LIVE from Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds reassuring. Thanks for the reports, Diva. Have a great time.
party-smiley-017.gif

Hi Scubaboard buddies -

Terrible news this morning...the wind is blowing like a mother and the seas are kicking like nobody's business! But that's about as bad as it gets. I've been reading the Roatan message boards, and the political tension seems to be easing somewhat. The curfew is being pushed back until 10:00 pm, so that should liven things up a bit. It's all good on Roatan.

On a personal note, we had a really nice dive yesterday...went to visit Tulio's memorial marker. We cleaned it up and left him some new "bling bling". Check it out on your next dive! :kiss2:

I have been down here for the last 4 days and can only tell you is has been spectacular!!!
Love the feel of this Island. The diving has been great (Bananarama) and the people wonderful. No issues and the curfew has been lifted. They are expecting some more demonstrations later today or tomorrow, but in no way should it impact the island. Even the cruise ship mob was down to a minimum. It seems many have turned away due to the political climate.

Keep you posted on anything further or just PM me. Best regards from the fine island of Roatan!!

Audsred, they were hanging the banners for ya'lls group up yesterday as I was heading back to the dock. Have fun!

Thanks for all the updates! The wife and I will be there in just over a month. We cant wait. Sounds like the unrest is settling down and the diving is still world class!

Be there soon!

There was never unrest on Roatan due to this political issue so I can't imagine what would be settling down.

Of course that is true, but the U.S. news media is in no way offering that information. It would be really nice to reassure prospective divers that it's all good instead of making them feel as if their comments are silly...

The fact is that Roatan is suffering greatly due to cancellations because of fears about the political situation in Honduras. Roatan is safe and anybody contemplating a dive trip there should not be concerned with what is happening in the media or on the mainland...it's a whole different world!

Of course that is true, but the U.S. news media is in no way offering that information. It would be really nice to reassure prospective divers that it's all good instead of making them feel as if their comments are silly...

The fact is that Roatan is suffering greatly due to cancellations because of fears about the political situation in Honduras. Roatan is safe and anybody contemplating a dive trip there should not be concerned with what is happening in the media or on the mainland...it's a whole different world!

Cajun,
Your post is nice and politically correct but part BS as well
Lets look at it.
You quote my facts and then suggest the media that most of us have no control over should report differently? Why bother with my quote?
You say Roatan is a whole different world? It may seem so but like it or not it is the same government The you say
Roatan is safe and anybody contemplating a dive trip there should not be concerned with what is happening
Which I feel very safe today and my wife is comming down Wednesday if flights go through San Pedro or else thursday, but to suggest anyone should not contemplate a trip is pushing it. I visit often and can afford to do so but what if this is a once in a lifetime trip for a family they saved for for years and is cut short by being asked to leave ? Sure they will have stories to tell for a long time but was it worth it? I doubt it would happen, certainly not soon but it is a possibilty flights could change so to suggest no one worry about it is pretty extreme. May I ask how many years you have folowed central American politics?. Lets be honest, all is cool right now, And right now I see no reason to worry, curfew is back but its past my bedtime, I think its 11:30 tonight. I hope all will be great tomorow but until this is really resolved it is against everyones best interest to pretend there is nothing at all to be concerned about and really be honest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom