hand drawn maps of the dive plan. You got to dive your tank (no time limit), if you wanted a guided tour just stay near the dive master, if you wanted to do your own thing that was fine also (dive master still expected you to follow the plan and stay in sight but with 100 ft visibility that was no problem). We are into photography and took over 1600 pics and videos; we partnered up with another couple that were into taking pictures and we kept calling the other over to show what we had found. The diversity and health of the reef is unsurpassed in the Caribbean. We dove Bloody Bay and Jacksons every dive-even the night dive, Water was glass smooth and visibility was exceptional. If you haven't dove Little Cayman you are missing out. Valet diving is so effortless and enjoyable.

Weather-HOT but then this is the trade off for better diving. We had gone in Dec. before and it was cooler but it was so windy we had to dive on the south side most of the time. The beach itself is powder soft but swimming is not possible with all the turtle grass. Swimming pool is small but was fine for us.

Rooms-this is not your typical hotel room. We stayed in one of the deluxe bungalows, there are windows on every wall so it was very bright and inviting. Bed as fabulous. Outdoor showers :) (there is an indoor option that we never used). The view from the bed and porch defies belief. 50 feet from the ocean-it just can't get any better than that. AC was cold, refrigerator and Expresso machine, couch, and day bed. Cleaned everyday while we were out diving.

Southern Cross is our favorite vacation location. It is small and very romantic. It is not your typical dive resort. We seldom go to the same place more than once but Southern Cross will be a yearly event for us!

I want to thank each and every staff member for making this a slice of heaven. You make the resort one we talk about for months and months after we return.

Bill

WOW! Sounds you had an epic trip. Makes me want to put in for a little vacation time!

...if you wanted to do your own thing that was fine also (dive master still expected you to follow the plan and stay in sight but with 100 ft visibility that was no problem).

I love Little Cayman diving. Sounds like you had a great trip. Is it actually SC's policy that you have to stay within sight of the DM?

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Thanks for the report; we are looking forward to spending time on LC in November. What is included in the valet diving services at SC?

Sounds like a great dive holiday! We are with you on not going back to the same place and trying new places, except for SCC. We will be back for 2 weeks in November and your report has gotten us even more excited. Than you!

Thnx for the report , pix?

No there is no rule to stay in sight, Mike (dive master) did want the less experienced divers to stay near by but our group of 4 have much experience and had previously proved ourselves safe divers. We dove our tanks and few dives lasted less than a full hour (off gassing on a reef is so much better than just floating). We were not rude divers but most times we were first off, last back in and this was fine with the other divers (yes we did ask if they minded). Longest dive was 82 min. They took out two boats maximum number of divers were 8, boats were set up based on experience. We headed out on our own following profile from dive plan

We did 3 tanks a day and one night dive, free nitrox of course made this easy. 22 dives in total. Night dive was incredible.

Valet diving-once your gear was on the boat you didn't need to touch it except to put it on (unless you wanted to), cleaned and returned after each trip, you had same seat each time. All I carried to the boat was my dive camera. You could gear up and duck walk to back of boat or they would assist you at exit area, you could exit in gear or they were at the ladder to assist in removal. Everyone had a full kit so can't comment on the quality of their rental gear. Boats were new and very well maintained, short ride to dive site. They welcomed suggestions for dive sites-Mixing bowl and East wall were our favorites and we did them twice (both on our last day since), well, it was our last day. Water temps so warm dove in a bathing suit, didn't even want a rash guard

I have loads and loads of pics that I would gladly share but I am computer challenged, after loading pics from our Bonaire trip it says my account is full-any suggestions?

SCC is not as cheap as LCBR, it does cast a few bucks more. We have been to a great many dive resorts similar to LCBR but the top notch quality, in food and resort size, fits us desire for a vacation (taking a shower 50 ft from the water is heaven). We caught a special so that made it even better. Yes most here dive LCBR and for a group this is probably the place to go, SCC is not marketed toward this, a group of size could easily take over the entire resort (which I am sure they would have no problem with :) )

B

Have not dived with Southern Cross for a number of years so cannot comment on current set up. At LCBR, I have never been compelled to follow the DM or dive with the group. Some sites like Great Wall East and West, preclude doing anything else, but at the Jackson's sites, there is too much terrain for the divers to stay within view, and the DMs were happy for buddy pairs to do their own thing if they wanted to.
I have been diving at LCBR for years, so many of the DMs know me but I'm pretty sure they allow the same latitude to newbies after they have watched them dive a few times.
I'm sure that one of the reasons the DMs ask divers to set up their gear on day one is to see if they can.

The general rule is that if you are diving independently and want to have a long dive, go in early, but still come up at about the same time as everyone else. Easy to figure out as everyone is under the boat ( or should be ) in the last 10 minutes of the dive. I think it is inconsiderate to stay down for 80-90 minutes on a planned 60 minute dive. Makes it difficult for the boat to get to the best second mooring or if on second dive, late for lunch.

I don't have a problem with other divers staying for an extra 5-10, but when it pushes 20-30 and happens repeatedly, I get a bit cranky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom