little jerk kids in kayaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assist them in doing a skill check. Capsize them and let them test out their paddle float re-entry skills, they'll avoid dive flags from then on. :cool2:

Reactions: Jax
Kayakers are a frequent presence right inside our dive park on Catalina! Although they are human rather than engine driven, an unexpected impact from them can hurt (I know). I try to be reasonably nice when I see them in the park and say PLEASE take your kayaks outside the dive park and Thank you if they start heading out. With the power boats and outboard powered dinghies I'm not so nice. We had one drunken bozo in a power boat drive right over the dive park boundary line and head in towards the stairs. Limpet mines are an effective solution for this, and yield a brand new wreck inside the park (if one can tolerate the pollution from a wreck that was not environmentally prepped before sinking.

Based in experience, I can paddle my kayak about 3mph...I wonder how fast a powered boat is going when they are idling?

I'm chuckling at this, are you saying that there are roving gangs of badass young paddlers terrorizing beach divers off South Florida now? I only left SoFla two months ago, and I never saw that when I was a frequent beach and kayak diver there. If this is just at one beach, it's easy-peasy...don't dive there. If it's a common occurrence all up and down the coast, well, I'm just scratching my head wondering why this is suddenly happening.

Are they little kids (without adult supervision :shocked2:) or teens or what? And are they screaming at you on the surface, or can you hear them from depth? And just what are they saying to you as they scream?

I sure wish I had some video of this.

I realize a lot of what was said was in jest...but I'd bet the marine patrol would have a much bigger issue with an adult screwing with a kids boat than they would about a kid being too close to a dive flag in an unpowered kayak. If it were my kid, the police would be involved...because you would need to call them at that point.

I find that filling a beer bottle I found on the bottom half full of air and letting it go works pretty well. Like a rising torpedo....

I stand by my previous answer but have to admit the awesomeness of this option :thumb:

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. . . We had one drunken bozo in a power boat drive right over the dive park boundary line and head in towards the stairs. . . .

I had an incident with one of those bozos, too. I don't think he was drunk, just a felony stupid tourist with a rented powerboat. It took a bit for him to understand that he was in the wrong place. You'd think that the floats with dive flags and the chains surrounding the dive part would have been clues.

I'm with Jim on the idea of remote detonated claymores.

I'm chuckling at this, are you saying that there are roving gangs of badass young paddlers terrorizing beach divers off South Florida now? I only left SoFla two months ago, and I never saw that when I was a frequent beach and kayak diver there. If this is just at one beach, it's easy-peasy...don't dive there. If it's a common occurrence all up and down the coast, well, I'm just scratching my head wondering why this is suddenly happening.

Are they little kids (without adult supervision :shocked2:) or teens or what? And are they screaming at you on the surface, or can you hear them from depth? And just what are they saying to you as they scream?

It's off the Delray Wreck. There is a kayak rental outfit right on the beach directly in front of it.

Yes the kids scream. Yes you can hear them underwater... they scream things like "HELP!" or "SHARK!". The especially jerk-face kids follow you around so close your fins touch their kayaks, or your dive flag gets looped in their paddles.

I cannot wait for school to start back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom