Live to Dive Another Day.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tparrent

Contributor
Reaction score
Sand. Endless, undulating waves of sand. Alone with nothing to keep me company but a thirst powerful enough to drop a camel.

Escaping Chicago as the first storm of winter prepared to shut down airports, I had looked forward to sunny beaches, bikini clad lasses and underwater delights advertised on colorful websites as “like nothing you have ever seen before!” I’ve seen sand before.

How did I end up in this desert? More importantly, how was I going to get out?

Chaos, they say, starts with the flapping of a butterfly’s wings. With me, chaos usually starts with a broken synapse. One little electrical misfire in my cranium and somewhere down the line I find myself in an adventure that might me of my own making but seldom of my own choosing.

Last January I came up with the bright idea of escaping Chicago’s chilly embrace with a weeklong sail as working crew aboard the wooden schooner S.V. Denis Sullivan, home port Milwaukee, winter port Miami. Nothing like hard, physical labor in the humid heat of South Florida and the Bahamas to whip myself into shape and beat the winter doldrums. The thrill of standing night watches in chilly, wind whipped rain soon wore off. With little else to do aboard as we sailed pointless circles, I contracted pneumonia to add variety and entertainment.

However, pre-pneumonia and still dreaming of tropical loveliness, I had recalled that my list of lifelong dreams included becoming certified in SCUBA diving. As I tick items off this dream list I cannot shake the feeling that I have somehow swapped my list for someone else’s. Somewhere out there is a fit, active, strong young man who is wondering why his lifelong dream list consists solely of finding a comfortable easy chair in front of a widescreen TV.

A I researched SCUBA – all right, let’s stop this nonsense right here. Yes, SCUBA is an acronym for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus and yes, acronyms should be capitalized but capitalizing SCUBA all over the place seems pretentious and unnecessary. Besides, I can’t type that well so SCUBA will hereafter be referred to as the unpretentious, everyman sport known as scuba. Ahhhh, that feels much better.

As I researched scuba, I discovered that dive shop owners long ago determined that diving without certification is an extremely unsafe activity. Imagine the lawsuits that could endanger the livelihood of scuba professionals if they gave air and gear to untrained vacationers. You could have more lawyers than bodies popping up on tropical beaches. To mitigate this risk, the professionals created a whole slew of certification agencies to provide a buffer between the recreational diver and the dive boat/shop/tank professional. If, along the way, some new divers actually learned a few things, well so much the better.

Seriously, the training regimen could be quite good but it tends to be customer driven and customers want results NOW so what used to be slow, step by step, experiential learning is now as easy as a quick weekend book and swim session. As I have the attention span of a gnat, I signed up for a weekend quickie course. While that sounds easy, it was actually difficult to find a local shop that would let me pick up the pre-course material on a Thursday night with the promise that I would be all read up and ready to go Saturday morning. Most shops thought that was pushing things a little too far but I finally found one with a more relaxed attitude. I read the book Friday night, attended class on Saturday, bought some basic gear and headed to the pool on Sunday for a five hour training session.

Five hours in a pool is a long time. Especially when you can’t swim. I can’t swim. How DID I end up with the wrong dream list?

Somehow I passed the various in-water tests (I backstroked through the swim test and floated on my back for the treading water test) and, with my handy dandy referral card in hand, I headed to Florida where I would complete my four Open Water Certification dives in the Keys after my schooner folly.

Diving with a cold is unwise. Diving with sinus congestion can be dangerous. Diving with pneumonia is what I wanted to do. Even after the schooner captain discussed medevacing me off the ship at one point, I was still determined to dive when I got back to Miami. One throaty call to the dive boat captain nixed that. I believe his words were “I really hate doing body recoveries.”

So scuba faded into the background, where it belonged, until the end of summer. Having nothing else to do one weekend, I decided that strapping on 80 pounds of gear and wading into a murky, cold, flooded quarry sounded like fun. I called the dive shop to set up my certification dives but they told me they were full for the weekend. Scuba certification drifted away again and common sense looked like it might actually win a round for once.

Unfortunately, on a simple drive through the countryside one fine autumn day, I happened to pass the scuba shop. I stopped in to ask how long my pre-certification training was good for and they told me that I had to complete the open water dives within 12 months of passing my written and pool tests. I hung out for awhile and looked at all the cool equipment. Ignoring the fact that most of this equipment was designed to try and keep you alive in a decidedly hostile environment – IF you used it correctly – I thought it all looked cool. I also thought that I never wanted to go through those pool sessions again because they were so tiring for a non-swimmer such as myself. What I did NOT think was “Why do you, one who is so uncomfortable in the water, even CONSIDER diving? Do you really need another dangerous, expensive sport?” No, I didn’t think that.

So I signed up for a refresher course in the pool (no swim test!) and planned my diving getaway. I dreamt of all sorts of lush, tropical islands. I could see myself relaxing poolside after my cert dives, regaling the lasses with stories of shark battles and sunken treasures.

I ended up in Ft. Lauderdale instead. A city consisting entirely of equal parts concrete and mildew. Fortunately, there were many bikini clad lasses. Unfortunately, they were forty years my senior and I’m no young pup myself.

This trip was all business. Mostly business for the dive shop that outfitted me with an absolutely amazing amount of gear. Given my newbie scubie status, I did not have the experience to separate the hype from the helpful. I bought a lot of hype. Pretty good gear too. At least that’s what the brochures and dive magazines said and if you can’t trust them then who can you trust? Besides, I needed the best. I was planning to actually go under the water on the open ocean. Why? I have no idea.

On one of the last flights to leave Chicago before a storm shut everything down, I paged through several dive magazines and discovered that I could become a professional diver. Of course the good jobs were in industrial diving. Low pay, high risk – that’s the life for me. With a lot of hard work, I could actually trade the stress of sitting comfortably behind a desk all day for the pressure of 200 feet of water on my body. Maybe not.

As we flew over the Everglades, I marveled that some people actually claim to enjoy exploring that fetid wasteland. Upon arriving in Ft. Lauderdale, I could understand the attraction. Give me gators and bat sized mosquitoes any day over the concrete and noise of one of America’s favorite retirement destinations. Scratch that. After a day wandering around Pompano Beach, I am convinced that people do not go there to retire. They go there to die. Slowly.

The rest of my party of divers had arrived a day early so they could get in some deep dives without a newbie slowing them down. I met them early that evening after they returned from their dive. Walking into a reeking hotel room littered with spent bodies and wet gear, I met my new buddies. After listening to their tales of zero visibility and 8 foot surface swells, I returned to my room to see if I had receipts so I could return all my gear. This did not look, smell or sound like the glossy brochures.

In order to protect the reputations of the innocent, I could change everyone’s name. In this story, however, there are no innocents. Just a bunch of gnarly scuba dudes. I will, nonetheless, change their names because they all carry big knives and my regulator hoses are not made of Kevlar.

First up is our fearless instructor. With over 2000 dives under his weight belt, he’s seen it all – although his mask was so foggy underwater that I wonder how he sees anything at all. We’ll call him DDD for Deep Diving Dude.

Next is a dashing young man who became certified many years ago but has just recently taken up the sport again. He has a military background and seems well prepared for any eventuality. His judgment can be measured by his preference for camping outside, up North, in the winter. We’ll call him Captain Snowman.

Every team needs a comely lass so we had one of those as well. More than just eye candy, this lady comes from the U.S. Navy and has experience in sandy locales, if you know what I mean. She’ll be Miss Wave to us.

Rounding out the cast for this adventure is Scubie Doobie, a social animal forever in search of the next narcing experience whether it be from nitrogen or other (legal) chemicals. Doobie is the kind of guy you want by your side in a bar fight because he’s one tough customer but also because he’s so darned friendly that no one wants to fight him. He also knows every barkeep in the country.

Miss Wave, Scubie Doobie and Captain Snowman were all down in Florida for some advanced certifications which included, I believe, deep diving, wreck diving and Nitrox. Doobie was definitely disappointed when he found out that Nitrox is not nitrous oxide.

I was to be joined by three or four other Open Water students but they were unable to make it out of Chicago when the storm hit. I could dig the resulting one to one student/teacher ratio. Triple D wasn’t so happy about all those instructor fees getting snowed on in Chicago but he got over it. Until he realized that this second job was snowplowing and would not exactly benefit from his absence.

We went out for dinner Thursday night so I could meet my buddies and listen to all manner of improbable tales. I also witnessed first hand the hunger that diving apparently generates. Whoa.

The next morning I rose bright and early for our 8:30 boat boarding. Doobie and Captain Snowman decided a nice hearty breakfast was more important than a silly dive boat schedule so we hung out at a restaurant overlooking the marina for awhile until the dive boat captain had turned a nice rosy shade of rage at our lateness. We gathered our gear and climbed aboard. The dive boat captain entertained us with a long list of things he was not responsible for and then we were off.

As this was my first dive with my spanking new gear, I very carefully assembled it. Triple D then unassembled it and put it back together in a more standard configuration. What’s happened to the spirit of innovation?

DDD also reminded me that I might want some weight in my integrated BC. I wish I could remember things like that. He suggested 12 pounds, I suggested 24 pounds and we settled on 20. I wasn’t real comfortable with this because I had corked in the pool with 22 pounds and a 7 mm suit. Now I was in salt but with a 3 mm. suit. I figured I needed more but I deferred to my more experienced pals.

In addition to our motley crew, there were two lobstermen aboard. They went off first, quickly followed by Scubie Doobie, Miss Wave and Captain Snowman. They all headed down to the so-called reef while Deep Diving Dude patiently explained that this first dive would be a get acquainted session wherein I could show him my degree of comfort in the water. Yeah, well, my degree of comfort is darned near zero!

Triple D stepped off into the three foot swell and I immediately followed with a graceful giant stride. No hesitation, no nerves, no worries. Until I hit the water. Then I started bobbing like a cork with my feet annoyingly kicked up near my head. I saw the boat drifting away. Hold on just a minute here! Why am I off the boat??? Years of solo sailing had taught me the importance of staying ON THE BOAT and here I was floating free! Not good, not good, not good. I actually thought about swimming back to the boat until I saw the dive platform surging up and down. Well forget that! Just get me underwater!

I let some air out of my BC but I am one buoyant dude and my feet absolutely refused to go down. Who would have thought that my problem would be NOT sinking? My instructor quickly analyzed the situation and suggested “Bend your legs DOWN.” Hey, it worked! I still had muscle control. Very cool. As air hissed out of my BC I slowly sank into the tropical loveliness of the sea.

The heck I did! This was Ft Lauderdale after a strong East wind. I sank into MURK. No pretty colors, no flashing fish. Just gunk in the water and visibility of about an arm length. Lovely.

After gracefully settling to the 45 foot bottom (hey, a thunk can be graceful!), DDD checked to see if I was ok. Surprisingly, I correctly gave him the “ok” sign rather than the far more natural and sensible “thumbs up.” This reminded me to check my air to see if I had run low yet. Nope, still good after 2 minutes.

I must have looked very comfortable because DDD immediately went into the skills tests. On the other hand, maybe he was hoping for an early flunk out. I flooded my mask and cleared it. I removed my regulator and replaced it. I did a few other scuba type things to entertain him but he soon grew bored and started making humorous hand signals.

Once I realized he was trying to communicate with me, I started paying attention. First he pointed at himself and then gave a thumbs up. Well, yeah, I guess you are cool but you don’t have to advertise it. The he pointed at me and put his hand flatly horizontal. But I don’t feel like lying down. I’m not really that tired. Oh wait a minute! I get it. You are going to the surface and you want me to stay here. Makes no sense to me but, hey, you’re the pro. I ok’ed him and waved goodbye as he swam off into the murk.

I let some more air out of my BC so that I could comfortably settle down on my knees in the sand. I looked around awhile, checked my air, blew bubbles and waited. And waited. And waited. I looked around.

Sand. Endless, undulating waves of sand. Alone with nothing to keep me company but a thirst powerful enough to drop a camel.

Ok, this must be some kind of test. Don’t panic. Just chill out. I had air. I checked again. Yup, I had air. I could stay here a long time. No problem. No problem at all.
Still got air? Yup. Everything’s cool. Hmmm, I don’t remember this test listed in the book. Must be designed to weed out the nervous nellies. I’m cool though.

Kind of hard staying in one place with all this current. Little more air out of the BC. Ok, I haven’t moved more than a foot. The instructor must be lurking just out of sight. Except that I can now see quite a ways and there’s nothing for him to hide behind. Just sand.

All right, enough of this. Why’d you leave me down here? Huh? You think I would panic? Not me. Cool customer.

Not much to look at. Just sand. No fish. Well, I guess I can spend my time productively by playing with my fancy dive computer. Let’s see what all these buttons do. Well look at that – lot’s of nice displays. Still got air. Still got 15 minutes of bottom time. Even the date and time are correct.

15 minutes!?!?!?!?! How long have I been down here??? I should have had about 60 minutes of air to start with. Even taking into account my newbie breathing rate (which was starting to accelerate), I should have been good for 45 minutes. I only had 15 left? I better start thinking of Plan B – like surfacing!

Hold on, settle down. You’ve still got 2000 psi. That doesn’t make any sense. I started with 3150. Oh! I’ve been DOWN 15 minutes! I still have plenty of time. Good.

Hum de dum. Ho de do. La la la. No worries. Except for the darned current. It’s not pushing me anywhere but it sure is going to make it tough for ol’ Triple D to swim back. Real tough. This doesn’t make any sense. How does he expect to find me in the sand with no navigational clues, a strong current and low visibility? Uh oh.

What the heck is that noise? Sounds like Daffy Duck but far away. Maybe a dolphin. That would be cool. Wait, what if that’s the recall signal? The skipper didn’t tell us about a recall signal. Don’t they just bang on the boat hull? What the heck is up with Daffy?

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Now THAT’S close!

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Wait, that sounds like it’s right here. I bet my computer has some fancy alarm on it. Sure enough, look at that. It’s telling me that I have only 1500 psi left. That’s thoughtful of it.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Wow, this could get annoying. Let’s press a few buttons and make that noise go away. Much better. I wonder where that silly instructor has gone to? If he doesn’t get back here by the time I get down to 750, I swear I’m going up by myself. Of course the boat will have probably drifted a mile or so away in this current. At least I’ll be up top in the air. And the swells. All by myself. Lovely.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

What now?

“Surface dude. You are getting low on air.”

My computer can talk? I must be narcing. Wow, even at just 45 feet.

“Might be wise to ascend now.”

Nope, DDD told me to stay here and that’s what I’m going to do.

“Get up there, you newbie!”

I can’t heeeeeaaaarrrr you.

“Your warranty is now void. My warranty is fine and the diver who finds me will be entitled to a full year of free service. You, on the other hand, are toast. Shark bait. Bottom blubber. Goodbye.”

I will not ascend uncontrollably. I will not ascend uncontrollably. I am not gripped by panic. I am not gripped by …AHHHHHHHHH! Holy mackerel! Something’s BITING my arm. OMIGOD! OMIGOD! Where’s my scissors? AHHHHHHHH! Oh, it’s just Deep Diving Dude. Whew.

My instructor looked considerably more panicked than I. He immediately requested an air check. I was fine at more than 1000 psi. Plenty of time.

We swam around a bit and actually arrived at what passes for a “Beautiful Tropical Coral Reef!” in the Ft. Lauderdale brochures. Looked like a lump of mud with a few disconsolate fish to me.

DDD signaled for us to ascend. I actually remembered how to do this! Left hand on the BC pressure hose, right hand overhead. Let out air as I go up. As I go up. Um, I’m not going up. C’mon now. Bounce, bounce, bounce. Nope, not going anywhere. Lovely. DDD is already halfway up but he turns and sees me and comes back down. Gives me the “what’s up?” signal. I jump around a little to show him that I’m stuck on the bottom. He rolls his eyes and makes little feet finning motions with his fingers. Right.

So we SWIM up as I let air out of my BC. DDD signals for a three minute safety stop at 15 feet but I’m going pretty good now. I dump all the air out of my BC but I’m still on the up elevator and there’s no stopping at the 15th floor. Zoooooooom! Right to the top. I felt it coming so I gave a huge exhalation all the way up but there was no stopping this underwater freight train.

As soon as I cleared the surface, I completely filled my BC with air so I wouldn’t sink and drown. Right, like I could have gone underwater if I wanted to. That nearly empty AL80 on my back was acting as a nice life preserver as I bobbed around.

I swam back to the boat and actually got out of the water without embarrassing myself. (A miracle!) My instructor immediately followed and before I could say “Where the heck were you?” he asked “Where the heck were you???”

“Right where you left me dude.”

“No,no, no. I wanted to you to swim along underneath me while I surfaced! I was looking for the reef.”

“Um, the reef is on the bottom DDD. That’s the best place to look for it. How was I supposed to follow you when the visibility was 10 feet and you were going 40 feet above me? Besides, you didn’t make that little swimming motion with your fingers. You just signaled ‘stay down’ not ‘follow me’.”

“Oh my god. You’re not going to tell anyone, are you?”

“Nah, I’ll just post it on the Internet. No one’s likely to see it there.”

He sat down with his head in his hands and then looked up said “Wait a minute.”

“Yeah I know,” I preempted him. “After losing sight of my buddy for two minutes I should have searched for one minute and then surfaced.”

“That’s right. You don’t just sit down there for 15 minutes.”

“20 minutes.”

“Whatever. You should have surfaced. I was looking all over for you. I was even recalling you with my quacker.”

He was right of course. That would have been the sensible thing to do. I’ll remember that next time. The good part of all this was that I never came close to panicking. I just played around with my computer, relaxed and told myself that I would ascend when my air reached 750 psi. I should have surfaced earlier but at least I didn’t do anything actually bad, stupid or dangerous – and I can usually be counted on to hit two of those three. I felt pretty good about it.
After a surface interval of 45 minutes, I added another 4 pounds of ballast and followed DDD off the transom. This time my feet assumed the normal position and I had no problem whatsoever descending. I even achieved a nice neutral buoyancy at depth and learned to drop the stupid low pressure hose and rely on my breathing instead. We went through a whole bunch of skills tests without a hitch. I was actually having a good time.

On this dive we came down on what passes for a reef off Ft Lauderdale. Still muddy brown from the prior day’s wave action and not exactly teeming with life but we did manage to spot a lobster. He didn’t look anything like the big, robust lobsters of Maine. Maybe they come to Florida to wither into nothingness as well.

I ascended completely under control and hovered at 15 feet for my safety stop. When I finally surfaced I was feeling pretty darned proud of myself. I had successfully completed half of my open water certification dives without a mishap. Things were going uncharacteristically smoothly for me.

Little did I know what fate held in wait for me the next day!

Oh how good it feels to be home SAFE from my scuba diving misadventure in South Florida. Surprisingly safe, as you shall see.

I was in Pompano Beach to finish up my Open Water SCUBA certification with four dives. My first two dives were chronicled in an earlier thread. The events of Saturday, December 10, 2005 deserve their own telling.

A little background is in order. I am an active member of an Internet community known as the Trailer Sailors (www.trailersailor.com). Through this group I have met many fine and upstanding sailors. We have major get-togethers at least once a year in addition to many informal sailing outings. Several years ago I met a sailor I will refer to as simply “Charles”. He liked to spin yarns occasionally the same as I did. We became friends and I even met him to go sailing in the Keys one year. Charles is not only a sailor but a very active diver as well. He loves to go lobstering and scavenging for “spare” anchors. Some of them aren’t even attached to boats! Given his diving experience, I thought it would be cool if he came along on my certification dives. As the Masters of Disasters we would certainly generate a story or two. Did we ever. Read on if you have the stomach for it.

Charles and I were scheduled to dive twice Saturday morning and then go sailing in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the rest of the dive team wanted to do some deep dives on Saturday morning. I should note that my instructor offered to complete my certification at 115 feet breathing Nitrox but I, for some reason, did not feel quite comfortable with this small deviation from normal certification practices which call for dives no deeper than 60 feet. I am not qualified for Nitrox either but none of this seemed to bother anyone else. I decided to delay my dives until the afternoon. In order to contact Charles, I activated the Trailer Sailor Emergency Communications Network. Charles muttered something about “Well, THAT changes my plans but I … guess…. I can make a few ‘adjustments.’“ We agreed to meet for lunch at 11:30.

Following a rather interesting and musical lunch (a diner nearby serenaded us with impromptu and loud karaoke) we boarded the boat and began to set up our gear. After trying out various innovative arrangements, I decided to revert to the boring but apparently safe standard methods of attaching my regulator to the air tank. I then detached it so that I could actually put my buoyancy compensator on the tank first so I didn’t have to look like a moron snaking all my hoses through everything.

Charles then gave me a nice present of some special Charles Family Pudding. He seemed a little disappointed that I didn’t snarf it down right away. I felt it might be better to try mystery food AFTER safely surfacing. He scowled and put it in the cooler.

Up to this point, Charles didn’t really look like he was planning to dive at all. While everyone else was gearing up, he stood around in shorts and a t-shirt with all his gear comfortably stowed in his bag. Once I turned down the pudding offer, he reluctantly began unpacking his gear. Remember that.

Being a new scuba diver and a real mark for slick salesmen, I had all the latest and greatest gear. Charles appeared quite interested in my bc in particular and spent a long time bent over it looking at all the straps and buckles while I got into my wetsuit.

Finally satisfied that my gear was acceptable, he pulled his…um…”bc” out of his bag. Everyone on the boat stopped and stared at this “device”. It basically consisted of a steel plate bolted onto a bright orange under-the-seat airline inflatable life jacket. I asked him which plane he had liberated it from but he claimed he got it in 1956 from Scuba Joe’s. I wonder if Scuba Joe stencils “Pan Am” on the back of all of his gear?

Charles’ regulator and other gear were similarly quaint and antique. His shorty wetsuit was actually new enough that it still had a couple of spots of neoprene on it. While I was commenting that he might get a bit chilly in a shorty, he seemed to be measuring my brand new hyperstretch full wetsuit for fit. Remember that.

The one piece of Charles’ equipment that actually looked up to date was a pair of EMT snips. He took great pains to show me how shiny and sharp they were and how he had oiled them up to keep them corrosion free. He rather strongly insisted that I touch the blades to see how greasy they were even though I was rather busy at the time. I obliged and gently pushed the sharp blades away from my rather vital air hoses. Remember that.

I asked the divemaster for 24 pounds of weights. Charles was astonished by this and exclaimed “I only need 12 pounds!” That just goes to show who has the more naturally buoyant personality :D He insisted that I did not need that much weight and my instructor chimed in as well with his opinion that I was going to be ridiculously over ballasted.

I explained that the day before I dove with 20 pound on my first dive. When I ascended to 15 feet with a nearly empty tank and a completely empty bc, I shot uncontrollably to the surface. NOT a good thing! On the second dive I had 24 pounds and was under control at all times. After this explanation, Charles eyes really lit up and he said it was crazy for me to carry more than 16 pounds. Remember that. I stupidly compromised at 22 pounds.

We arrived at the site of a wreck in 60 feet of water and my other companions gleefully jumped ship and went exploring. Next off was a large class of students from a Ft Lauderdale dive shop. They all jumped at once, falling all over each other in the process. I waited for the carnage to clear – or at least to sink – before shuffling to the dive platform. Charles had finally put on his gear (which took about three seconds) and lined up behind me. My instructor stepped off, swam a few yards away and then called for me.

As I stepped off the boat, I heard a very loud SNAP! just before hitting the water. As I bobbed to the surface, I could tell that I had a major gear failure. My bc was struggling valiantly to free itself from me and go off exploring on its own. A crucial buckle had failed on the right side and without it there was no way I could dive and keep all the gear with me. Or so I thought. I snapped everything back in place but it came apart again with the slightest tug. The divemaster on the boat saw something was wrong and immediately jumped in to assist. Charles, meanwhile, had swum AWAY and was hanging onto the descent line. He kept saying “I have cable ties!” even though I had not yet told anyone exactly what the problem was. Remember that.

My dive instructor swam over to take a look and said it looked ok to him. The divemaster gave him a funny look. I would have given him a decidedly less funny look but by this time I was half sunk and trapped in my bc with one arm while the other flailed freely. I swam back to the boat (NOT an easy thing to o all tangled up in 80 pounds of gear ) and reboarded.

I explained the problem to Charles and my dive instructor. Charles kept shouting that he had cable ties they could use. The instructor thought this was a grand idea and told the boat captain to give it a try. As he threaded cable ties through the faulty buckle, I realized how absurd this was. The ties just MIGHT hold but they would also prevent me from making any adjustments or releasing the buckles if necessary. I mentioned this and Charles said, “Hey, don’t worry about it! I’ll be right there with you and I can cut you out of the bc if necessary. I’ve got those nice shiny EMT scissors!” Remember that.

The instructor told the captain to tie me up and throw me in. The captain responded that he was not going to truss up a student like a turkey but would be happy to watch the instructor do it himself. I told everyone that I was canceling the dive until I trusted the equipment. The instructor then came aboard to look at it and tried again to convince me to dive anyway. In the background, Charles kept reminding everyone that he had cable ties and could cut me out of any trouble. I finally insisted that I was NOT going in the water. I suggested the instructor and Charles dive together and we would see what we could do after everyone got back aboard. Charles slowly sank under the waves with a very disappointed look on his face.

I shrugged off my gear and took a closer look. The buckle was definitely defective as it had no teeth on the male end to grip the female end. I wondered aloud how it could have possibly held together the previous day. The captain took a close look and declared “It’s not defective, the teeth have been broken off.” Remember that.

The captain went to work on the buckle with a file, trying to create some temporary teeth that would allow me to dive the next round. I stomped around the boat bemoaning the fact that I would miss my final certification dive and have to make another trip South to do it all over again. I went forward to strip off my wetsuit.

That’s when I saw them.

Stuffed behind the bench where Charles had geared up was a webbed holster containing….HIS EMT SCISSORS!

How was Charles planning to “cut me out of any trouble” without his snips? Why had he been carrying cable ties anyway? WHAT had he been doing bent over my bc for so long????

Suddenly things started clicking into place. Charles was tired of having another storyteller around the Trailer Sailors so he had decided to off me!

First, he tried the poison pudding trick. He had actually told me that the pudding had been in his family for four generations. I thought he meant the recipe for the pudding but obviously he meant the pudding itself! That’s why he didn’t bother to get his gear out. He never thought he would actually have to dive at all.

Second, while I thought he was admiring my physique, he was actually sizing up my wetsuit. Eat a few more pizzas and trim a little off the ankles and wrists and it would fit just fine – after it had been stripped from my cold, lifeless body!

Next, he obviously needed an updated BC. Once I no longer needed it he knew he could get it cheap from my estate. Even better would be if it floated free and he claimed it as salvage! Faulty buckle? I think not. I think sabotage!

Recall his advice about weights? Sure, get me to dive with half my normal weights. Once that air tank gets a little low my buoyancy will shoot me to the surface. Who’s going to question a coroner’s finding of lung over-expansion as cause of death? It happens all the time but usually it’s an accident!

Who carries cable ties to a dive outing? Someone with criminal intent, that’s who! Sure, tie me into my bc and promise to cut me loose if there’s a problem. Oh darn, the snips are still on the boat. Not to worry, because the investigation will find my fingerprints cleanly preserved in the grease where Charles practically forced me to hold them. “Gosh,” he’d tell them, “I handed the scissors to Tom but I guess his lungs exploded before he could cut himself loose!”

Not only had Charles planned to deep six me, he had worked up several premeditated contingency plans!

Well, two could play at this game. I went back to the boat captain who had given up on fixing my buckle. He told me that he didn’t think the repair would hold. I told him that I didn’t care. I was going diving – with a vengeance.

Thirty minutes later Charles surfaced with a disappointed look on his face.

“Visibility stinks down there,” he declared.

What’s the matter, I thought, disappointed that you didn’t see my CORPSE?!?!?

“That must be why you didn’t see THESE!” I said, whipping out the EMT scissors for all to see. “So how were you planning to ‘cut me out’ of any trouble? Not that it would have been necessary because…” I paused dramatically, reaching into a pocket on my bc “I have my OWN EMT snips!”

Charles visibly swallowed and I don’t think the dryness in his mouth came from tank air.

“Now that my bc is fixed, I’m ready to go diving. How about you Charles?” I snarled.

“I…uh….I…uh….I need to fix my camera,” he responded lamely and went below decks and closed the doors.

When he returned I asked him what was wrong with the camera and he said it “jammed” but that he had “fixed” it. Unfortunately, the first few pictures had been lost while fixing it. Yeah, I bet. That’s because those first few pictures had been faked long BEFORE the dive. No doubt they showed Charles in a heroic pose attempting to save my life. Well, those pictures would sure be a smoking gun now that I was still breathing!

While we waited for the second dive, I slyly asked if people usually wore gloves while diving. Charles claimed he ALWAYS wore gloves because he liked to poke his hands into holes and dig up stuff off the bottom (like perfectly good anchors!). He showed me his pair of “diving” gloves. They were about the size of a soccer goalie’s gloves and covered with orange chain mail.

“Why didn’t you wear those on the first dive? I asked.

“I must have forgot,” he muttered.

Sure, you always wear gloves but then forget them this time. Maybe you knew you couldn’t possibly claim to have tried to use the scissors to free me from your trap if you were seen wearing those gargantuan gloves. Maybe the gloves were not in the staged pictures that had now been conveniently “ruined”. The level of premeditation here is mind boggling!

We prepared to enter the water for the second dive but this time I was prepared. No turning my back on Snidely. I executed a backwards roll off the boat so I could keep Brennan in sight the whole time.

Once we reached the bottom, Charles sulked in the sand while my instructor took me through the skills tests. I even detected a snarly scowl around his regulator as I perfectly doffed and donned my now repaired bc. Oh, the best laid plans of slugs and pirates.....

Charles then took my picture to prove that I was actually alive when we reached the bottom. Foolishly, he offered me the camera to take his picture. Getting cute now, he removed his regulator while I set up the shot. Well, if you’re gonna take a picture, you should do it right. So I carefully framed the shot. Then I checked the flash. Then I stepped back a bit for a better angle. Then I monkeyed around with the camera to see if there were any F-stops to play with. By this time, Charles’ grin was wearing thin and his Florida tanned face was going a little pale. When it finally dawned on him what I knew and what I was doing, his eyes grew wide and I snapped the shot. His first breath on the regulator expanded him like a puffer fish and I thought he would go shooting to the surface himself. After all, who would question a coroner’s finding of lung overexpansion as cause of death? It happens all the time.

Since he had doubtlessly scammed some of MY weights, he did manage to stay on the bottom. As he gasped and choked himself back to full consciousness, I noticed that he was wearing his massive dive gloves. That gave me a little warning regarding his next attempt.

With both of us now fully aware of the situation, I started to hum the theme song from James Bond while I waited for buxom babes and special operations soldiers with spear guns to arrive.

Instead, Charles guided us over to a reef, pausing briefly while a school of mackerel went shooting by. I immediately thought to look where they came from and see if a big predator was there. Charles, a big predator himself, was there so I figured the barracudas would chow down on him before they got to me.

Once we reached the reef, Charles immediately swam to the bottom of a ledge and started pointing excitedly at something under the ledge. He kept motioning me to come closer, closer, closer until I saw a shark sleeping there. Charles them smacked the shark on the snout with his big shark-proof gloves to wake him and again motioned me to come closer. Sure, I’ll just stick my bare hand in there. Right where you BAITED the shark for weeks ahead of time! The shark calmly swam away and avoided Charles pathetic attempt to grab him by the tail.

It was now time to head up for a brief surf ace interval before my final certification dive. Charles preceded me to the surface where he seemed to be swimming in circles. I pooped up after a nicely controlled ascent to find him all tangled in the dive flag line he had been carrying. Snared in his own trap! He tried to untangle himself but eventually turned to my instructor for help. Pathetically, he then tried to entangle me – right in broad daylight on the surface! I easily slipped under the surface and out of his snare.

I had one last skill to perform and it was one of the hardest for me. I had to take off my bc on the surface and then put it back on. Normally this should be easy enough since it is all done at the surface. Unfortunately, I can’t swim. There were only two of us on the surface who knew that and my instructor was not one of them. As I took the bc off, I saw Charles swimming over to “help” me. I got that bc back on and buckled in record time.

“Let’s dive,” I snarled as I released my air and slipped under the waves.

One more dive stood between me and certification. One more dive for Charles to carry out his evil plans. This time I kept well away from him except for the obligatory “buddy” picture. Did you see a smile on my face in that picture? I think not.

A little more bottom swimming and I was ready to surface. My air was rapidly running out and I still had a safety stop to make. Charles knew this and he knew a few other things as well. He knew that a new diver used up air more quickly than an experience one. He knew that I was underweighted and that a nearly empty tank would increase my buoyancy even further. He knew that I knew of his plans so far. Most of all, he knew that he really wanted to score some cheap gear at an estate sale.

Charles and the instructor ascended to 15 feet for the three minute stop. I came up more slowly, carefully controlling my buoyancy. I stopped at 20 feet because I knew that I would cork up to the top if I rose any higher. Charles kept motioning me up but I stayed put until the three minutes were up. With my air running dangerously low, I kicked upwards and, sure enough, I rocketed up. Charles maniacal grin vanished as he saw me forcefully expel my breath to both slow my ascent and decrease any chance of lung expansion. I surfaced without incident and swam to the boat.

As I climbed aboard, congratulations were offered all around as my instructor declared me “certified.” I proudly threw my chest out and then gasped as I realized I had not loosened my BC since I had tightened it up on the bottom. Everyone had a good laugh at that. Charles just glumly stared at all my shiny new dive gear.

Sorry Charlie, no estate sale this time!

Wonderful, wonderful stuff. Thank you so much....I haven't laughed so much in ages. (the rest of the staff have been giving me strange looks....but I don't care! :D )

. . . and I thought the journal of MY OW class was funny!

Oh my! What a wonderful account. It made me prone to burst into random laughter and receive strange looks from those around me. That was great!

Back
Top Bottom