little jerk kids in kayaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes the kids scream. Yes you can hear them underwater... they scream things like "HELP!" or "SHARK!". The especially jerk-face kids follow you around so close your fins touch their kayaks, or your dive flag gets looped in their paddles.
What are you doing "diving" that close to the surface? Please tell us how old you are and how old these kids are?

What are you doing "diving" that close to the surface?

According to the first post, this is what he's doing, and perhaps why he can hear it better than a diver at depth:
"I snorkel a lot off the beaches between West Palm and Lauderdale.."

According to the first post, this is what he's doing, and perhaps why he can hear it better than a diver at depth:
"I snorkel a lot off the beaches between West Palm and Lauderdale.."

You're right, I hadn't read that post since yesterday. I still wonder how old the kids are and how many times this has happened. I also wonder if he asked them to quit.

It's off the Delray Wreck. There is a kayak rental outfit right on the beach directly in front of it.

Yes the kids scream. Yes you can hear them underwater... they scream things like "HELP!" or "SHARK!". The especially jerk-face kids follow you around so close your fins touch their kayaks, or your dive flag gets looped in their paddles.

I cannot wait for school to start back up.

Kayaks can be tippy. I would not be inclined to exercise any care whatsoever, as to where I was coming up ( dive flag afterall) , and if they were as close as you say, I am pretty sure I could have some nice tip creating impacts within a few minutes of their close proximity ....this actually sound like fun, I wish I could do this off of Palm Beach :D

It's off the Delray Wreck. There is a kayak rental outfit right on the beach directly in front of it.
Well then, just don't dive from that beach. Problem solved. :thumb:

Custom SMB that says, "STAY THE **** AWAY"

You can pop it up as needed

Archman, I want to follow up by saying that I do understand that you shouldn't be harassed by kayakers (of any age). If they are kids though, maybe a solemn adult toned talking to would do the trick...you don't have to make them cry or anything, just tell them that you laughed the first time they said shark, but it's really not a good idea to alert folks when danger isn't actually there and that they should act responsible when on the water... It may work.

Have you spoken with the kayak rental company about this? Maybe they could intervene and have a word with the li'l darlings.

I still trying to get my brain around that a diver is whining about kids in kayaks yelling "shark". "They're mean....Make them go away!!"

I had a problem with an aircraft carrier getting a little too close to where I was diving so I set off a small device to discourage them from sticking around. Worked like a charm. It also cleans out any lionfish in the immediate area.
bomb test.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom