Live from Rebreather Forum 3.0 in Orlando FOLLOW THE YELLOW CAVE ARROWS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a6f84266-0737-acd0.jpg

Sorry I did not get a photo of the kilt. I hope someone else will post one.
However here is Curt playing with his banana.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

a6f84266-0811-5828.jpg

Netdoc and TJ from Dayo Scuba

a6f84266-0833-1539.jpg

Chris Brown from Silent World in Key Largo showing an evolution.

a6f84266-08bd-4e2d.jpg
a6f84266-1506-7dbb.jpg

Adam from Capt Slates Atlantis Dive Center and Elaine from Titan showing not just the Titan Rebreather but also lights.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
P5190174.jpg

You wanted Kilts? Here's Richie, Doppler, and HowardE.

[img400]http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/medium/astro.jpg[/img400]
Dr. Nicholas Bird (CEO DAN), ScubaMeg, US Astronaut Dr. Michael Gerhardt, and Kim Bird after Michael's keynote presentation, which included discussions of DCS and space travel, and many other technical topics that included similarities to outer space and underwater environments.

My hind sights...

Rebreather Forum 3 was excellent from many perspectives. I got to meet (and re-meet) many of the top divers of our day. I am not talking about the ones with excellent skills, but the ones who are re-defining the protocols for diving and rebreather diving in particular. It surprised me how many of these I consider friends and who reciprocate that feeling. The biggest insight came from Dr. Richard Pyle. He told us that in 2004 he disagreed with his electronics about a dozen times and that after further investigation it became apparent that he was always right. However, last year he disagreed with his electronics half a dozen times and after the same investigation, it was evident that the electronics were right. There is the beginning of a paradigm shift in rebreather diving to trust electronics and we'll start to see terms like "dive by wire" start to crop up as this trend continues.

You can be sure that I will be at the next one, but it was obvious to me that this experience is not for everyone. If you don't have a pedantic mind set when it comes to rebreathers, you will be wasting time. I only attended a few discussions, and frankly, I felt my eyes starting to roll into my head during one or two of them. This is not the place to learn about rebreather diving: it was the place to take rebreather diving to the next level. For the newly minted rebreather diver, like myself, the discussions were a bit deeper than I am comfortable with. One participant noted on his Facebook page that it was an ego fest and while I could see why he said that, I thought it more of a geek fest. I saw some incredible passion displayed over fairly picayune concepts. You know the feeling, the person is waxing poetic about why THIS is the only way to do things, and you are trying not to smile, because he's standing right beside a rebreather that doesn't do things his way. Yeah, there were a few who truly believed that if they didn't dive it, sell it, train it, then it must be junk. Fortunately, they were a minority, and I found that most of the instructors were competent on more than one machine.

I was not there for the end of the forum where they voted on the conclusions. I hope that someone chimes in on what they decided.

Last edited:
I will be posting a complete report, once I have a chance to get home.

I was there to vote on the concusions and most are motherhood/apple-pie issues but several need to have a light shone on them... instructors keeping current, manufactuer's/agency checklists circulated, some basic accident/incident reporting guidelines/actions.

Show was a little like home-coming but it was a blast to see and speak with so many muckers from the UK, NZ and OZ.

Hi all,

Thanks for the postings about the rebreather forum.

I am just learning to dive. I have completed my classroom and pool dives, and will do my cert. dives next weekend. I have been practicing in the LDS pool for several weeks. Looking to the future though, I am really excited about rebreathers. They seem like the perfect way to dive. I am wanting to learn more about rebreather diving, but I know I need to log lots of open circuit dives, tech dives, etc. first. I am looking for suggestions on what would be the best books, videos, etc. for me to check out about rebreather flying while I am building some experience. I figure the people following the rebreather forum will have the best and most up to date information on this subject, so I was asking on this forum.

Thanks again

Try Rebreather Pro blog.
Hi all,

Thanks for the postings about the rebreather forum.

I am just learning to dive. I have completed my classroom and pool dives, and will do my cert. dives next weekend. I have been practicing in the LDS pool for several weeks. Looking to the future though, I am really excited about rebreathers. They seem like the perfect way to dive. I am wanting to learn more about rebreather diving, but I know I need to log lots of open circuit dives, tech dives, etc. first. I am looking for suggestions on what would be the best books, videos, etc. for me to check out about rebreather flying while I am building some experience. I figure the people following the rebreather forum will have the best and most up to date information on this subject, so I was asking on this forum.

Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom