Little girls and makeup

Am I an old fuddy duddy?

• Yes, get with it.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • No more than I am.

Votes: 104 86.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ:
I'll try not to take that personally, as I do everything I can to protect my children... but on the list of dangers in this world... make up would be about the bottom of my list.:deadhorse:

Hi AmyJ,

There are many dangers, but this is one that you can minimize.

:coffee:

!
AmyJ:
I'll try not to take that personally, as I do everything I can to protect my children... but on the list of dangers in this world... make up would be about the bottom of my list

Can you imagine if had been your 3 year old daughter who came home with her face painted only to have a severe allergic reaction to whatever had been applied to her skin. Maybe an allergic reaction that left her with inflamed skin keeping both her and you up all night.. Even better yet, maybe a reaction so severe that it scars her little face.

It sounds ridicules and highly unlikely, but I would rather not have someone take that kind of a chance with one of my kids without my permission.

My kids are older now and anytime the teachers are going to have parties or special events in their classrooms, the teachers always send home permission slips. It's a safety thing. Could you imagine the stink in the air if a teacher had given the child peanuts without knowing if the child was allergic or not (no permission from a parent or the parents knowledge) and the child dying over something so innocent.

This more about the teacher and her ethics. What right do people have with other peoples children? There has to be boundaries set in place for even the simplest of things so our children stay safe when stakes are higher.

I remember the first time I ever watched Hermit Crab and Xavier so Jenny could take Kris on her first night dive.. I asked a billion questions like, can they eat this or that, are they allowed to watch whatever. Had I not asked, I (who thought a particular kids show was fine) would have ended up allowing one of the kids to watch a show their mothers stronger disliked and disapproved of their child watching it. We're all allowed to have different opinions in this world, we all raise are children the way we see fit, but I certainly had no right to expose that child to a show their mother had never permitted them to watch before just because my beliefs were different.

And Jenny, believe it or not, they DO still sell those fake cigarettes... insane eh?

the teachers always send home permission slips.
omg, they almost killed me with all those. "can he ride in the front seat, the back seat, etc"

Fake cigarettes still out there? wow.

I always liked those, myself. I never smoked anything but the candy ones. I loved smoking those, there are so many ways to be dramatic...Betty Davis, Early Madonna...

Tonka, do you really think make-up causes cancer? Cause I doubt it, otherwise we would all have it, and it wouldn't be squamous cell from the sun. In fact, I think most make-up probably offers some cancer protection since it all has sunscreen nowadays.

Ok... I was just going to let that go... (edited to add, this is in reply to baitedstorm... catherine posted while I was still typing!) :) but one more comment, then I'm out of here. Of course that can happen. And it's unfortunate. But let's get real... do I examine every crayon, pencil, glue stick, fingerpaint, construction paper, snack, cup, paint apron, desk, chair, scissors, yarn, etc. etc. that my kids touch at school. OH PLEASE! call me a negligent parent, but I don't. Is there the possibility one of them could have a fatal reaction to something in the above list... yep, it's possible. If they have a problem with something (allergic reaction) that I know about then I would obviously notify the school and expect them to comply with my request... but .......I can see this is not going anywhere.... back to dreaming about life underwater.

Catherine,
Would you share your makeup with 15 other women...mascara, eyeliner, lipstick, brushing on powder, etc.
What about 3 year old toddlers doing this?

There are MANY problem chemicals in women's makeup, including formaldehyde and various solvents in some.

Do you think that the ingredients in the makeup used on those toddlers were listed on the bottles, and if they were listed (not), do you believe that the daycare workers and volunteers read and evaluated the chemicals?

Do you think that the daycare workers knew the various sensitivities of the toddler's skin, and the potential for dermatitis and damage?

Do you think they really gave a d**N??:confused:

On my daughters thirteenth birthday, I was driving her to school and asked her how she was feeling about entering this new phase of her young life. She responded very calmly by saying, “Dad, all I know is you better buckle your seatbelt because the teenage years are going to be a very bumpy ride.” She was right. She morphed into someone I could hardly recognize. Now that she’s 28, married to a wonderful man, has a son of her own and runs a thriving at-home business, I think her teenage years were fun. Hard on me, but good for her.

Dave

Teamcasa:
...I think her teenage years were fun. Hard on me, but good for her.

Dave

Dave,
I've known this for the past 20 years, as I've taught OTHER PEOPLE'S teenagers. I forgot that my own would be there, too, some day!! (and still one more to go!:( )

k4man:
Dave,
I've known this for the past 20 years, as I've taught OTHER PEOPLE'S teenagers. I forgot that my own would be there, too, some day!! (and still one more to go!:( )

Boys are definitely easier than girls! Way less stressful.

Dave

I have a 2.5 year old in childcare and a 3-month old at home, just starting to spend time away with a nanny (no room for him at school yet). This is the 2nd childcare location that the eldest has been in, and about the 150th we investigated before placing him in someone else's hands. We LOVE this place. He learns a TON of good stuff, not the least of which is socialization with peers and adults.

Simple fact - I had to supply my own sunscreen for Alex, AND provide written permission for it to be applied to him. This applies to every child at the school, not just Alex, who suffered mild Eczema when he was younger.

Do other childcare providers (other areas of the country/world?) not require this? I'm in Connecticut.

Good Discussion...
Scuba-sass :)

rookers:
I always thought putting makeup on little girls was creepy. Same with the little girl beauty pageants.
I don't have much (any) experience with little girl beauty pageants, but I just saw "Little Miss Sunshine". It was a great movie, and very funny, but the pageant girls made me feel distinctly uncomfortable. There's "little girls having fun with makeup" makeup, and there's "little girls being painted to look like miniature sex objects" makeup. I'm totally fine with the former, and equally disgusted by the latter.

Back
Top Bottom