LIVE from Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CajunDiva

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just to let you all know:

We flew into Roatan yesterday on Continental Airlines - direct flight from Houston. The flight was completely full...moms, dads and tons of kids. There was a group of 45 people coming to Roatan for a wedding.

We saw no signs of trouble, but did note beefed up security at the airport. We have talked to numerous islanders and have found unanimous support for what is going on politically.

We feel completely safe and do not foresee any problems unless the wind keeps kicking like it is today...don't like rocking boats!

Come on down :cool2:

We flew into Roatan yesterday on Continental Airlines - direct flight from Houston. The flight was completely full...moms, dads and tons of kids. There was a group of 45 people coming to Roatan for a wedding.

We saw no signs of trouble, but did note beefed up security at the airport. We have talked to numerous islanders and have found unanimous support for what is going on politically.

We feel completely safe and do not foresee any problems unless the wind keeps kicking like it is today...don't like rocking boats!

Thanks for updating us and please keep us posted on what's going on in Roatan. We leave in 2 weeks and will be there for one.

I was actually more interested in surveying the earthquake damage than worrying about politics. The plan was to take plenty of pictures to share with my scubaboard buddies. Unfortunately, on our first dive at Mary's Place I screwed up and flooded my camera housing...camera is a total loss. The guys here at Fantasy Island are so kind and they have offered me a rental camera, so there may still be hope. This is such a great place...it's like visiting family!

As far as politics go, everyone here is very interested, but in a very civilized way. The concern is more with how the outside world is reacting. Loans to Honduras have been cut off and things could get difficult for the people. I hope it all works out well for the citizens of Honduras.

More later, and hopefully pictures too...:confused:

Which side are they supporting?

From what I have been hearing, they are in support of the ousting of Zelaya. There was a peace march on Roatan July 3rd, here is some video from YouTube - YouTube - RoatanLiving's Channel

Below are Mitch Cummins closing remarks on a speech he gave at the end of the march. Mitch is an American living in Roatan, he was one of the organizers of the march.

"Tomorrow is July 4th. That day holds a very special meaning for Americans.
That's the day my country gained its independence 233 years ago. In the not
too distant future, the world will recognize June 28, 2009 as the day
Honduras cemented democracy and freedom into their history."

VIVA DEMOCRACY! VIVA HONDURAS!
Mitch
Paradise Computers, S.A.
Roatan's #1 Technology Provider Since 1997
Mango Tree Center
Coxen Hole, Roatan

It seems that most Hondurans are supporting the recent coup and the defense of their constitution. At least that is the feeling I capture here in Miami.

I will be down there in a week and am keeping well informed. There appears to be a curfew, although lax set for 9:00 pm. Hopefully matters calm soon.

Just came back from Roatan yesterday. The big concern is how the media is displaying the unrest on the mainland, which couldn't be further from the truth in Roatan. Other than the imposed curfew during the week (we created our own little late night group parties each night around the hotel pool and no one said anything to us at all) , there were NO signs whatsoever of any problems in West End and West Bay. We toured most of the island on Friday and didn't see anything at all that would cause concern. However, the businesses in West End are all closing early each day and some dive shops closing completely because all the incoming tourists are cancelling. We saw dive signup boards that were completely empty after today, and in one case were told dive staff was being let go for the next two weeks due to all the cancellations. I know the US State Department website is encouraging no travel in the area, but having been there all week, I say go and have a good time. Like Cozumel after the last hurricane, Roatan REALLY needs your tourist support right now! As for who the locals are supporting, most of the folks we talked to said the ousted President was bad, and the newly appointed guy is just as bad to the other extreme. They don't like either of them...sounds a lot like our US Presidents! :)

Some posts are wobbling towards :eek:fftopic:

LIVE from Roatan

That's the name of this thread.

All political discussions have been moved to "the Pub", a forum on SB dedicated to such arguments.

This thread's topic would be quite usefully served if we just limited it of day-to-day occurrences on the Island itself.

We do not need this thread being lost from general view by it's being moved to "the Pub"

I'm just going to throw a thanks for the updates in the thread. No politcal comments just interested in Roatan. I have friends leaving on Saturday and I think we are going for our spring 2010 trip (It will all be over before I go hopefully).

Anyway thanks for the updated Info! and Enjoy the rest of the trip. I'll be looking for a trip report with pics.

Hi gang -

I'm still here at Fantasy Island Beach Resort. Things are great. Unfortunately, the island is suffering from many cancellations and people are being forced to take "vacations". It's great for us as divers because the boats aren't crowded, but I feel so bad for these wonderful people. They shouldn't have to struggle like this.

For those of you who are contemplating a trip to Roatan, as of now I have seen absolutely no reason you should be afraid to come on down.

On another note, the earthquake is not as bad as I expected. I was so anxious to get here and see what it looked like, but Roatan is still the most amazing underwater seascape ever...just a little more interesting now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom