Live Damn You!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what happened when you have too much rubber paint markers and time on hand.

SBIPVDEC200901.jpg

SBIPVDEC200902.jpg

SBIPVDEC200903.jpg

Saw this image on another thread. I figured it was the perfect picture for the official snorkle fighting course.

sparta.jpg
sparta.jpg

Wow, the background is a real, authentic BOG SNORKELING run, isn't it?!? That is the very epitome of dorkness, wouldn't you say? (It's right up there with cheese rolling, but more wet and less injurious.)

(In other wet/dry news, I'm now 16/19 through installing new water pipes, 2/5 through new faucets, 10/13 through water valves (not counting the manifold, which is up), 1/2 through toilets (they lost one in shipping, go figure), and 0/1 in gas/vent piping and new sinks. When I finish and have gas service... um... PARTY AT CJ'S PLACE! :biggrin:)

Note: My math is probably off, but hey, I've been plumbing!

Note: My math is probably off, but hey, I've been plumbing!
There's no math in plumbing, only two ways a plumber does a job. Triangulation -n- trimulation or cut to size, beat to fit and paint to match.
Which one is it?

There's no math in plumbing, only two ways a plumber does a job. Triangulation -n- trimulation or cut to size, beat to fit and paint to match.
Which one is it?
Ah, the wonders of PEX. Run the PEX just like you'd run cable, expand the end, slide it on to the fitting, and tack everything in place all the way back to the manifold. :D

(Of course, the showers and a few other bits are requisitely in copper, which brings to mind Cathy Rodgers' definition of "bodge": "fitting a square peg in a round hole with sheer brute force and ignorance.")

I love PEX. Only way to do plumbing renos. One point of correction there CJ, You dont need copper. Just grab a hose to whatever fitting and crimp. I installed a new shower and used hose to NPT (National Pipe Thread) for the valve, and hose to copper crimp where I cut the existing pipes. 1 year leak free.

Which one is it?

I was taught by a friend of mine that plumbing only requires four basic pieces of knowledge...

1. Hot's on the left
2. Cold's on the right
3. Sh#$ don't run up hill
4. Don't stick your fingers in your mouth (see #3)

I love PEX. Only way to do plumbing renos. One point of correction there CJ, You dont need copper. Just grab a hose to whatever fitting and crimp. I installed a new shower and used hose to NPT (National Pipe Thread) for the valve, and hose to copper crimp where I cut the existing pipes. 1 year leak free.
Doing the bath/shower stuff in copper just makes it more durable, as you're not putting any intermittent stresses or torsional loads on the PEX connection. Although expander fittings should hold up much better than compression, crimped, or clamped fittings, roughing it in in copper and running the PEX to a very stable fitting is, pardon the expression, no sweat. :biggrin:

Friday was the inspection, and after looking around for a bit, the inspector turns to me and asks, "Are you an engineer?" I shrugged and answered, "Chemical." Apparently I did quite a nice job on the plumbing, and he particularly liked my manifold setup.

So, yesterday morning, the gas man came by, and I now have hot water, heat, and a functional stovetop. My cats are now flea shampooed (to prevent any from transferring over) and huddling together in their little cardboard bunker. With luck, they'll actually come out sometime this week.

(I actually got Bear out and eating from a can... for about three tentative bites. That was about all she could take before she darted back to the box, but it's about three more than I was expecting.)

Doing the bath/shower stuff in copper just makes it more durable, as you're not putting any intermittent stresses or torsional loads on the PEX connection. Although expander fittings should hold up much better than compression, crimped, or clamped fittings, roughing it in in copper and running the PEX to a very stable fitting is, pardon the expression, no sweat. :biggrin:

Friday was the inspection, and after looking around for a bit, the inspector turns to me and asks, "Are you an engineer?" I shrugged and answered, "Chemical." Apparently I did quite a nice job on the plumbing, and he particularly liked my manifold setup.

I don't trust most plumbers to know how to properly sweat in copper fittings.

Anyway, it's nice to meet another ChemEng dweeb!!!:dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom